Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Athletic (Wheeler) has put out their top 50 drafted prospects.

4. Newhook
5. Byram
44. Timmins

As you all know I’ve been pumping up Alex Newhook on here since he’s been in bantam and still think it’s batshit crazy to have him over Bo.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

4. Newhook
5. Byram

As you all know I’ve been pumping up Alex Newhook on here since he’s been in bantam and still think it’s batshit crazy to have him over Bo.

Who are the top 3? So many people seem to be down on Byram.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wheeler does state that he believes Byram is the best D prospect on the planet. Above those draft eligible this year.

He also has Romanov at 48 which seems way too low.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I guess Cozens and Byram are about on par as far as prospects go but it seems like a weak group of prospects to me if Dylan Cozens is ranked as the best.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

4. Newhook
5. Byram
44. Timmins

Bo’s slow start to the season definitely hurt him. Add the fact that Newhook produced in college compared to junior and it’s probably what put him out front.

Newhook is also much more dynamic than Byram. He pops off the screen a lot more when you watch him. Byram does a lot of good things, but from just watching clips of him you might not even know he’s a top-5 pick.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm going to ignore the fact that he put Cozens and Caufield above Byram and be happy we have two prospects in the top 5 and are simultaneously competing for a cup.

Sounds like he dinged Byram for not elevating his game, though he admits in the article Byram already torched the WHL in his draft year and didn't have much elevating available to him so :dunno:

I guess a defenseman playing at a 2 points per game pace down the stretch wasn't good enough.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

4. Newhook
5. Byram
44. Timmins

Only 7 RHD's ahead of Timmins... not bad after missing a year. He was also ranked in the 90's in a similar ranking by The Hockey Writers in January, so to jump to 44 in this list is nice to see.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Hey if Byram hits what we expect him to be as the current “best defense prospect on the planet” and Newhook passes him I think we’re all pretty happy.

Im not married to the fact that Byram is better. Newhook has as high a ceiling as any drafted forward prospect right now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Caufield's ceiling is a perennial 40+ goal scorer from the wing, and that's not unrealistic. It's really hard to put that below Newhook, whose ceiling is probably low-end 1C if we're being optimistic. For that matter, Byram's ceiling as a low end 1D is pretty hard to put above that. I'm just gratified to have not one but two prospects ranked razor close behind an insane prospect like Caufield.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Short version of that Wheeler article:

But on the sum of his strength on the puck, his world class skating, his deceptive release point, his fabulous hands, and his nonstop hunting of loose pucks, I think he’s got the makings of an NHL star. He was absolutely unstoppable in college hockey before the season was cancelled. So consider this me digging in on Alex Newhook.

I believe he’s the best D prospect on the planet, though Jamie Drysdale will be right in that same mix once he’s selected. Byram has all of the tools he needs to potentially someday play on a first pairing, or run a top power play unit.

In watching Timmins this season, I also felt like he was just scratching the surface, like he could stand to be even more assertive. Given that I already think he’s NHL ready, it’s exciting to ponder what that next gear might look like.

Sounds good to me.

Goalies will be on a separate list tomorrow so Annunen should be on there.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Caufield's ceiling is a perennial 40+ goal scorer from the wing, and that's not unrealistic. It's really hard to put that below Newhook, whose ceiling is probably low-end 1C if we're being optimistic. For that matter, Byram's ceiling as a low end 1D is pretty hard to put above that. I'm just gratified to have not one but two prospects ranked razor close behind an insane prospect like Caufield.

A perennial 40+ goal scorer? How many of those are there in the NHL? That would put him in Alex Ovechkin territory.

I’m not that high on Caufield. Even at his ceiling.

Also, with Caufield you’re not going to get anything other than goals. At least with Byram he brings more to the table and I think Newhook can be a better driver of play.

That being said, Caufield is a very good prospect who should put up good goal totals at the next level.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A perennial 40+ goal scorer? How many of those are there in the NHL? That would put him in Alex Ovechkin territory.

I’m not that high on Caufield. Even at his ceiling.

Also, with Caufield you’re not going to get anything other than goals. At least with Byram he brings more to the table and I think Newhook can be a better driver of play.

That being said, Caufield is a very good prospect who should put up good goal totals at the next level.
Pastrnak, Matthews, Draisaitl, Ovechkin... Yeah, that list is pretty short. Goals are hard to come by, which is why someone who has the potential to score them in bunches like that is a lot rarer than a dynamic center or D, even a very good one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm a big believer in Caufield's talent and if he was 5'10" I wouldn't hesitate a bit to call him the best prospect in hockey. 5'7" and average skating is just really risky... he could easily bust out on those two things alone. If he makes it though, I see the 40+g a year in his game and his playmaking is underrated. I wouldn't be as bold as to put him as a top 5 drafted prospect... but I get it. My own list would have some questionable placements (IE Merkley top 5), so I don't fault Caufield or Newhook top 5... both are really bold and I get it even if I don't fully agree.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Pastrnak, Matthews, Draisaitl, Ovechkin... Yeah, that list is pretty short. Goals are hard to come by, which is why someone who has the potential to score them in bunches like that is a lot rarer than a dynamic center or D, even a very good one.

None of those guys listed are under 6’0. I just don’t see Patrick Kane, or even Jack Hughes level skill in Caufiled for how undersized he is. He better pile up a ton of goals on the power play if he’s going to be perennial 40+ goal scorer. I like him as a prospect and could see him maybe getting 40 in a season, but if he does it consistently I’ll be eating major crow because I don’t see it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
None of those guys listed are under 6’0. I just don’t see Patrick Kane, or even Jack Hughes level skill in Caufiled for how undersized he is. He better pile up a ton of goals on the power play if he’s going to be perennial 40+ goal scorer. I like him as a prospect and could see him maybe getting 40 in a season, but if he does it consistently I’ll be eating major crow because I don’t see it.
It's not his raw skill that sets him apart. He is masterful at slipping into soft spots in coverage, and he's one of those guys who the puck just always seems to find in the right place at the right time. He has the hockey sense to just know where to be, and the hands and finishing skill to do the right thing when the puck inevitably ends up on his stick. He won't be pulling fancy dekes and dangles all over the place, but he's going to put away a lot of pucks. And like Hench said, his playmaking is also really good.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Kuch is listed at 5'11" 180 lbs... and in reality those are pretty generous to him. He has popped in 40, 39, 41, and 33 goals in the past 4 seasons. The 40 season was done in 74 games and his 33 in 68 paces to 40 over 82 in a season where he started cold.

It's not his raw skill that sets him apart. He is masterful at slipping into soft spots in coverage, and he's one of those guys who the puck just always seems to find in the right place at the right time. He has the hockey sense to just know where to be, and the hands and finishing skill to do the right thing when the puck inevitably ends up on his stick. He won't be pulling fancy dekes and dangles all over the place, but he's going to put away a lot of pucks. And like Hench said, his playmaking is also really good.

It is so underrated because his shot is so good people focus on that... and for good reason, frequently it is his best option. As he moves up levels the assists will pile up because there will be better options for the puck... and there will be a lot of greasy goals scored of his rebounds.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad