2019-20 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
All oua east playoff spots are clinched except for 8th which is still open to all 3 teams in the west york is officially out and waterloo is 3 points behind western and lakehead with 4 to play

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
RMC's ascension under Richard Lim:

2014-15 (before Lim took over): 0-23-3 ... 63 GF, 169 GA

2015-16: 4-21-3 ... 62-155
2016-17: 6-21-1 ... 49-105
2017-18: 7-16-5 ... 66-110
2018-19: 7-19-2 ... 62-114
2019-20: 9-17-1 ... 80-119 ... could add a team-record 10th Win versus Queen's on Thursday.

The Paladins only graduate 3 regulars this year, and only ONE of those 3 is in their top 16 in scoring. RMC will get better.

RMC will never be a Queen's Cup contender, but this is a remarkable turnaround for a team that requires its players to join the military.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Can I interest anyone in a head-to-head battle for the final playoff spot in the OUA West?

Waterloo visits Lakehead for a pair of games this weekend, sitting 4 pts back of Lakehead. If Waterloo wins twice in regulation/overtime, they'll claim a playoff spot.
Western is marked on the oua site as clinched, but I don't believe that's right - I think two Waterloo wins coupled with two Western losses will see the Warriors in 7th, Wolves in 8th, and the Mustangs will miss out.

Fun weekend ahead!

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Can I interest anyone in a head-to-head battle for the final playoff spot in the OUA West?

Waterloo visits Lakehead for a pair of games this weekend, sitting 4 pts back of Lakehead. If Waterloo wins twice in regulation/overtime, they'll claim a playoff spot.
Western is marked on the oua site as clinched, but I don't believe that's right - I think two Waterloo wins coupled with two Western losses will see the Warriors in 7th, Wolves in 8th, and the Mustangs will miss out.

Fun weekend ahead!

First tiebreaker is always head-to-head records.

Western won their season series with both Waterloo and Lakehead.

Waterloo is 2-0 versus Lakehead so far.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
First tiebreaker this year is ROW, as per OUA regulations:
Ontario University Athletics (OUA) (section 3.4, page 5).

As per OUA tiebreaking procedures, second tiebreaker would be total league wins. Third is H2H: Tie-Breaking Procedure - Ontario University Athletics (OUA)

I stand corrected, although I think the #1 in the OUA Hockey Regulations is meant to REPLACE the #1 in the OUA Regulations, not add on to it.

So, instead of "League Wins", it's ROW.

So, I interpret it as:
1) ROW
2) Head to Head

In that case, Western has clinched a playoff birth, because they have 11 ROW (along with Lakehead), whereas Waterloo has 9. If Waterloo sweeps Lakehead, there's a three-way tie, and then you go to Head-to-Head (which, as noted above, Western has clinched).

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I stand corrected, although I think the #1 in the OUA Hockey Regulations is meant to REPLACE the #1 in the OUA Regulations, not add on to it.

So, instead of "League Wins", it's ROW.

So, I interpret it as:
1) ROW
2) Head to Head

In that case, Western has clinched a playoff birth, because they have 11 ROW (along with Lakehead), whereas Waterloo has 9. If Waterloo sweeps Lakehead, there's a three-way tie, and then you go to Head-to-Head (which, as noted above, Western has clinched).

I'm awaiting clarification from the league, but I would be surprised if total league wins was removed entirely from the tiebreaking procedure - even the NHL uses total wins before H2H in their tiebreaking procedures. Will be interesting to monitor this situation heading into the final weekend.
Of course, the point will be rendered moot if Western manages even one point this weekend.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
All lakehead has to do is at least get to OT once
Correct: Waterloo needs two regulation wins to get in over Lakehead. But depending on Western's results (and the tiebreaking clarification), Waterloo could get in with two regulation or OT wins (over Western).

Will be very interesting if one of the WAT/LAK games are tied late - Waterloo might be in the position to pull their goalie in a tied game. :popcorn:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I'm awaiting clarification from the league, but I would be surprised if total league wins was removed entirely from the tiebreaking procedure - even the NHL uses total wins before H2H in their tiebreaking procedures. Will be interesting to monitor this situation heading into the final weekend.
Of course, the point will be rendered moot if Western manages even one point this weekend.
Update: league has confirmed that ROW *replaced* total wins in their tiebreaking procedures, which is contrary to every other league that uses ROW as a tiebreaker. Bit of a head-scratcher, honestly.

In any event, Western has, in fact, clinched a playoff spot.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Update: league has confirmed that ROW *replaced* total wins in their tiebreaking procedures, which is contrary to every other league that uses ROW as a tiebreaker. Bit of a head-scratcher, honestly.

In any event, Western has, in fact, clinched a playoff spot.

Not that big of a head-scratcher for a league that had RMC play road 4 games against Nipissing in North Bay (versus 1 at home) plus 2 games games against Laurentian in Sudbury (versus 1 at home) ... but precisely 1 road game against cross-town rival Queen's.

Yep ... 6 Road Games against the furthest teams in their division, and 1 Road Game against the closest team in their division.

The OUA is a poorly, poorly run organization.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Not that big of a head-scratcher for a league that had RMC play road 4 games against Nipissing in North Bay (versus 1 at home) plus 2 games games against Laurentian in Sudbury (versus 1 at home) ... but precisely 1 road game against cross-town rival Queen's.

Yep ... 6 Road Games against the furthest teams in their division, and 1 Road Game against the closest team in their division.

Worst case Ontario?

Reactions: MiamiHockey

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

Waterloo beat Lakehead in OT tonight, but UW needed a regulation win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

However, Western lost, so we're one Waterloo win and one Western loss away from having this strange new tiebreaking system decide a playoff spot. Not ideal for the league.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Waterloo beat Lakehead in OT tonight, but UW needed a regulation win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

However, Western lost, so we're one Waterloo win and one Western loss away from having this strange new tiebreaking system decide a playoff spot. Not ideal for the league.

Waterloo is out.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Yes, I know Waterloo is out, and that Western won the season series (who do you think posted that tweet on Waterloo's official Twitter account? :sarcasm:).

Buta,d earlier in the thread, the league changed the tiebreaking procedures this season, wherein reg/ot wins is the first tiebreaker, and H2H is second - even though every other league on the planet uses total wins as a second tiebreaker after ROW.

If Waterloo wins tomorrow and Western loses, it won't change anything - except it could be a bad look for the league, wherein a team with the same point total, same ROW, and more total wins will miss the playoffs.

If that all sounds like sour grapes, it is!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad