Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Time to cancel culture up! :sarcasm:

I've most certainly used the term, meant in endearment, but it does have a real negative side to it. In today's society, I'm surprised that actually made it out in public.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
To me it just sounds like an innocuous abbreviation, like saying "Brit" / "Swede" / "Finn" about British, Swedish, or Finnish people.

Alternatively something like "Scandie" for a Scandinavian. Pretty absurd how people can lose their marbles over such a trivial thing, but I suppose it speaks to the general fragility of people's emotional well-being these days.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
To me it just sounds like an innocuous abbreviation, like saying "Brit" / "Swede" / "Finn" about British, Swedish, or Finnish people.

Alternatively something like "Scandie" for a Scandinavian. Pretty absurd how people can lose their marbles over such a trivial thing, but I suppose it speaks to the general fragility of people's emotional well-being these days.

It only sounds that way to you because you aren't familiar with the term. Yeah, there is that innocent abbreviation side to it and a lot of people use it with that intention and mean well by it -- but it also has a derogatory history which is entirely unlike "Swede."

Reactions: MaKarter

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

@Cousin Eddie can probably comment on this better, but here's my take.

It has been used as a slur by Canadians and Americans against Newfoundlanders in the recent past. It has probably cooled off more in recent years, but in the 50-80s it was pretty solidly a slur that the context wasn't any different than many other slurs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That would be typical of Newfies to cause a fuss over such a term :laugh:

I think I even remember something in the news as recently as last year about a select few getting upset over that term being used elsewhere but maybe not.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It only sounds that way to you because you aren't familiar with the term. Yeah, there is that innocent abbreviation side to it and a lot of people use it with that intention and mean well by it -- but it also has a derogatory history which is entirely unlike "Swede."

@Cousin Eddie can probably comment on this better, but here's my take.

It has been used as a slur by Canadians and Americans against Newfoundlanders in the recent past. It has probably cooled off more in recent years, but in the 50-80s it was pretty solidly a slur that the context wasn't any different than many other slurs.
Thanks for explaining some of the history of the term, much appreciated.

I admit that I'm not overly familiar with that term in particular, but in general I think it speaks volumes of people's emotional wounds when they get offended by mere words, especially ones that are concerned with broad things like a geographical region. By contrast, healthy individuals with strong characters see beyond the shallow vanity of verbal slurs or insults, and choosing to turn the other cheek when someone casts an insult is a much more effective response since it very effectively serves to highlight the ignorance of the person rather than fuelling the problem.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Thanks for explaining some of the history of the term, much appreciated.

I admit that I'm not overly familiar with that term in particular, but in general I think it speaks volumes of people's emotional wounds when they get offended by mere words, especially ones that are concerned with broad things like a geographical region. By contrast, healthy individuals with strong characters see beyond the shallow vanity of verbal slurs or insults, and choosing to turn the other cheek when someone casts an insult is a much more effective response since it very effectively serves to highlight the ignorance of the person rather than fuelling the problem.

Words certainly do matter and it doesn’t mean someone doesn’t have strong character if they have an issue with something somebody says.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tbh I would say 90% of Newfies have no issues with being called Newfies but that other 10% like to get vocal about it any chance they get.
And that 10% are the most obnoxious, outspoken group of people in existence which makes it seem like the entire population are like it.

I’m a very adaptive person. I know it was once derogatory but I know the world can change and in the generation I grew up in “Newfie” is a shortened version of “Newfoundlander” much like @Richard88 suggested comparisons such as “Swede”.

I have no issue being called a Newfie unless it’s in a derogatory way which in that case I take issue with the person talking down about Newfoundland as opposed to focusing on the word itself. Any word can be used as a negative if that’s the speakers intention.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Words certainly do matter and it doesn’t mean someone doesn’t have strong character if they have an issue with something somebody says.
I didn't say that words don't matter or that a person with strong character can't have an issue with something someone says (though I can see why that would seem to be the case).

It comes down to the ability to choose. A person with 'strong character' may have an issue with words, but they can choose to turn the other cheek and not react out of emotions (Note that when I use the term "strong character" I mean that as a clinical description of someone who has healed wounds and/or no emotional triggers due to past trauma in the first place, rather than as an elevation of one person over another).

Conversely, people with active emotional wounds don't have the choice to turn the other cheek because their behaviour is automatically controlled by emotional reactions to external triggers (like words), and this is a big reason why the younger generations are so easily offended by virtually anything. Please note that this is not a slight on anyone else because I include myself in that assessment to a certain extent.

I could go further into the subject of psychology and triggers but I think this is best cut short here lest the thread get derailed further. That said, if anyone would like to continue this discussion with me please feel free to PM me.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So BU, BC, and UMass will be playing a large number of games against each other this year.
There are 23 college hockey teams in New England and West NY, it shouldn't be a problem.

Where that would be a disaster is the Alaska schools, Alabama Huntsville who are already struggling to survive. The big thing will be keeping the charters sanitary and anyone who's seens a Greyhound toilet will have serious doubts about how much safer bus travel would be.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
When I was a kid, in francophone Quebec, the term "Newfie" was commonly used like a synonym of "idiot". I actually only learned/realized many years later that it also was related to Newfoundlanders... Kind of like realizing one day that Kleenex is a brand and not a synonym for tissue... Countless jokes exist where the Newfie is the idiot. Like "How many Newfies are needed to change a light bub ? 3, one to hold it and two to rotate the stool". And I mean, countless!

So in my mind/culture/region, that term is highly derogatory and isn't like Swede, Fins, etc... I'm also surprised that it's in a headline like that.

And I think that tying one's emotional baggage to one's degree of activism regarding a cause is going down a dangerous path... It is probably true that someone who is emotionally damaged is unable to control his emotions. But you have to be very careful not to turn this around to imply that someone who is emotional is damaged... I'm NOT saying that's what you did, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying its a dangerous road...

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When I was a kid, in francophone Quebec, the term "Newfie" was commonly used like a synonym of "idiot".

I nearly posted the exact same thing yesterday...:laugh:

No kid knew what a Newfie was...personally I thought it was the polite word to describe someone who's a dum-dum. To be fair it's not used anymore though...I've not heard that word in a long time.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
When I was a kid, in francophone Quebec, the term "Newfie" was commonly used like a synonym of "idiot". I actually only learned/realized many years later that it also was related to Newfoundlanders... Kind of like realizing one day that Kleenex is a brand and not a synonym for tissue... Countless jokes exist where the Newfie is the idiot. Like "How many Newfies are needed to change a light bub ? 3, one to hold it and two to rotate the stool". And I mean, countless!

So in my mind/culture/region, that term is highly derogatory and isn't like Swede, Fins, etc... I'm also surprised that it's in a headline like that.

And I think that tying one's emotional baggage to one's degree of activism regarding a cause is going down a dangerous path... It is probably true that someone who is emotionally damaged is unable to control his emotions. But you have to be very careful not to turn this around to imply that someone who is emotional is damaged... I'm NOT saying that's what you did, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying its a dangerous road...
Newfie jokes peak faded quickly about 35-40 yrs ago.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I'm 43 so I would say more like 20 years ago, but I agree with you that we don't hear them anymore.
I pitty the poor bastards that were hanging on to Newfie jokes in 2000. I’m 49 and the last I heard of them were in my early teens, replaced after that by blonde jokes.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Great news. Being offered a 2 year deal means someone is high on him. This is his best route for development. Boy was he ever raw when he was drafted but who knows what we may have found.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Great news. Being offered a 2 year deal means someone is high on him. This is his best route for development. Boy was he ever raw when he was drafted but who knows what we may have found.

Shmakov is from Ufa and was playing in Salavat's hockey school until he was 16, so probably that mattered here too. He is expected to play in Salavat's VHL affiliate next season, although I guess the primary goal for now is just to stay healthy.

Reactions: MarkT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad