GDT: 2019-20 GM#3 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 10/9/19

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Dave Roberts has pitching management issues.

I honestly believe that Roberts does not make any decisions, he does what Friedman and Co. tell him too. Which is why I don't think he will be fired this offseason, he is a great yes man.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah the Kempe at center experiment has got to end he's just been awful and Iafallo was and will never be 1st line player. The lack of depth in this organization on wing and center is truly showing. We have an everyday 3rd or 4th line player playing 1st line minutes. It is what it is we all expected nights like these. This isn't the first and won't be the last. Moving on to the next game.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
What BS are you talking about?
Lack of attention to any kind of detail. Leaving the zone early without possession. Turning pucks over at the top of the circles without backchecking. Not covering for pinching defensemen. Not winning board battles. Not working hard enough to defend shooting or passing lanes on his pointman.

Is that enough? I could go on. Three of those individual lazy plays led directly to goals against tonight.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
More importantly, you can't tolerate his BS when you are trying to change a losing culture with impressionable kids breaking into the league. It was a terrible, terrible signing for a variety of reasons.
The Kovalchuk signing was utter desperation by Robitaille and Blake.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Well last night was one of the best games I watched in the last 82.

Tonight we had Dodger night in Vancouver and Kings night at Dodger stadium

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
One frustrating thing about the Kings is they are not emotionally involved in the games anymore. I hope TM finds a way to bring that out in them.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kovalchuk, Kempe, Martinez were all brutal.

Bjornfot should go back to Sweden.

Another night where emotions don't get managed and goals come in waves.

Defense as a whole is a mess. How is Kopitar the only one back on a 2-on-1 and the next player back is Brown?

Quick let in a couple softies. The loss wasn't his fault, but he didn't do himself any favors.

I am no Quick hater, apart from his contract, but i thought 5 of them were very soft.

Once they gave up the 4th goal, the team really showed a lack of charachter or resolve, which is really the problem with this group of veteran players. Zero accountability, which is far worse than any talent deficiency. That 3rd period should remind everybody of just how far away they are from the pack. It was embarrassing to watch, but apparently not embarrassing enough to play.

Reactions: KINGS17

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
If the NHL is trying to attract "Average Fans" they will fail. Hockey has been a niche sport since it's creation. There are only so many Canadians and Americans don't care to watch, and are watching less and less sports. Euro's watch Soccer and always will.

False... Hockey has been one of the top 2 sports around here (at times clearly no. 1) for decades, no niche whatsoever...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I am no Quick hater, apart from his contract, but i thought 5 of them were very soft.

Once they gave up the 4th goal, the team really showed a lack of charachter or resolve, which is really the problem with this group of veteran players. Zero accountability, which is far worse than any talent deficiency. That 3rd period should remind everybody of just how far away they are from the pack. It was embarrassing to watch, but apparently not embarrassing enough to play.

I disagree on the quantity of very soft goals, but agree with the second paragraph.

This team just deflates so easily.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Look at our D not Doughty it might just be the worst in the league we're gonna get a lot of 8's maybe 9's put on us. Get use to this.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Lack of attention to any kind of detail. Leaving the zone early without possession. Turning pucks over at the top of the circles without backchecking. Not covering for pinching defensemen. Not winning board battles. Not working hard enough to defend shooting or passing lanes on his pointman.

Is that enough? I could go on. Three of those individual lazy plays led directly to goals against tonight.

How do you know he lacks attention to detail? How the f*** do you even know what the detail is? How do you know what the structure is? Is TMAc asking him to leave the zone early to provide a breakout? I've seen Kovalchuk back check quite often and also cover for pinching defensemen, in fact he may be one of our best wingers at rotating to the point. I can't think of many times when he shied away from defending the point off the top of my head.

As for you saying there were 3 goals directly attributed to his lazy plays, I don't think that is fair.

For the first Sutter goal he did fumble a deflected pass, but it was not clean and he got caught from behind. He was in on the back check following the steal and that was not a case of him being lazy.

He was on ice for the Miller goal, where he was covering the front of the net when the puck deflected off of him, I honestly hope you are not blaming him for this one.

The only other goal he was on ice for was the Tanev goal, he was in deep and ended up being close on the backcheck (though he seemed to let up once the pass was made across).

The best I can give you for him being lazy was the Tanev goal, but he wasn't going to catch up anyways.

Reactions: Faterson

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
So we can put a rookie their to play 6 minutes a night and not develop ?

Rather leave them in the AHL to play more minutes.
So what's the point of Clifford then? If he's not scoring and not fighting there are plenty of other guys to be gud pros to the kids. He's tits on a bull. I didnt say they needed to call up a promising kid to play 6 minutes a night but jesus christ we could've had more fire from a career AHL'er like Brett Sutter or a never was like Scott Sabourin, and I guarantee someone like that who's scraping by to stay in the NHL would've done something to try and light a fire under the teams ass.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess you could say my night is going pretty good.

Had great seats to the Dodger game, hurried home because I thought hey, at least I can watch the Kings. Checked the score, decided not to :laugh:

Also I'm out of booze.

Sounds like a burn the tapes sort of night, pretend today didn't exist.

Last edited:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I don't get why some are so defensive when Quick has bad games. Just like all the other aging players on the roster, he is slowing down. Our defense really sucks and Quick is not going to be that guy to bail them out all the time. It's shitty, but he's aging along with Kovy, Marty, Lewis, and Carts, we're just gonna have to accept that he's gonna have more bad games from here on out.

I have no faith in Campbell, so this season is gonna be a lot to take in.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
How do you know he lacks attention to detail? How the **** do you even know what the detail is? How do you know what the structure is? Is TMAc asking him to leave the zone early to provide a breakout? I've seen Kovalchuk back check quite often and also cover for pinching defensemen, in fact he may be one of our best wingers at rotating to the point. I can't think of many times when he shied away from defending the point off the top of my head.

As for you saying there were 3 goals directly attributed to his lazy plays, I don't think that is fair.

For the first Sutter goal he did fumble a deflected pass, but it was not clean and he got caught from behind. He was in on the back check following the steal and that was not a case of him being lazy.

He was on ice for the Miller goal, where he was covering the front of the net when the puck deflected off of him, I honestly hope you are not blaming him for this one.

The only other goal he was on ice for was the Tanev goal, he was in deep and ended up being close on the backcheck (though he seemed to let up once the pass was made across).

The best I can give you for him being lazy was the Tanev goal, but he wasn't going to catch up anyways.

If you don't understand why the first and third goals were directly Kovalchuks fault, you might need to brush up on the ol' books.

The effort on the first was pathetic. Completely pathetic. Everybody and their brother knows whats happening on that play, all he has to do is lean in and counterpinch. He just lazily waved at the puck without making any effort to tie up his man. Thats winger 101. His role there is to prevent the pinch, tie up the puck, win a battle and get the puck out of the zone. Everybody on the ice knows what is supposed to happen there and is caught off guard by his lack of discipline.

The third goal was due to a turnover up ice where lazy Kovalchuk is just standing waiting to be fed a puck and didn't notice or care that Martinez was moving up ice. All he has to do is take three strides to cover for him, as all wingers are taught, and there is no outnumbered attack. It has nothing to do with the end of the play and not catching up, it was poor, lazy play that created it. Martinez is counting on Kovalchuk to cover for him, its why he takes that risk in the first place.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad