Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Lol, Pronman going full Pronman and rating Byram's skating higher than Makar. :facepalm:

- Makar destroys Byram in terms of skating and I don't consider it close.
- Puck skills is fine.
- Makar getting underrated in the physical department, Byram getting overrated.
- Makar is level or two higher in the hockey sense for me as well.
- Byram has a better, heavier, and more consistent shot.

I actually agree with this. I was a bit surprised he rated Makar's physicality so low and I think Makar is the clear better skater. I'd like to see Byram at the NHL level on the other traits.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually agree with this. I was a bit surprised he rated Makar's physicality so low and I think Makar is the clear better skater. I'd like to see Byram at the NHL level on the other traits.

The only way Byram's skating should be rated over Makar's is efficiency. With how explosive Makar is, I think you'll see his game change if he has to play big minutes. Whereas, I think Byram will be able to maintain a similar level of play regardless of minutes (within reason).

Who knows though, maybe Byram has been doing crazy skating drills and comes into camp next year blowing everyone out of the water.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Byram is a more efficient and smoother skater than Makar. I can see in that area where his skating is rated higher than Makar's. Makar is more explosive and dynamic... but that is still a key to Byram's skating too. I don't think either have 25+ minute skating in their games just simply because of how they create separation with it and separation is key to today's NHL.

On pure edges, transitions, smoothness and efficiency it goes:

Girard

Byram

Makar

On dynamic burst and acceleration:

Makar

Byram

Girard

I'd say Makar has the best skating overall, followed by G then Byram. They are all just different. I do worry a touch about Byram (and all prospects) so worried about packing on weight that it makes them lose their burst. Seen it far too many times over the years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That one makes a lot more sense. There have been some iconic players to don that number (Trottier, Sakic, Richards, etc.). Jonathan Toews wears it precisely because he idolized Sakic growing up.

But 37!? Which hugely popular player wore that number back in the day? It just seems like one of those stock numbers that gets randomly handed to players when they enter the league. A lot of the 37s for the Avs switched when they finally got a chance to do so. Drury did, O'Reilly did, and I'm guessing Compher will if they let him (he wore 7 or 17 mostly in his college/international stint). The Avs don't seem to care too much about what number a player wears but they appear to want a player to choose that number and stick with it.

Side note: A number that I thought would be snatched up right away, including by MacKinnon, is 22. Still available and yet no one wants it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pronman is still way too high on Jost. I hope GM's are reading this.
Unfortunately they watched the playoffs.

Friedman said at the deadline there was a lot of interest in Jost but no offers good enough for Sakic to move him. Unfortunately for us, those offers will likely never be as good as they were at the deadline again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Friedman said at the deadline there was a lot of interest in Jost but no offers good enough for Sakic to move him. Unfortunately for us, those offers will likely never be as good as they were at the deadline again.
We'll have to take our loss and move on then. We need someone else in that roster spot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs move Jost, there will be some scouts who believe in him and push for him. He's not likely to be more than a throw in for a larger deal or a late 2nd/early 3rd though.

Reactions: McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

At the deadline GM's were still expecting the cap to rise, but with what has transpired since then with a flat cap for 3+ years I think it's fair to say that the value of cheap young roster players has gone up.

Jost may not be lighting the league up offensively, but he's still young; solid defensively; and will likely have a cap hit around $1.5-2m which would be very cheap for a player capable of playing on the 3rd line of many teams.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There likely wasn't anything that good on the table at the deadline for Jost. I agree with Henchy, he will be part and parcel of some kind of package deal if he goes--but no matter how highly some other teams rank him he's not going to get anything substantial on his own.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That one makes a lot more sense. There have been some iconic players to don that number (Trottier, Sakic, Richards, etc.). Jonathan Toews wears it precisely because he idolized Sakic growing up.

But 37!? Which hugely popular player wore that number back in the day? It just seems like one of those stock numbers that gets randomly handed to players when they enter the league. A lot of the 37s for the Avs switched when they finally got a chance to do so. Drury did, O'Reilly did, and I'm guessing Compher will if they let him (he wore 7 or 17 mostly in his college/international stint). The Avs don't seem to care too much about what number a player wears but they appear to want a player to choose that number and stick with it.

Side note: A number that I thought would be snatched up right away, including by MacKinnon, is 22. Still available and yet no one wants it.

Didn’t Hunwick have 22 when MacKinnon joined the team?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Lol, Pronman going full Pronman and rating Byram's skating higher than Makar. :facepalm:

- Makar destroys Byram in terms of skating and I don't consider it close.
- Puck skills is fine.
- Makar getting underrated in the physical department, Byram getting overrated.
- Makar is level or two higher in the hockey sense for me as well.
- Byram has a better, heavier, and more consistent shot.
The good news is Byram is at least a good skater.

Reactions: Ararana

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Didn’t Hunwick have 22 when MacKinnon joined the team?

Yeah it was taken by someone when he joined up, but even when it was freed up, he stuck with 29, and now I'm guessing that'll be what ends up being lifted to the rafters when I'm a very old man.

Something similar happened with Girard--frickin' Mironov had his 94, so he went with the reverse in 49, but he's sticking with it even though Mironov is a distant memory. I'm guessing the Avs just don't like it when players switch numbers--they don't want to re-do previously sold jerseys to fans I guess. :laugh:

And since I'm derailing this thread may as well go the whole nine yards--I still remember going to an Avs game wearing my then-brand new Stastny 26 jersey and seeing someone a few rows down sporting a Stastny 62. Thank the Hockey Gods Liles let him have his old man's number because 62 just...didn't look right.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Byram is a more efficient and smoother skater than Makar. I can see in that area where his skating is rated higher than Makar's. Makar is more explosive and dynamic... but that is still a key to Byram's skating too. I don't think either have 25+ minute skating in their games just simply because of how they create separation with it and separation is key to today's NHL.

On pure edges, transitions, smoothness and efficiency it goes:

Girard

Byram

Makar

On dynamic burst and acceleration:

Makar

Byram

Girard

I'd say Makar has the best skating overall, followed by G then Byram. They are all just different. I do worry a touch about Byram (and all prospects) so worried about packing on weight that it makes them lose their burst. Seen it far too many times over the years.

What about Timmins skating? He’s got to be up there at the top of both lists in terms of burst and smoothness. :naughty::naughty:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m pretty sure it’s just too much for the average human to comprehend, almost like he distorts reality and makes it seem like he is a giraffe but only because he’s going so fast our brains can’t believe it to be true.

Exactly haha.

It’s pretty funny how he looks so uncomfortable skating and then will make a play with the puck that you’d expect to see from Makar, or Girard lol

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I’m pretty sure it’s just too much for the average human to comprehend, almost like he distorts reality and makes it seem like he is a giraffe but only because he’s going so fast our brains can’t believe it to be true.
It probably has something to do with the frame rate of the TV cameras in the arenas being synced with his skating stride...

2YcArNu.gif

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Both Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman wore this number because they grew up idolizing 6-time Stanley Cup winner Bryan Trottier. And as you noted Toews wears #19 because he grew up a fan of Sakic. Four great team captains and Cup winners.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad