Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I feel sad for the people who want to continue tanking . This team needs experience in the playoffs. Guys like Petey snd Hughes , need to be in it. We have a very good shot at winning a round .

Also Vegas winning the division could be a blessing. Maybe a wild card team can upset them.

Vegas would need to play Winnipeg for them to probably lose a round, with an outside chance Nashville can beat them too. If Vegas plays CGY/MIN/ARI they will sleepwalk through them.

It would be awful for the Canucks to win the division and have to play a, say, Winnipeg first round.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What do people realistically think this team is gonna do in the playoffs

Completely depends on the match ups.

I can see if things line up and there is the right upset, us going really deep.

The flip side of this is with the wrong match up I can see us losing quickly.

I am also having some unfortunate Willie D scares and worried no matter who we play we just get out coached even against a team we should beat.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
nobody in the Pacific scares me. Even Vegas. Fleury has been playing average or below average this season.
Even if we get swept in the 1st round it will be veryy good for our core.

Think about this for a minute.

Hughes and Boeser always talk about the mini taste they got the end of the season to see what the NHL is like. It allowed them to go into the summer and know what the level of play is and what it will take to be successful. Boeser got 9 games in and Hughes got 5 games in

Those were meaningless, Canucks were out of it, no intensity games and look at how much the players say it helped them.

What do you think experiencing playoff hockey will do for our young core??

They need to take this step and experience that environment and culture.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Completely depends on the match ups.

I can see if things line up and there is the right upset, us going really deep.

The flip side of this is with the wrong match up I can see us losing quickly.

I am also having some unfortunate Willie D scares and worried no matter who we play we just get out coached even against a team we should beat.
That series was so frustrating. We lost to a team that had Jonahs Hiller in net with a better roster. Because Willie D refused to play the twins more than their allotted time on the 1-2-3-4 rotation. Everyone thought he was smart doing this as load management so the twins don't overplay during reg season. Nope, it was just Willie D being Willie D

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That series was so frustrating. We lost to a team that had Jonahs Hiller in net with a better roster. Because Willie D refused to play the twins more than their allotted time on the 1-2-3-4 rotation. Everyone thought he was smart doing this as load management so the twins don't overplay during reg season. Nope, it was just Willie D being Willie D

The defense was maddening too. the Bieksa Sbisa pairing... ugh and never trying to shelter them. I still have nightmares of it.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
nobody in the Pacific scares me. Even Vegas. Fleury has been playing average or below average this season.
Even if we get swept in the 1st round it will be veryy good for our core.

Think about this for a minute.

Hughes and Boeser always talk about the mini taste they got the end of the season to see what the NHL is like. It allowed them to go into the summer and know what the level of play is and what it will take to be successful. Boeser got 9 games in and Hughes got 5 games in

Those were meaningless, Canucks were out of it, no intensity games and look at how much the players say it helped them.

What do you think experiencing playoff hockey will do for our young core??

They need to take this step and experience that environment and culture.
Getting swept in the 1st round would be 'very good' for our core?

I don't know about that. Is getting thoroughly beaten in the first sniff in some of these guys' first NHL playoffs really a good thing?

Reactions: Intangibos

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

I don't know about that. Is getting thoroughly beaten in the first sniff in some of these guys' first NHL playoffs really a good thing?

It would be a good experience to show them what it would take to even win 1 game in a playoff atmosphere.

" I either win or I learn, I never lose"

- Michael Jordan

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It would be a good experience to show them what it would take to even win 1 game in a playoff atmosphere.

" I either win or I learn, I never lose"

- Michael Jordan
I think they probably know what it's like to be in a playoff atmosphere. Every one of them has experienced that before in other leagues.

I think you're overrating what 4 losing playoff games would do for them. I feel like it's becoming a bit of a cliche.

Reactions: Intangibos

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I feel sad for the people who want to continue tanking . This team needs experience in the playoffs. Guys like Petey snd Hughes , need to be in it. We have a very good shot at winning a round .

Also Vegas winning the division could be a blessing. Maybe a wild card team can upset them.

Rather get the experience now, why continue to tank when this team is in position to compete for a playoff spot? This team is primed to go on a run..take full advantage of it.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think they probably know what it's like to be in a playoff atmosphere. Every one of them has experienced that before in other leagues.

I think you're overrating what 4 losing playoff games would do for them. I feel like it's becoming a bit of a cliche.

What did i just read?

They know what NHL playoff level, atmpsphere and intensity is like because theyve experienced it in other leagues?

Are you suggesting that the SEL playoffs where there is very little hitting or physical play is the same as NHL playoffs?

Or maybe because Quinn Hughes , Gaudette, Boeser have played in NCAA tournament which is why they know what NHL playoffs are like.

Nothing is like the NHL playoffs. The hitting, the physical play, the intensity for every detail, the grind of getting beaten up every other night.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
What did i just read?

They know what NHL playoff level, atmpsphere and intensity is like because theyve experienced it in other leagues?

Are you suggesting that the SEL playoffs where there is very little hitting or physical play is the same as NHL playoffs?

Or maybe because Quinn Hughes , Gaudette, Boeser have played in NCAA tournament which is why they know what NHL playoffs are like.

Nothing is like the NHL playoffs. The hitting, the physical play, the intensity for every detail, the grind of getting beaten up every other night.
No, I just think you're overrating the positive effect it would have on them.

It's nice for them to see them a bit but whether they do it now or next season doesn't really change much, imo.

Losing 4 straight games would be a bit of a learning experience, but the effect that you're implying? No.

If it were up to me, I'd rather just not make the playoffs and have a shot at a lottery pick than just get swept in the first round.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
No, I just think you're overrating the positive effect it would have on them.

It's nice for them to see them a bit but whether they do it now or next season doesn't really change much, imo.

Losing 4 straight games would be a bit of a learning experience, but the effect that you're implying? No.

If it were up to me, I'd rather just not make the playoffs and have a shot at a lottery pick than just get swept in the first round.

So if its up to you, you'd rather see our core struggle and play under .500 hockey the rest of the way, miss the playoffs and get a draft pick in the mid teens?

How does that help our core more in terms of development than them playing great down the stretch and making and experiencing the playoffs?

Our core is formed, we need them to compete and succeed now , not keep adding magic bean draft picks in hopes to add to the core in expense of them growing in a losing culture.

I think you are having a hard time transitioning from tanking mode to taking another step towards being cup contenders.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So if its up to you, you'd rather see our core struggle and play under .500 hockey the rest of the way, miss the playoffs and get a draft pick in the mid teens?

How does that help our core more in terms of development than them playing great down the stretch and making and experiencing the playoffs?

Our core is formed, we need them to compete and succeed now , not keep adding magic bean draft picks in hopes to add to the core in expense of them growing in a losing culture.

I think you are having a hard time transitioning from tanking mode to taking another step towards being cup contenders.

Whoever you were replying too, I don’t get why tanking now will make this team better.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The notion of being embarrassed in the playoffs being a positive and important experience is reaching cliche levels of needing a guy like Lucic on your roster or a guy with experience like Beagle in your bottom 6

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Yes it would be great for the young core. Or would you prefer to shelter them and not let them try the postseason until they are a lock to go deep? There are no locks in the playoffs. Ever

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The notion of being embarrassed in the playoffs being a positive and important experience is reaching cliche levels of needing a guy like Lucic on your roster or a guy with experience like Beagle in your bottom 6
You think we will be embarrassed in round 1? I think most would disagree

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Getting swept in the first round is not 'competing and succeeding'.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Getting swept in the first round is not 'competing and succeeding'.
There is no team in the west that would sweep Van. We have proven we can beat any team. Except Carolina...that’s a brutal matchup. Even St. Louis isn’t that intimidating. I mean we would lose but we would steal a game or two

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
There is no team in the west that would sweep Van. We have proven we can beat any team. Except Carolina...that’s a brutal matchup. Even St. Louis isn’t that intimidating. I mean we would lose but we would steal a game or two
Vegas and probably St Louis would sweep Van.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You think we will be embarrassed in round 1? I think most would disagree

I think a 2nd round exit is overrated with the way people suggest it will improve our team. I was highlighting that even a quick exit seems to be a positive in the eyes of these "playoff experience" posters.

Reactions: clunk

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think a 2nd round exit is overrated with the way people suggest it will improve our team. I was highlighting that even a quick exit seems to be a positive in the eyes of these "playoff experience" posters.
I hear you but I think this is short sighted. There are numerous direct benefits to the playoffs and also some ancillary benefits that aren’t discussed.
The obvious benefit is to the young core. They will be able to battle against the best players in the league when there is heightened intensity and physicality. If they come up short? It’s a learning experience and will help guide their off-season training.

There is also a benefit for management. which players can elevate their game? Which players are important to keep and who can they walk away from? They need to see the new core battle tested.

there are also less talked about benefits. Extra revenue for the team (yes we hate Aquilini but hopefully some of the cash flow filters back into hockey ops). Local businesses will also benefit from extra hockey, specifically must watch playoff hockey. Lastly, playoffs are good for the Canucks brand. RFA’s and UFA’s will look upon the team more favourably if they can demonstrate the ability to be competitive and make the playoffs.

this is just a half assed short list of some indirect benefits as I need to get to the pub. But you get the idea

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad