2019-20 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Haven't McGill and Concordia met three years in a row now?

I'm surprised to see at least two OUA posters pick Western over Toronto.

Agree. Western has limped into the playoffs, losing their final 3 games and scoring a total of 3 goals in those games.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
**Disclaimer - I haven’t watched a second of Toronto this year so take my opinion with a grain of salt**

I can see people being weary of Toronto because they came out of nowhere this year + aren’t playoff “tested/experienced”...but they have one of the best goal differentials in the country, which leads me to believe that their record isn’t due to them getting lucky and winning a bunch of one goal games. The numbers would imply they are legit.

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
**Disclaimer - I haven’t watched a second of Toronto this year so take my opinion with a grain of salt**

I can see people being weary of Toronto because they came out of nowhere this year + aren’t playoff “tested/experienced”...but they have one of the best goal differentials in the country, which leads me to believe that their record isn’t due to them getting lucky and winning a bunch of one goal games. The numbers would imply they are legit.

sometimes numbers are just numbers. You can’t teach experience without going thru battles of playoff.

That said, Medel has done a great job with rebuild u of t but I can see why people are picking Western in 1st rd or Guelph to win West.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Haven't McGill and Concordia met three years in a row now?

I'm surprised to see at least two OUA posters pick Western over Toronto.

For me there are two reasons to expect Western over Toronto:

1) Toronto scored a much easier crossover schedule versus the East than Western.
Toronto faced Laurentian UOIT RMC and Queens.
Western faced Carleton Ottawa and UQTR.
So the gap between them in the standings is not that big.

2) The playoffs are different and you need to learn how to win.
Western has a much more experienced coach and a roster with greater pedigree.

Reactions: Rob

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Western will go as far as Peresini takes them
This is exactly why I'd pick Toronto to win.

Lucas Peresinni has had a miserable year, and his numbers show it: of 28 qualified goalies in the OUA, he was 26th in GAA and 23rd in save%. He's just not the same goaltender he was a year ago, and he will need to find his game quickly if Western has any chance. I like Toronto in two.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
1) Toronto scored a much easier crossover schedule versus the East than Western.
Toronto faced Laurentian UOIT RMC and Queens.
Western faced Carleton Ottawa and UQTR.
So the gap between them in the standings is not that big.
This is true, but Western earned 3 of a possible 8 points in their crossover games. Toronto earned 8 of 8, so the schedule gave UofT no more than five additional points. With that adjustment, Toronto still ended the season 13 points clear of the Mustangs.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
This is true, but Western earned 3 of a possible 8 points in their crossover games. Toronto earned 8 of 8, so the schedule gave UofT no more than five additional points. With that adjustment, Toronto still ended the season 13 points clear of the Mustangs.

I'm not denying the standings ... but if you assume that Toronto goes .500 against the Carleton / UQTR / Ottawa combo, they become the No. 2 seed behind Ryerson.

I also look at a team like Toronto as catching opponents off guard early in the season because nobody was expecting much out of them. I hope I'm proven wrong, but experience tells me otherwise.

I'm not sure what's up with Western. They're not as deep as they've been in the past, but their top-end players are elite. They're as talented as any team in the OUA West ... if they come to play.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

This didn’t age well...

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Predictions:

East:
Carleton over RMC in 3
Queens over UQTR in 3
Ottawa over UOIT in 3
Concordia over McGill in 3

East:
Western over Toronto in 2
Ryerson over Lakehead in 2
Guelph over Laurier in 2
Brock over Windsor in 3

I see Carleton and Guelph in the Queens Cup Final.

This aged well.

Kind of surprised at the UQTR-Queens series, because I thought Queens defends well, but ultimately Queens' lack of offensive skill hurt them.

Carleton played way below its talent level against RMC.

Second Round:
Carleton over Concordia in 3
UQTR over Ottawa in 3
Western over Ryerson in 3
Guelph over Brock in 3

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Round 2 schedule for OUA West is set, nothing posted for the East yet:

Wed Feb 19 Western at Ryerson, 7:15pm
Sat Feb 22 Ryerson at Western, 3:00pm
Sun Feb 23 Western at Ryerson, 7:15pm

Thu Feb 20 Brock at Guelph, 7:30pm
Fri Feb 21 Guelph at Brock, 7:15pm
Sun Feb 23 Brock at Guelph, 7:30pm

Reactions: MiamiHockey

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I noticed Aagaard wasn’t named to either OUA West all-star team...thought that was interesting.

By the way, he has played in only one game in the DEL so far, although I’m not sure if there is a reason for that (injury for example).

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I noticed Aagaard wasn’t named to either OUA West all-star team...thought that was interesting.

By the way, he has played in only one game in the DEL so far, although I’m not sure if there is a reason for that (injury for example).

In the OUA, you have to be nominated by your Coach / AD for these awards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00