Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I've been thinking about his spot on the future squad recently. His foot speed will allow him to fit in pretty quickly, and his shot arsenal should provide for some decent offense. What I'm really hoping he does is develop his two-way game so he can be a legitimate shutdown player, if the need arises. I'm not saying he needs to become ROR, but if he can become a good deal more defensively responsible than MacKinnon, that would be a really nice one-two punch. If not, we might be in a bit of trouble because we don't have a second Landeskog to do the heavy lifting for Newhook.

I think he has the potential to be a fantastic defensive player. His motor is elite, so is his edge work in tight, and he’s a magnet on the puck. I think he’ll learn the defensive side of things as he goes. The offense comes naturally, so the defense will most likely be his focus this season.

Reactions: Psycho Mantis

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I've been thinking about his spot on the future squad recently. His foot speed will allow him to fit in pretty quickly, and his shot arsenal should provide for some decent offense. What I'm really hoping he does is develop his two-way game so he can be a legitimate shutdown player, if the need arises. I'm not saying he needs to become ROR, but if he can become a good deal more defensively responsible than MacKinnon, that would be a really nice one-two punch. If not, we might be in a bit of trouble because we don't have a second Landeskog to do the heavy lifting for Newhook.

I don't think we'd be in that much trouble even if he doesn't become great defensively. We'd simply need to draft or acquire a two-way forward, or just play him with Nichuskin. The more I look at Nichuskin's metrics the more I'm impressed by him; it doesn't matter who he plays with, everyone gets better statistically with him on the ice compared to without him.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
I could absolutely be wrong. Didn’t Newhook play the PK and score some short handed goals last season? I’m not saying that makes him a good defensive player, but it’s nice that he’s trusted to play on the PK. Yes, I know it’s only at the NCAA level. I would also love for him to be a great two way player, but honestly I just want an NHL player and hopefully one that can put up better numbers than Jost has at the NHL level.

I’m okay with Bowers being the more defensive forward if Newhook can be a top six guy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I could absolutely be wrong. Didn’t Newhook play the PK and score some short handed goals last season? I’m not saying that makes him a good defensive player, but it’s nice that he’s trusted to play on the PK. Yes, I know it’s only at the NCAA level. I would also love for him to be a great two way player, but honestly I just want an NHL player and hopefully one that can put up better numbers than Jost has at the NHL level.

I’m okay with Bowers being the more defensive forward if Newhook can be a top six guy.
Newhook's speed would be a tremendous weapon on the PK, reminiscent of Kapanen on Toronto's PK. Pretty sure Newhook would score several SHG per year on the PK. Bowers has some nice speed too so they could make a solid PK pairing.

Reactions: Psycho Mantis

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Newhook’s great defensively. His progression over his first season was significant. After Christmas he was coach York’s go to centre in the final minute of close games (there weren’t a lot lol). That says a lot about a freshman. And yes he PK’ed and did a great job since day 1.

I would say Newhook was a “very good” defensive player by season’s end relative to his league. Relative to freshman he was near elite.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
Newhook’s great defensively. His progression over his first season was significant. After Christmas he was coach York’s go to centre in the final minute of close games (there weren’t a lot lol). That says a lot about a freshman. And yes he PK’ed and did a great job since day 1.

I would say Newhook was a “very good” defensive player by season’s end relative to his league. Relative to freshman he was near elite.

I just went from six to midnight.

It’s hard not to get excited about this teams future and some of their prospects.

Thank you for your response.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just went from six to midnight.

It’s hard not to get excited about this teams future and some of their prospects.

Thank you for your response.
That doesn’t guarantee perfect transition. Like I said, relative to freshman it’s hard not to be impressed. Even to NCAA in general. But let’s not forget JT Compher was considered one of the best defensive forwards in the nation for a few consecutive years and he sucks defensively in the NHL.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
That doesn’t guarantee perfect transition. Like I said, relative to freshman it’s hard not to be impressed. Even to NCAA in general. But let’s not forget JT Compher was considered one of the best defensive forwards in the nation for a few consecutive years and he sucks defensively in the NHL.

That’s completely fair. I know it doesn’t mean that it will transition to higher levels like the NHL.

That doesn’t mean I’m not going to create high expectations in my head and hope for the best. Hahaha!

I was really happy about the Newhook pick and he seems like a nice kid.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think he has the potential to be a fantastic defensive player. His motor is elite, so is his edge work in tight, and he’s a magnet on the puck. I think he’ll learn the defensive side of things as he goes. The offense comes naturally, so the defense will most likely be his focus this season.

I definitely think the potential is there, too. I know in the NCAA he's been slowly given more and more defensive responsibility, so I think one more year in college would do him a lot of good, development-wise. It's not always a 1:1 translation of skills once a prospect gets into the NHL, though, so until he proves it at the highest level I'll always worry that his defensive acumen might not translate.

I don't think we'd be in that much trouble even if he doesn't become great defensively. We'd simply need to draft or acquire a two-way forward, or just play him with Nichuskin. The more I look at Nichuskin's metrics the more I'm impressed by him; it doesn't matter who he plays with, everyone gets better statistically with him on the ice compared to without him.

I don't think two-way players are all that easy to acquire, to be honest, so if Newhook doesn't pan out I don't think it would be a quick or easy fix. I was also thinking he could look good next to Nichushkin, if Nuke decides to stay with the Avs for a while. At the same time, though, I'd prefer someone with a little more offensive output to pair with Newhook in his first couple of seasons so he isn't saddled with all of the offensive responsibility on his line. I think he'd be able to manage it, personally, but I also prefer prospects be slowly transitioned into the NHL instead of being thrown to the wolves.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I definitely think the potential is there, too. I know in the NCAA he's been slowly given more and more defensive responsibility, so I think one more year in college would do him a lot of good, development-wise. It's not always a 1:1 translation of skills once a prospect gets into the NHL, though, so until he proves it at the highest level I'll always worry that his defensive acumen might not translate.

I don't think two-way players are all that easy to acquire, to be honest, so if Newhook doesn't pan out I don't think it would be a quick or easy fix. I was also thinking he could look good next to Nichushkin, if Nuke decides to stay with the Avs for a while. At the same time, though, I'd prefer someone with a little more offensive output to pair with Newhook in his first couple of seasons so he isn't saddled with all of the offensive responsibility on his line. I think he'd be able to manage it, personally, but I also prefer prospects be slowly transitioned into the NHL instead of being thrown to the wolves.
I was thinking someone like Tatar, Killorn, Palat, etc... Tatar will be an UFA in 2021 and Palat in 2022 and I think we'd be a top choice for both of them should they test free agency. Or if we wanted to trade for them before then neither should cost a prohibitive amount.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I was thinking someone like Tatar, Killorn, Palat, etc... Tatar will be an UFA in 2021 and Palat in 2022 and I think we'd be a top choice for both of them should they test free agency. Or if we wanted to trade for them before then neither should cost a prohibitive amount.
Those could be good targets, but their ages scare me off. All of them will be 30+ in UFA, and with all of the hard work Sakic & team have put in to manage the team's cap structure, I'd hate to see it blown up by signing a player that's past their prime. Given the Avs' position as a contender, though, who knows? Maybe it would work out.

I guess what I meant was that two-way players in their prime and/or before their prime are super hard to acquire. O'Reilly is the only elite two-way player I can think of that was traded before his prime, and in both trades the team that traded him got a poor return in relation to his value to a team. The Blues basically got lucky that two management teams had no idea what they were doing when they traded him away.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s still absolutely nuts that this team could still add Bowen Byram and Alex Newhook. Imagine if both hit their ceilings? Oh my.

I’ve been saying this for a bit, but we’re going to need those guys to develop nicely to help the Avs beat the Oilers as their prospects start to develop.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Those could be good targets, but their ages scare me off. All of them will be 30+ in UFA, and with all of the hard work Sakic & team have put in to manage the team's cap structure, I'd hate to see it blown up by signing a player that's past their prime. Given the Avs' position as a contender, though, who knows? Maybe it would work out.

I guess what I meant was that two-way players in their prime and/or before their prime are super hard to acquire. O'Reilly is the only elite two-way player I can think of that was traded before his prime, and in both trades the team that traded him got a poor return in relation to his value to a team. The Blues basically got lucky that two management teams had no idea what they were doing when they traded him away.

I still liked him better than Dutch, despite both being their own kind of crazy.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I still liked him better than Dutch, despite both being their own kind of crazy.
Oh, absolutely. Duchene is a nutcase; ROR just likes money.

A brief anecdote: a group of my buddies and I went to an Avs game back in I want to say 2013, and after the game they all went out for drinks. I had to head home because I had work the following morning. As it turns out, they ran into O'Reilly downtown at some point during the night. They all fangirled over him and got some pictures with him, and he was loving every minute of it because he had also been drinking after their win. As he walked off, one of my buddies shouted, "f*** the Blackhawks!" O'Reilly turned around and said the same thing in return. He seems like he'd be a really fun guy to have as a friend.

Also, this girl I had a brief fling with in college apparently dated him for a few weeks around that time. That is my one and only "connection" to NHLers.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh, absolutely. Duchene is a nutcase; ROR just likes money.

A brief anecdote: a group of my buddies and I went to an Avs game back in I want to say 2013, and after the game they all went out for drinks. I had to head home because I had work the following morning. As it turns out, they ran into O'Reilly downtown at some point during the night. They all fangirled over him and got some pictures with him, and he was loving every minute of it because he had also been drinking after their win. As he walked off, one of my buddies shouted, "f*** the Blackhawks!" O'Reilly turned around and said the same thing in return. He seems like he'd be a really fun guy to have as a friend.

Also, this girl I had a brief fling with in college apparently dated him for a few weeks around that time. That is my one and only "connection" to NHLers.

My ex-wife went to HS with Kane, and Colin Wilson. I don't think she ever did anything, but for someone who didn't, she sure had a lot of disdain for those two. So I may have more of a connection than I'd want. :cool:

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My ex-wife went to HS with Kane, and Colin Wilson. I don't think she ever did anything, but for someone who didn't, she sure had a lot of disdain for those two. So I may have more of a connection than I'd want. :cool:
She didn't like Colin Wilson? :huh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Colin Wilson looked like a frat kid with bleached blonde hair when he was drafted. He turns 31 in a few months. Maybe he was a different person back then. :dunno:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Colin Wilson looked like a frat kid with bleached blonde hair when he was drafted. He turns 31 in a few months. Maybe he was a different person back then. :dunno:

Oh I bet lol

Only NHL player I ever got to take a picture with is Brayden Colburn. They had him come up to the restaurant for STMs one night. He clearly drew the short straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad