Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 NHL Season officially suspended due to COVID-19

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Honestly, we should already be closing up a few things to the public for a bit to avoid a lot of things. It isn't just about getting sick, its about the rates of infections and overloading medical systems who aren't equipped to deal with hundreds, if not thousands of people getting a virus like this. The hospitals in Italy and China have shown just how quickly things can be overloaded. People might think its no big deal, and for a good part of the population that might be true. When you have family with compromised immune systems, or cancer patients, or the elderly, the death rate climbs drastically.

I think it was something from the CDC a couple of days ago that they thought one person, on average, would infect 3-7 people. I'm guessing this is honestly far worse than we already realize because we have no good way of testing genpop at the moment, now they're talking about how a Boston-based biotech company Biogen just had an event with 200ish people, and that a significant number of them are now infected. 70 of 92 cases originated at a buffet there and I would expect that number to climb. One person in a bathroom at a hockey game could infect dozens.
Yeah not overloading hospitals and the medical system in general is key. South Korea showed us how it’s done (after their initial huge boost in numbers). Early on they closed down public events and such to prevent big portions of the population getting sick at the same time. That, paired with aggressive testing is what’s needed.

That said, the regular influenza has a mortality rate about 2.8 times higher than the corona virus and nobody is freaking out about that. Puts things maybe in perspective. Most of us will get the virus but feel a bit weak with cold-like symptoms and that’s it. It’s the already weakened, fragile and sick that we need to protect though.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah not overloading hospitals and the medical system in general is key. South Korea showed us how it’s done (after their initial huge boost in numbers). Early on they closed down public events and such to prevent big portions of the population getting sick at the same time. That, paired with aggressive testing is what’s needed.

That said, the regular influenza has a mortality rate about 2.8 times higher than the corona virus and nobody is freaking out about that. Puts things maybe in perspective. Most of us will get the virus but feel a bit weak with cold-like symptoms and that’s it. It’s the already weakened, fragile and sick that we need to protect though.
In terms of total deaths, the flu has more, but COVID is definitely more deadly per capita. 10-15x more deadly.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The WHL has four teams in the state of Washington. Teams directly affected so far are the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips.

Last edited:

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Seems all teams will soon move towards empty arenas. This thing will really blow up though if one athlete tests positive.

You'd basically have to quarantine the whole team at that point with the close quarters those guys share, right? How do you make that work and continue with a season?

I'm not sure you can.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Seems all teams will soon move towards empty arenas. This thing will really blow up though if one athlete tests positive.

You'd basically have to quarantine the whole team at that point with the close quarters those guys share, right? How do you make that work and continue with a season?

I'm not sure you can.
Teams deal with flu, mumps, etc. I think they'd just treat it like IR. The actual symptoms are pretty mild in most people.

Quarantine them the rest of the time though.

If test kits were widely available, I don't think it'd be as much of an issue.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
In terms of total deaths, the flu has more, but COVID is definitely more deadly per capita. 10-15x more deadly.

In what context though? The number I posted above is from France. Germany for example has an even lower mortality rate for corona so far and compared to the flu. Of course in a place like rural China that would look different.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Empty arenas might help this team. Less pressure which means they won't choke.
Yeah as long as they don’t cancel it completely. If one player in the league gets it they’re gonna shut it all down, this is what I heard on 620wdae anyway.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
In what context though? The number I posted above is from France. Germany for example has an even lower mortality rate for corona so far and compared to the flu. Of course in a place like rural China that would look different.
He's talking about globally. It's an estimate since China has unreliable numbers and probably the vast majority of cases everywhere will go unaccounted for.

I have seen 3.4 globally (1.6 outside of China) death rates though.

COVID has a small sample size compared to the century of flu data that's out there.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think once one of the players gets it the whole league will shut down. (Inevitable)

Sad Sad time for Lightning fans

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The Governor 'advising' to shut down everything seems to be the first step to it happening in the following 24-48 hours.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
whats yer all thoughts im seeing shut down public games will go on ,,,,, will they televise? know allow some media so far.... canceled entirely? do you guys see this happening?

nba is discussing and maybe nhl of pushing games calendar back this season lots of discussions going on right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad