2019-20 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I caught the third period of the annual Colonel by Classic hockey game between Carleton v Ottawa. The Gee Gees had a 2-0 but the Ravens scored four in the third period to win 4-2. What was interesting about this game was that it took place at TD Place (home of the Ottawa 67s). Attendance was 2600 which is huge for most OUA teams. The best part was how rowdy the fans were. At the end of the game one Carleton fan was hanging over the glass flipping the Gee Gees the bird.

It's the Colonel By Classic (as in Lieutenant-Colonel John By). The scenic road along the South-East side of the Rideau Canal is called 'Colonel By Drive' and connects the campuses via a quick 12min drive.

The TD Place is a great rink, and that part of Bank Street has a lot of places to eat and the arena has loads of parking. It would be a great venue for UCup.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Posted this in the Lakehead thread, but Toronto has to be the surprise of the OUA west so far.
Would be nice to see this program get back to the Cup.

The decline of Laurier, Western, and York is also surprising. There was a period not too long ago where those three programs consistently went to the University Cup. Given that Laurier and Western are known as athlete-friendly universities, their current level of performance is a real indictment of the coaching staffs.

Reactions: Lakeheadfan95

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
The decline of Laurier, Western, and York is also surprising. There was a period not too long ago where those three programs consistently went to the University Cup. Given that Laurier and Western are known as athlete-friendly universities, their current level of performance is a real indictment of the coaching staffs.

Mcgills start is also very surprising i know they lost theur head coach R.I.P but they didn't lose alot of core talent

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Isn't Clark Singer still head coach at Western? He would be the last coach out of the OUA west to have University Cup glory, winning in 2001 and falling to UNB and McGill in UCup finals in 2009 and 2012.
Their recruiting hasn't been at the same level, that's for sure.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Mcgills start is also very surprising i know they lost theur head coach R.I.P but they didn't lose alot of core talent

McGill's start tells you everything you need to know about the impact of Kelly Nobes as a Coach.

In his 9 seasons as McGill's Head Coach, they never lost more than 7 Games in Regulation in a single season. This season, they have 5 Regulation losses in less than half a season.

Nobes has the single-season win record at McGill, Laurier, and RMC. In his 13 OUA seasons since leaving RMC, he took his team to the University Cup 9 times.

Laurier hasn't sniffed the U-Cup since he left, and are clearly not trending in that direction now. I suspect we'll see McGill head into the doldrums now that Nobes is no longer their Head Coach. He was that good.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
McGill's start tells you everything you need to know about the impact of Kelly Nobes as a Coach.

In his 9 seasons as McGill's Head Coach, they never lost more than 7 Games in Regulation in a single season. This season, they have 5 Regulation losses in less than half a season.

Nobes has the single-season win record at McGill, Laurier, and RMC. In his 13 OUA seasons since leaving RMC, he took his team to the University Cup 9 times.

Laurier hasn't sniffed the U-Cup since he left, and are clearly not trending in that direction now. I suspect we'll see McGill head into the doldrums now that Nobes is no longer their Head Coach. He was that good.
I agree, the impact of losing Nobes has been a big factor with the Redmen start.
I now see Carleton as the biggest threat in the OUA. They battled UNB hard at last years nationals and have been very good this year. They have the potential to knock off a top 3 team. I will be very surprised if they fail to advance to this years UCup. IMO, unlike McGill and UQTR, they have the ability to play up to an AUS/Alberta/USask on a physical level.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I agree, the impact of losing Nobes has been a big factor with the Redmen start.
I now see Carleton as the biggest threat in the OUA. They battled UNB hard at last years nationals and have been very good this year. They have the potential to knock off a top 3 team. I will be very surprised if they fail to advance to this years UCup. IMO, unlike McGill and UQTR, they have the ability to play up to an AUS/Alberta/USask on a physical level.
maybe this is the year ottawa can get over the hump also surprised queens hasnt played as well but they lost 2 goalies and the one they did recruit bailed

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Carleton has the talent to contend with UNB, but has lacked the coaching. McGill always had the coaching but came short on talent and way short on physicality. Ottawa is more similar to McGill than it is to Carleton. UQTR could also sneak in there ... they are skilled ... but they could just as easily get knocked off in the first round.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Hopefully this ryerson/guelph game tonight showed how bad hockey Northwestern ontarios reffing is as they had one of our refs do their game tonight im at every lakehead home game and preach how bad it is 7 powerplays for ryerson 0 for guelph and quite a few questionable calls

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
There was a few questionable calls for sure. Guelph was very un-discipline tonight. And Ryerson played gritty game and stayed focus

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Carleton has the talent to contend with UNB, but has lacked the coaching. McGill always had the coaching but came short on talent and way short on physicality. Ottawa is more similar to McGill than it is to Carleton. UQTR could also sneak in there ... they are skilled ... but they could just as easily get knocked off in the first round.
The OUA West has been wide open for the past few years, especially since Western's program has not performed that great. Ryerson should have advanced to Nationals, but haven't been able to make it out of the OUA West division the last couple of years. IMO, not battle hardened enough!
Speaking from an AUS perspective, X is well coached, not always the most talented, but play systems well and are able to take it to another level come playoff time.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
The OUA West has been wide open for the past few years, especially since Western's program has not performed that great. Ryerson should have advanced to Nationals, but haven't been able to make it out of the OUA West division the last couple of years. IMO, not battle hardened enough!
Speaking from an AUS perspective, X is well coached, not always the most talented, but play systems well and are able to take it to another level come playoff time.

The Wild West will come down to who gets hot near end of January while entering playoffs.

Western has a lot of talent but something not clicking there.

Ryerson has had some elite talent but I question in game decision for staff. Not sold on Duco

Windsor is well coach and work hard. But Reinhart has to be one of 3 stars for them to win

Toronto is playing extremely well this year for coach Medel right now, the questions is can they keep it up?

Brock and Guelph are extremely well coach, with great motivators in room. Goaltending for both might be questionable

Lakehead works hard but I cannot see them winning oua west. Too many holes

York is in total rebuild and probably won’t make playoffs unless shield Is dominant

Laurier works hard as unit, then they disappear. Not sure which Laurier team will show up

waterloo is always well coach but don’t have scoring.

As of today, if playoffs started. I’m going with Guelph and like above poster said Ryerson not battle hardened “coaching”

Thoughts ?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Noticed that UofT is leading the OUA West. With only two loses on the season they are ranked #3 nationally. I'm so used to seeing them near the bottom of the conference.

York having a tough year.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Noticed that UofT is leading the OUA West. With only two loses on the season they are ranked #3 nationally. I'm so used to seeing them near the bottom of the conference.

Time to start taking them serious. I would like to see them match up against Carleton, who IMO, has the best shot at a University cup. That's of all the OUA teams.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

OOU records are deceptive.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Time to start taking them serious. I would like to see them match up against Carleton, who IMO, has the best shot at a University cup. That's of all the OUA teams.

Yes and No.

The OUA West is a shell of its former self. Recent powers Western, Lakehead, and York are weak, Brock, Laurier, and Waterloo are middling. They have no real competition.

AND their schedule does not include ANY games against Carleton, McGill, or UQTR. The OUA reduced inter-division games, and the result is that Toronto has only had to face RMC, Queen's (who are not what they were last season), Ottawa, and Ontario Tech.

Toronto is good, but they've not yet been tested.

Reactions: Rob

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I think personal opinion that Lakehead might be on the upswing again they can finally score which the last couple years was an issue finding a defenceman who scores nearly a point a game helps alot if this team can find a goalie at least half decent i think they could move up you're not gonna find another Chris Whitley finding a gem like that is like New Jersey drafting brodeur mid first round it's not gonna happen again

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Before I jump on the 'Toronto' wagon - I want to see how they do against Windsor. The first half of their schedule was soft and now they have a few more games vs harder teams (Lost to Ryerson last week and have to play Windsor this weekend and two more times - the last time is the last game of the season - could be for 1st place).

The OUA-East and UCup opponents are a whole different ball of wax to deal with compared to their local opponents in the OUA-West. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Half to say - nice to have something 'new' to follow

Reactions: MiamiHockey

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think personal opinion that Lakehead might be on the upswing again they can finally score which the last couple years was an issue finding a defenceman who scores nearly a point a game helps alot if this team can find a goalie at least half decent i think they could move up you're not gonna find another Chris Whitley finding a gem like that is like New Jersey drafting brodeur mid first round it's not gonna happen again

Would definitely love to see Lakehead win the OUA West so they can make it back to the Nationals. Don't think they've been there is '06?

Of course UofT hasn't been there since maybe the 90's. Ryerson never.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UQTR vs McGill.
The Pats win in 1-0. Kill off a 5 minute major for pretty much the entire overtime period and end a scoreless game, in overtime. The second straight win for the Pats over the Redmen.
I also watched a bit of the Toronto vs Western game, that saw the Mustangs win in overtime.
IMO, UQTR, the best of these 4.

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad