Speculation: 2019-20 News/Rumors,Roster thread Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think I would advocate making a move for a player like Eichel at this point. He is already expensive in an environment where the cap is not going to rise much over the next few seasons. Are we going to pay a combined $31M in cap hit for Eichel, Kopitar, and Doughty? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
I agree, at this point we have the pipeline set up to where we'll have high, depth and tradeable kids trickling in over the next 3 seasons..
Should this team build on how they ended the season and be in the playoff hunt then I might be inclined to move a kid in a package for some LT help. I see Byfield/Stutzle, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Anderson and Bjornfot as untouchable... I could see us moving a package with some of the follwoing, Kempe, Lizotte, Amadio, Wagner, JAD, Grundstrom, Brickley, Durzi and so on. We dont need to trade for a Superstar, we just need the players we have now to drive home teh development for these kids..

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I agree, at this point we have the pipeline set up to where we'll have high, depth and tradeable kids trickling in over the next 3 seasons..
Should this team build on how they ended the season and be in the playoff hunt then I might be inclined to move a kid in a package for some LT help. I see Byfield/Stutzle, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Anderson and Bjornfot as untouchable... I could see us moving a package with some of the follwoing, Kempe, Lizotte, Amadio, Wagner, JAD, Grundstrom, Brickley, Durzi and so on. We dont need to trade for a Superstar, we just need the players we have now to drive home teh development for these kids..

A package drawn from that will bring back virtually nothing.

If the Kings could still afford a top LHD then you do an Eichel trade (with a Carter or Brown going back for cap purposes) everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Byfield and Stutzle are nowhere near proven which is why Buffalo won't be trading Eichel anyway.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
A package drawn from that will bring back virtually nothing.

If the Kings could still afford a top LHD then you do an Eichel trade (with a Carter or Brown going back for cap purposes) everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Byfield and Stutzle are nowhere near proven which is why Buffalo won't be trading Eichel anyway.

Why? its pretty stupid to trade away the 2nd OA pick, Vilardi/Turcotte, Anderson/Bjornfot.. and then be right back in the same situation.
You think adding Eichel to this squad does anything? Kopitar/Eichel/Doughty/Brown/Quick/Carter and thats about it for the team cap wise.. We wont have the talented youngsters to fill in this roster because you traded them away, we wouldnt be signing anyone with the cap space that remains(not like UFAs were coming anyways).. You simply stay the course while trickling in the kids over the next 3 seasona and see where we are as a team after each of those seasons.. Should this team continue to play the way they ended the season and say Byfield proves to be more than ready, Vilardi stays healthy and Turcotte shines in Ontario then maybe you think of accelerating this rebuild.. Actually, you would only need 2/3.. This pipeline is comparable to the Dodgers pipeline, you make trades once you have the prospect depth and have made thorough evaluations

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Why? its pretty stupid to trade away the 2nd OA pick, Vilardi/Turcotte, Anderson/Bjornfot.. and then be right back in the same situation.
You think adding Eichel to this squad does anything? Kopitar/Eichel/Doughty/Brown/Quick/Carter and thats about it for the team cap wise.. We wont have the talented youngsters to fill in this roster because you traded them away, we wouldnt be signing anyone with the cap space that remains(not like UFAs were coming anyways).. You simply stay the course while trickling in the kids over the next 3 seasona and see where we are as a team after each of those seasons.. Should this team continue to play the way they ended the season and say Byfield proves to be more than ready, Vilardi stays healthy and Turcotte shines in Ontario then maybe you think of accelerating this rebuild.. Actually, you would only need 2/3.. This pipeline is comparable to the Dodgers pipeline, you make trades once you have the prospect depth and have made thorough evaluations

Sorry, stopped reading after that.

Reactions: AnThGrt and BigKing

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Sorry, stopped reading after that.
fair enough but you just blew up this team's pipeline and cap for one player.. who is he suppose to play with and how are we suppose to sign said support players? this isnt the NBA where guys take the min for a shot at glory. You make that type of trade 2 years down teh line once you see how some of these kids have panned out and if a they're ready for that next step..
I'm in no rush to see this team turn into another Buffalo

Reactions: Statto

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It just really depends. There isn't any use arguing over it as we have no indication of it ever happening, but I wouldn't find it an easy decision if Eichel were to be offered to us for the 2nd overall pick, prospect, and a cap dump. We are ranked the top prospect pool in the league WITHOUT the 2nd overall pick... If Buffalo gets crazy and wants to give us a dominant and elite 23-year-old center for futures that might one day become the same, you have to consider it. I am all aboard the pick Byfield and run with it bus, but sometimes we get enamored on this board with the future and potential and when someone compares that with the real deal it's hard to ignore, you have to listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: funky and BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Eichel is 23 so, yes, they would still have talented youngsters to fill in the roster. You'd still have one of Vilardi/Turcotte and one of Anderson/Bjornfot. Package those 2nds and move back in to the 1st round for this year as well.

If the Kings pipeline is the best in the league before adding whoever they pick at #2, then it doesn't all of a sudden go to shit because two prospects leave.

Won't be signing anyone with the cap space? Well, the actual NHL roster has an elite #1C that is 23 years old and signed for six more seasons. That means there is plenty of tread on Eichel's contract once Carter and others cap hits fall away.

The Kings have old dudes and then a bunch of unknowns whereas Eichel fills the gap in that age range where the Kings have nobody since DL traded 1st round picks and then they whiffed on most of the remaining picks. Eichel will still be crushing it once the rest of these prospects are ready.

If Eichel forced his way out now, Blake would have to kick the tires. He's the type of guy you hope to draft at 1 or 2OA while you are talking about Byfield maybe being more than ready, Vilardi staying healthy and Turcotte shining in Ontario. The Kings have nothing in the hand and a ton in the bush right now. With the depth of the prospect pool and Eichel's age, you definitely have to be interested in a deal for him. Guys of his talent and age do not become available. If you floated that proposed package to Buffalo fans, they would say it isn't enough.

Reactions: psych3man

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Eichel is 23 so, yes, they would still have talented youngsters to fill in the roster. You'd still have one of Vilardi/Turcotte and one of Anderson/Bjornfot. Package those 2nds and move back in to the 1st round for this year as well.

If the Kings pipeline is the best in the league before adding whoever they pick at #2, then it doesn't all of a sudden go to shit because two prospects leave.

Won't be signing anyone with the cap space? Well, the actual NHL roster has an elite #1C that is 23 years old and signed for six more seasons. That means there is plenty of tread on Eichel's contract once Carter and others cap hits fall away.

The Kings have old dudes and then a bunch of unknowns whereas Eichel fills the gap in that age range where the Kings have nobody since DL traded 1st round picks and then they whiffed on most of the remaining picks. Eichel will still be crushing it once the rest of these prospects are ready.

If Eichel forced his way out now, Blake would have to kick the tires. He's the type of guy you hope to draft at 1 or 2OA while you are talking about Byfield maybe being more than ready, Vilardi staying healthy and Turcotte shining in Ontario. The Kings have nothing in the hand and a ton in the bush right now. With the depth of the prospect pool and Eichel's age, you definitely have to be interested in a deal for him. Guys of his talent and age do not become available. If you floated that proposed package to Buffalo fans, they would say it isn't enough.
Eichel would cost more than more than that.. you're talking about 2OA, Vilardi, Kailyev as a start.. they have their D set what they lack is offense, There's zero harm in waiting and seeing what becomes of the kids.. You can wait until next season really, at worse the price will still be the same, at best the kids take the next steps in their develoment and the cost to acquire a Jack Eichel has less pieces going to Buffalo.. I dont see the rush to blow this up because thats what this would be, i'll go out on a limb and say that staying teh course gives us a much better shot at being a contender.. I'll also say that a full healthy season of Gabriel Vilardi will diminish the urge to purge this team for a quick fix.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why are people on the main boards advocating for a 7x11 contract for Pietrangelo but claim Doughty is a cap dump? I'm not going to argue that Drew has better stats over the past two seasons, but look at the quality of the teams. It's bananas to me. They're the same age and Drew is already over the hill, but AP will be consistent for seven years?

Reactions: funky

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Eichel would cost more than more than that.. you're talking about 2OA, Vilardi, Kailyev as a start.. they have their D set what they lack is offense, There's zero harm in waiting and seeing what becomes of the kids.. You can wait until next season really, at worse the price will still be the same, at best the kids take the next steps in their develoment and the cost to acquire a Jack Eichel has less pieces going to Buffalo.. I dont see the rush to blow this up because thats what this would be, i'll go out on a limb and say that staying teh course gives us a much better shot at being a contender.. I'll also say that a full healthy season of Gabriel Vilardi will diminish the urge to purge this team for a quick fix.

I just don't think Eichel is a quick fix: his age makes him a long-term solution.

Of course, cost comes in to play. Waiting until next season only works if that is when a forced trade occurs. Point is that if he becomes available, Blake would be negligent not to kick the tires.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I just don't think Eichel is a quick fix: his age makes him a long-term solution.

Of course, cost comes in to play. Waiting until next season only works if that is when a forced trade occurs. Point is that if he becomes available, Blake would be negligent not to kick the tires.
No doubt sinced its his job as GM, but touching on the forced trade.. Buffalo cleaned house and will likely get another chance with Jack, they'll fail of course because that owner is garbage. I expect him to be gone by next years draft.. We'll likely have just as much ammo to make the dream happen

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why are people on the main boards advocating for a 7x11 contract for Pietrangelo but claim Doughty is a cap dump? I'm not going to argue that Drew has better stats over the past two seasons, but look at the quality of the teams. It's bananas to me. They're the same age and Drew is already over the hill, but AP will be consistent for seven years?

Because Drew has spoiled everyone with a strong 82+ games a year for his whole career so any dip in play is because he's suddenly bad. Every other elite d-man is allowed to take off 30-40 games a season for a variety of reasons. So even if Pietrangelo starts sagging it's ok.

Reactions: kilowatt

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005

very simply, people are dumb

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Eichel won't move us into contention next season. I don't think you make an Eichel move unless it would put you over the top. Thats a lot of entry level deals moving out for him that we will need to win a cup.

Say you can get him for #2, Turcotte, kaliyev. Thats about 3 million in cap space for the next few seasons vs 10. There are a lot of options with the extra 7 mil to fill other holes with.

Then you have to worry that the kings aren't there in 3-4 years. you only have a yer or two left on his contract and you've lost #2, turcotte and Kaliyev who are just getting going in this league.

TLDR
Not the time to trade young cap controlled kids for a single 10 mil player

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
If we get by field at the draft. Would anybody be interested in knocking on top of his door and proposing a Turcotte for Sergachev trade ?

They are going to be up against the cap. Is there any way they would do a Sergachev and Palat for Turcotte, Clague and our later 2nd rounder? Or am I way out to lunch.

Palat has 2 years left at 5 mil and puts up 2 points every 3 games while playing LW and Sergachev is a 22 year old LH two way defenseman that has been groomed right and is up to 20 mins a night. He’s slots in to our lineup next to Doughty.

I imagine that Tampa Bay would have a real hard time giving him up, but I also believe they will have cap factors to consider. They have Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn as Left shot D man signed for next year allowing Clague another development year to replace Coburn at basically no cost. Tampa has very little Defensive prospects other than a right shot Foote.

Sergachev is an RFA and will cost some big bucks.

He is basically three years ahead of where our prospects are. I think it would be a steal if we could land him.

Reactions: RocketKing

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Eichel won't move us into contention next season. I don't think you make an Eichel move unless it would put you over the top. Thats a lot of entry level deals moving out for him that we will need to win a cup.

Say you can get him for #2, Turcotte, kaliyev. Thats about 3 million in cap space for the next few seasons vs 10. There are a lot of options with the extra 7 mil to fill other holes with.

Then you have to worry that the kings aren't there in 3-4 years. you only have a yer or two left on his contract and you've lost #2, turcotte and Kaliyev who are just getting going in this league.

TLDR
Not the time to trade young cap controlled kids for a single 10 mil player

But the $10MM player is still so young and probably better than any of the three you listed: especially Turcotte. I mean, I hope that 2OA, Turcotte and Kaliyev all reach their potential but there are good odds that at lest one of them doesn't.

I fully get the value of the ELC's as well. I'm not looking to take on a big cap number but Eichel's age makes it palatable. Also, if #2OA/Turcotte/Kaliyev are just getting going 3-4 years from now then this rebuild is taking longer than expected. In four years, we should be hoping that all three of these dudes are ready for their 2nd contract.

As for moving the King in to contention, I agree they aren't a cup contender but this proposed trade takes zero away from the current roster and plops an elite #1C into the mix. Teams biggest problem is scoring and they would have an Eichel/Kopitar/Vilardi down the middle.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
With respect think a lot of people are getting too cute trying to move the #2 pick that we all hockey-prayed for.

I'm all about keeping the pick but Eichel being available would be a rarity and I'm definitely interested under the hypothetical of all futures going the other way. I normally wouldn't be but Eichel is still so young and the Kings still have a lot of prospect depth.

Part of the whole deal with acquiring all of these prospects is about shipping some out in a package for a sure thing, a known quantity. I totally get that now isn't exactly the right time as it isn't a Richards/2012 Kings situation but Eichel being available at this moment would be unicorn level shit.

Like many on here, I've been around too long to post an entire lineup of current prospects and claim they are winning the Cup in four years. I've seen the Kings ranked as Top 5 prospect pool only to see a lot of those prospects in the Top 5 that pushed the ranking wind up not amounting to much or, in some cases, being Colten f***ing Teubert. Due to this, I'm definitely interested in hearing out any Eichel offers. Now, if it was someone like Panarin who will be 29 this year with a large cap hit then I'm not interested but Eichel is different.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Unless Pietrangelo is the next coming of Lidstrom or Chara (and I don't think he is in their class), any team giving him 7 years will end up regretting it.

Reactions: deeshamrock

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Buffalo trading Eichel away signals another rebuild for the franchise. I do not think their fans will tolerate this and their front office knows it.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If we get by field at the draft. Would anybody be interested in knocking on top of his door and proposing a Turcotte for Sergachev trade ?

They are going to be up against the cap. Is there any way they would do a Sergachev and Palat for Turcotte, Clague and our later 2nd rounder? Or am I way out to lunch.

Palat has 2 years left at 5 mil and puts up 2 points every 3 games while playing LW and Sergachev is a 22 year old LH two way defenseman that has been groomed right and is up to 20 mins a night. He’s slots in to our lineup next to Doughty.

I imagine that Tampa Bay would have a real hard time giving him up, but I also believe they will have cap factors to consider. They have Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn as Left shot D man signed for next year allowing Clague another development year to replace Coburn at basically no cost. Tampa has very little Defensive prospects other than a right shot Foote.

Sergachev is an RFA and will cost some big bucks.

He is basically three years ahead of where our prospects are. I think it would be a steal if we could land him.

This is the kind of move the Kings should be looking for. Not sure if they would be able to pull off someone like Sergachev, but that's the idea looking at one of the young upcoming defensemen throughout the league. Maybe look more at someone in the Cal Foote vein.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'd also like to add that Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years. No way they trade Eichel unless he asks to be traded.

Definitely. He is someone you don't trade because you will most likely lose said trade: especially if made under the condition of Eichel forcing it.

They are a disaster so another season wasted for Eichel and he could get froggy if he isn't already.

Reactions: jfont

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kaliyev - Vilardi - Kupari
Fagemo - Byfield - Madden
Shafigullin - Turcotte - Thomas.. all 3 can play mutiple positions
Dudas - JAD -Sodergran
Lee - Luff

Anderson - Durzi
Bjornfot - Spence
Brickley - Clague
Hults
Moverare
Nousianinen
Phillips

Ingham
Parik
Villalta

Plus 3 2nds, of these those bolded have already played in the NHL and those in Italics will be on the radar to get their cup of coffee... Not a bad pool to replenish your big club and have enough left over to target a stud like Eichel should they choose to go that route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad