Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Didn't see this posted

Kings Rumors: Quick’s future "up in the air," Kovalchuk trade-bait?

In his latest for The Athletic (hard paywall), NHL Insider Pierre LeBrun speculated on Kovalchuk’s future in Los Angeles. Last season, maybe his three-year deal combined with injuries scared the suitors way too heavily before acquiring him. A resurgent Kovalchuk, with “only” two years left on his contract, might be worth a look from the contenders again.
”The most important thing to point out in Ilya Kovalchuk’s situation is that soon enough, his contract represents a bargain. Half of his $5.3-million signing bonus for this year was paid out on July 15, with the other half due on Dec. 15. Once that’s been taken care of, the Kings will have paid out all $13.15 million in signing bonus money on Kovalchuk’s contract, and will have paid most of his $700,000 salary this season by the time Feb. 24 rolls around,” wrote LeBrun.
He mentioned Boston and San Jose as the teams interested before July 1st in 2018. Their tough salary cap situation means they should be out of the contention here. However, teams like the New York Islanders, who were alleged to be interested in him last year, and have some salary cap space, might circle back more realistically.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
at least it is positive news. Don't need to get hopes up but I'm happy
yeah unfortunately we've crossed into "believe it when i see it" territory with him

not sure i'll believe it even if i do see it..

Reactions: YP44

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Pronman has another article up on The Athletic where he gives updates his prospect impressions based on what he's "seen, thought and heard lately from rinks across the NHL prospect world". I am duty-bound to report three Kings prospects appear in his list of twenty six bullet points:

18. Minnesota-Duluth defenseman Scott Perunovich (St. Louis) on Mikey Anderson (Los Angeles): “I don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a mistake. If you had six Mikey Andersons on your blue line, you’d win every game.”

22. Sheldon Rempal (RW, Los Angeles) is a guy I’ve underrated a bit. I don’t know if he’s NHL caliber, but he’s got a chance.

24. Alex Turcotte (C, Los Angeles) rightfully gets a lot of praise for his skill and playmaking ability. What evaluators often point out about him is how hard he competes. On Wisconsin’s sixth goal, you see how he starts with the puck behind the opponent’s net, the play leads to a shot and Duluth getting the puck, only for him to force the turnover that leads to the goal.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pronman has another article up on The Athletic where he gives updates his prospect impressions based on what he's "seen, thought and heard lately from rinks across the NHL prospect world". I amd duty-bound to report three Kings prospects appear in his list of twenty six bullet points:

came to post just this...love how everything on Anderson is progressing

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's on the players as well. They quit on Stevens and didn't give Willie a chance...

It's certainly not all on the coaches, but it's apparent that this team needs a certain style of leadership. Both Stevens and Willie aren't the kind of guys who command respect, it's really apparent how big of a problem the coaching was last year. Of course players were embarrassed too, so that contributes a lot to their attitude this year. The weirdest thing is this team is actually good. They ran into some incredible goaltending or they would be at least a game over .500.

I'm not expecting it to keep up, the learning curve and mistakes we see by young players are going to surely cost them games this year. But it's encouraging, and really I don't think it could go much better so far. The Vilardi news and last years draft is a huge shot in the arm. Not sure how that will turn out, but maybe things are finally turning around luck-wise after all that shit went down after 2014.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's certainly not all on the coaches, but it's apparent that this team needs a certain style of leadership. Both Stevens and Willie aren't the kind of guys who command respect, it's really apparent how big of a problem the coaching was last year. Of course players were embarrassed too, so that contributes a lot to their attitude this year. The weirdest thing is this team is actually good. They ran into some incredible goaltending or they would be at least a game over .500.

I'm not expecting it to keep up, the learning curve and mistakes we see by young players are going to surely cost them games this year. But it's encouraging, and really I don't think it could go much better so far. The Vilardi news and last years draft is a huge shot in the arm. Not sure how that will turn out, but maybe things are finally turning around luck-wise after all that **** went down after 2014.

Yeah, a mistake like the one by Wagner last night should be the expectation frankly.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I'm not expecting it to keep up, the learning curve and mistakes we see by young players are going to surely cost them games this year. But it's encouraging, and really I don't think it could go much better so far. The Vilardi news and last years draft is a huge shot in the arm. Not sure how that will turn out, but maybe things are finally turning around luck-wise after all that **** went down after 2014.

Agreed,

I think they need to move Kovalchuk this off-season, and listen to offers on Quick, Carter, Toffoli, Lewis, Clifford.....not necessarily is a MUST move right now.....8games into the season, but surprise surprise, the team isn't as bad as people thought, still need to encourage youth, but I don't think you burn the barn down to get there....

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I wonder what the Islanders would want for Ho-Sang. not even sure I would want him.
blows my mind they haven't traded him

he blew up the OHL and was solid in the AHL, someone can afford to play him even if he is a lazy prick

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is Tyler Toffoli on the block? And what might be the asking price?

I would say yes and no, but right now it's too early to tell. Blake said he will revisit the Toffoli situation around January (paraphrasing here). What does that mean? It could mean that if Tyler is playing well and producing he may get another deal with the Kings. He is at the right age to re-sign him to an extension as part of the build if the CAP hit is reasonable, no matter how many angry people post on the internet that know better. It could mean the Kings also try and get what they can for him and possibly try and re-sign him in the off-season. He has ties to LA because his wife works for the Dodgers, so he likely really wants to stay here if he can make a deal. Rumor is last trade deadline they got close to a deal with Boston, but the Kings wanted Jack Studnicka as part of the package (likely with a pick) and the Bruins wouldn't budge. So I would say yes, they will listen for sure, but a lot will depend on what is happening with the team in February and if the deal makes sense at the time value wise. The only thing for sure is that it's not a certainty right now.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
blows my mind they haven't traded him

he blew up the OHL and was solid in the AHL, someone can afford to play him even if he is a lazy prick

You know he went on waivers right? We could have made a claim and send Grunds down. Maybe the fact he wasn't claimed or can't be traded is because he is a lazy prick?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You know he went on waivers right? We could have made a claim and send Grunds down. Maybe the fact he wasn't claimed or can't be traded is because he is a lazy prick?
no i completely agree

i also think there's something to be said for him being held back by not being the prototypical good ole canadian boy which i think is kinda bullshit

there's GMs in this league employing radko gudas and (formerly) raffi torres, i think there's room for a lazy, skilled talent. i don't want a league full of nick shores, no offense to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad