Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 NHL Season officially suspended due to COVID-19

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

The National Hockey League Players' Association's Executive Board is expected to approve a 24-team Return to Play proposal put forth by the NHL according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.
"If that is indeed the case, and I believe team by team balloting has concluded or will conclude shortly, it should pave the way for the NHL and NHLPA to perhaps formally announce the RTP format in the coming days," he tweeted.
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun adds that even once the NHL has an answer from the NHLPA on the Return to Play proposal, the league has its own process to go through, but the expectation is an official announcement would come within a few days.

According to McKenzie, an announcement is not expected to come with any timetable or critical date rollout.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Penguins players vote 'yes' to NHL's proposed return-to-play format - Sportsnet.ca
As reports swirled that the Pittsburgh Penguins voted against the 24-team resumption of the NHL season, the team’s NHLPA representative, Kris Letang, said that he voted in favour of the proposal.

“At the end of the day, nobody gets exactly what they want,” the cornerstone defenceman said Friday night. “But, we all want what is best for hockey and to continue to grow the game.”

Letang agreed that some players shared strong opinions on Thursday’s conference call, “but we have a union for everyone to express our views. Whatever the format is, some agree, some don’t. As a union, we want to make the best decisions over time, the greater good for everyone.”

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Interesting seeing the lightning as one of the teams to veto. Wonder who was the representative and if it was due to format or risk of illness? I can’t see how they wouldn’t want to finish the playoffs this year so they could wipe away last years embarrassment.

Reactions: JFleegs

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Just saw that hm well if it was regular season it would be similar teams playing meaningful games while Tampa is in a playoff spot. I don’t get that reasoning.

edit: also would coopers ass still be saved if he can’t get the team going and are out of round one again?
The 17-24 teams would be warmed up for playoff hockey already. It'd be their second round when TB starts their first.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

i wondered about this too. one of the more well-accepted reasons for why we got smashed by cbj last year is because they'd been in high gear for so long, whereas we hadn't played a truly meaningful game since... january? if at all. i can see us being a little tentative to a play a team who's had a few games to get themselves in shape.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Cooper should be running a competitive mini training camp to get guys in game shape. All it is is excuses for why they lost. No reason to be tired or injured. Watching the last dance really gives you insight in the mind set of a winning team. Always competitive practices and find ways to win through sheer determination. Sick of hearing bs excuses of last years playoffs.

Reactions: Todd1a

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If it was up to me I wouldn't have gone to 24 teams but it isn't the most atrocious format and they probably wouldn't have gotten the votes to hold fast at 16 teams so whatever.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
To even it up a bit why can't the teams not in the first round play a 4 game 'pre-season' set against one of the other teams not playing in it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If anything, I think a round robin between the 4 teams with a bye would be used for reseeding purposes

It probably will be but those 4 teams are already guaranteed to be in the playoffs. So even if they lose all their games they're still in and just drop to the 4 seed, so no incentive to really try to push hard and win them. While the other teams are fighting to move onto the actual playoffs.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
It probably will be but those 4 teams are already guaranteed to be in the playoffs. So even if they lose all their games they're still in and just drop to the 4 seed, so no incentive to really try to push hard and win them. While the other teams are fighting to move onto the actual playoffs.
Then get your mind right and treat those round robin games as playoff games. It’s all just mental games. Find ways to motivate yourself. It’s incredible to me that this is an excuse for not being ready to play.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper should be running a competitive mini training camp to get guys in game shape. All it is is excuses for why they lost. No reason to be tired or injured. Watching the last dance really gives you insight in the mind set of a winning team. Always competitive practices and find ways to win through sheer determination. Sick of hearing bs excuses of last years playoffs.

ya watching the last dance and JordanS winning attitude I can see why we have won zero cups with this core so far.

is the 24 team playoff fair no but it is what it is stop making excuse lightning and go play hockey!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

cooper is a poor leader in is no Phil Jackson

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If they drop to 4 seed they likely get a tough matchup with Pittsburgh first followed by the Bruins/Leafs/Jackets. Yikes. That should be motivation enough. Would be nicer to just stay as 2nd seed tbh, that half of the bracket looks easier. Unless the whole thing just gets reseeded? I don't know the particulars.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

It's up to us to self motivate or treat those games against Boston, Washington, and Philly, with the upmost seriousness. I think the Boston game will be pretty competitive, just because of how the 2 have played each other this season. But if say Washington or Philly wants to go 50% against us, that's up to them. We need to use those games to worry about us. No agreement was going to please everyone, but we get 3 games against real good teams to prepare while Toronto and Pittsburgh have to jump right in. I'd rather be in our spot than theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad