2019-20 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
It was a very odd name. There never was a University of Ontario, but if there was the IT could've been in brackets. They could've called it Ontario University of Technology if they wanted the word university in the name. Then the name would've been OUT.

Several years before UOIT was established, Ryerson Institute of Technology (interestingly, always referred to as "Ryerson" and not as "RIT", presumably because of RIT in New York) re-branded as Ryerson Polytechnic University when it was accredited university status. Around 2000, they dropped Polytechnic from their name. It seems that in both cases (which the Globe mentions in the article for UOIT), having "university" in the name was seen as being important from a branding standpoint. Ontario Tech has changed their mind on this. Personally, I'd have changed to Ontario Institute of Technology rather than Ontario Tech, but they didn't ask me.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Several years before UOIT was established, Ryerson Institute of Technology (interestingly, always referred to as "Ryerson" and not as "RIT", presumably because of RIT in New York) re-branded as Ryerson Polytechnic University when it was accredited university status. Around 2000, they dropped Polytechnic from their name. It seems that in both cases (which the Globe mentions in the article for UOIT), having "university" in the name was seen as being important from a branding standpoint. Ontario Tech has changed their mind on this. Personally, I'd have changed to Ontario Institute of Technology rather than Ontario Tech, but they didn't ask me.
Although I hear that people in Toronto call it "Rye High".

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
When do OUA exhibition games start? I'm going to be in Toronto on the weekend of September 14th. Might try to take in a game.
That's the next phase of the off-season speculation - the exhibition schedules which come out in bits and drabs. I suspect that one team at least in Toronto will be playing by then.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
No changes to the AUS this season - it remains 3-on-3 for 5 minutes followed by 3-round shoot-out.

I would prefer to see the Canada West approach (4-4 then 3-3).

Also - AUS & CW are going to Hybrid Icing this season, but not the OUA. This will be interesting if Hybrid Icing is implemented for UCup in Halifax for the OUA teams that advance.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Excuse me if this has been discussed already - the OUA schedule is certainly interesting with the 'Groups of 5s' in each conference along with the 2-1 split as opponents, home-and-home vs the other conference and the rotating through opponents over three years and annually).

A lot of work to reduce travel - not sure if it benefits any particular group, but will likely lead to Queen's Cup opponents who may have not played each that season.

I also thought these additions to the playing regulations were interesting.

- Student athletes suspended or ejected are not allowed within the field of play during competition.
and
- ... Coaches ejected during a game are to leave the competition venue. ... Coaches suspended for a game may not be within the competition venue as of 90 minutes prior to the game; ... Being in attendance of the game is strictly prohibited and coaches may not be in view of the game for any circumstance.

Hockey Canada allows the coach to sit in the stands and watch, as long as they don't try to communicate with players or staff. This is pretty heavy handed - get on the bus, go to your car - just leave.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Excuse me if this has been discussed already - the OUA schedule is certainly interesting with the 'Groups of 5s' in each conference along with the 2-1 split as opponents, home-and-home vs the other conference and the rotating through opponents over three years and annually).

A lot of work to reduce travel - not sure if it benefits any particular group, but will likely lead to Queen's Cup opponents who may have not played each that season.

I also thought these additions to the playing regulations were interesting.

- Student athletes suspended or ejected are not allowed within the field of play during competition.
and
- ... Coaches ejected during a game are to leave the competition venue. ... Coaches suspended for a game may not be within the competition venue as of 90 minutes prior to the game; ... Being in attendance of the game is strictly prohibited and coaches may not be in view of the game for any circumstance.

Hockey Canada allows the coach to sit in the stands and watch, as long as they don't try to communicate with players or staff. This is pretty heavy handed - get on the bus, go to your car - just leave.

About 5 or 6 years ago, the OUA moved to more interdivision games (home-and-home inside division, one game against each team in the other division), but the travel caused major academic and financial struggles. They went back to only four interdivision games (one weekend home, one weekend on the road) in 2017 or 18, iirc.

From a travel point of view, it usually benefits the OUA west teams the most - they generally have two full-weekend road trips a season; everything else is same-day trips. In the more balanced schedule from earlier this decade, there could be as many as 4-5 full weekend trips.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Lakehead loses 4-1 to Guelph game was way close than the score was 2-1 with 2 empty netters both goalies were great for lakehead thats hopefully a good sign as their goaltending has been god awful since 2012ish see if it can be built upon tomorrow

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I went to Guelph university and last year playoff run was so fun, i'll try to go catch a game or two at Ottawa U.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I caught the third period of the annual Colonel by Classic hockey game between Carleton v Ottawa. The Gee Gees had a 2-0 but the Ravens scored four in the third period to win 4-2. What was interesting about this game was that it took place at TD Place (home of the Ottawa 67s). Attendance was 2600 which is huge for most OUA teams. The best part was how rowdy the fans were. At the end of the game one Carleton fan was hanging over the glass flipping the Gee Gees the bird.

Reactions: KKWG11

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I caught the third period of the annual Colonel by Classic hockey game between Carleton v Ottawa. The Gee Gees had a 2-0 but the Ravens scored four in the third period to win 4-2. What was interesting about this game was that it took place at TD Place (home of the Ottawa 67s). Attendance was 2600 which is huge for most OUA teams. The best part was how rowdy the fans were. At the end of the game one Carleton fan was hanging over the glass flipping the Gee Gees the bird.

I'm gonna guess that alcohol was a big factor in the rowdiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad