2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2: Charted Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
During the draft, if a player is traded for a pick used in the current draft, what happens if the player fails a physical several days later? What if the player's old team knew, but did not disclose?
Usually the contracts have clauses for stuff like this but it just doesn't get mentioned. If someone was dumb enough to not include clauses like "must pass physical", they'd likely still attempt to petition the NHL/NHLPA to get involved.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
During the draft, if a player is traded for a pick used in the current draft, what happens if the player fails a physical several days later? What if the player's old team knew, but did not disclose?
They'd probably have to send some other asset as compensation.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
They'd probably have to send some other asset as compensation.
Even if it was a trade in good faith and the trade is invalid, the pick has been taken, or even to move up the draft order, which could well change the rest of the draft, who would decide what the penalty/recompense and what would it be?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Even if it was a trade in good faith and the trade is invalid, the pick has been taken, or even to move up the draft order, which could well change the rest of the draft, who would decide what the penalty/recompense and what would it be?
The league or an arbitrator, if the teams can't figure it out themselves.

Maybe two years ago the Solar Bears actually made a trade for a guy who didn't pass the physical (he was coming off an injury). The injured guy was sent back, and they sent another guy. They were on the hook for somebody.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
IMG_7280.jpg

Posted by Vasilevskiy today, looks like he's training again.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If the cap is flat....or worse....I sure hope there is some flexibility provided by the NHL. Otherwise the roster will have to be changed pretty significantly different next year.

I know there are more important issues, but this is a Lightning board.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Friedman said that the top 4 seeds will play 3 games, 1 game each against the other top seeds so they’re not just sitting around while the others play during the play-in round. He wasn’t sure though if those games would just be exhibitions for the top 4 to use strictly as a warm up or if that would count for something and possibly shake up the top 4 order. That could be the difference between playing NYI/FLA or someone else in the first round

Also, that sucks for Boston. As the top team they would have to play either Toronto or Columbus while the other top 3 teams have a chance to play the 3 worst ranked teams if they could make it to the first round.

Last edited:

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Friedman said that the top 4 seeds will play 3 games, 1 game each against the other top seeds so they’re not just sitting around while the others play during the play-in round. He wasn’t sure though if those games would just be exhibitions for the top 4 to use strictly as a warm up or if that would count for something and possibly shake up the top 4 order. That could be the difference between playing NYI/FLA or someone else in the first round

Also, that sucks for Boston. As the top team they would have to play either Toronto or Columbus while the other top 3 teams have a chance to play the 3 worst ranked teams if they could make it to the first round.
Those exhibition games would be useful

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
What are you going to do when Sergachev and Cirelli sign Offer sheets and we become the suck?

Trade Kucherov, Serge, and Paquette to Montreal for 8th overall, Mete, and future considerations. They are doing us a favour. Dom would agree.

Reactions: Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
What are you going to do when Sergachev and Cirelli sign Offer sheets and we become the suck?

Trade Kucherov, Serge, and Paquette to Montreal for 8th overall, Mete, and future considerations. They are doing us a favour. Dom would agree.

Lol, yeah that one Avs poster and one Habs poster provide some comedy gold on the main boards. McJedi and Toolegit or something, at least they are always good if you need some laughter.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Lol, yeah that one Avs poster and one Habs poster provide some comedy gold on the main boards. McJedi and Toolegit or something, at least they are always good if you need some laughter.
Every NTC and NMC don't want to leave a failing team and every RFA wants to leave a cup contender. Don't you know?

Reactions: Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Every NTC and NMC don't want to leave a failing team and every RFA wants to leave a cup contender. Don't you know?

Now the latest comedian on there is saying how Yzerman bailed, Tampas system was flawed from step 1, grossly overpaid contracts, 3 to 5 major core pieces going, team has peaked and is heading down, man where do they find this legendary material...

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What are the odds that one of your guys does waive his NMC/NTC? Not a clear path out the of issue without it, but hard to say wether its likely or not

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
What are the odds that one of your guys does waive his NMC/NTC? Not a clear path out the of issue without it, but hard to say wether its likely or not

The best scenario would be a cbo, then Tampa is set. If there's not though, then I'd argue chances are best they convince Johnson to waive, then Gourde. Gourde has an extra year before his contract becomes m-ntc, so convincing TJ to allow a trade to a small number of teams where he has control vs risking going to Seattle or one of 20 teams he has to submit a list for could be appealing for him. Both players have also seen their playing time shrink, so getting a fresh start somewhere they could get top 6 minutes again could also be enticing. Not saying it's a shoe in, but there a few ways Brisebois and co. could make it seem moving on from Tampa is in the player's best interest.

On the main board thread, you said that you'd be interested in Killorn or TJ if available. If Tampa couldn't get their 1st back from the Goodrow trade for either, how about a 2nd+Alex True. I'm not extremely familiar with San Jose's young players/prospects, so wanted to see your opinion on this possibility. Thanks again.

Reactions: themelkman

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Johnson might actually want to go to Seattle considering he's from Spokane. He'd probably have a bigger role there, too.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The best scenario would be a cbo, then Tampa is set. If there's not though, then I'd argue chances are best they convince Johnson to waive, then Gourde. Gourde has an extra year before his contract becomes m-ntc, so convincing TJ to allow a trade to a small number of teams where he has control vs risking going to Seattle or one of 20 teams he has to submit a list for could be appealing for him. Both players have also seen their playing time shrink, so getting a fresh start somewhere they could get top 6 minutes again could also be enticing. Not saying it's a shoe in, but there a few ways Brisebois and co. could make it seem moving on from Tampa is in the player's best interest.

On the main board thread, you said that you'd be interested in Killorn or TJ if available. If Tampa couldn't get their 1st back from the Goodrow trade for either, how about a 2nd+Alex True. I'm not extremely familiar with San Jose's young players/prospects, so wanted to see your opinion on this possibility. Thanks again.
I think I’d do that trade. Yeah the first is just too important for the sharks with our already bare prospect pool. We really should only move it if we trade for someone younger than those two. Also I don’t know how much leverage you guys have in trading those guys, so maybe you do end up getting a first from someone

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I wouldn't do Killorn for SJ 2nd + True. It's an early 2nd but Killorn should be worth a 1st and True isn't enough to make up that difference. He's a big kid with decent numbers but not sure how his skating is, might not fit our style well even if we can use some size in the bottom 6. I would also prefer Chmelevski when it comes to SJ prospect forwards. So maybe something like SJ 2020 2nd + Chmelevski + 2021 Pittsburgh 3rd for Killorn?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't do Killorn for SJ 2nd + True. It's an early 2nd but Killorn should be worth a 1st and True isn't enough to make up that difference. He's a big kid with decent numbers but not sure how his skating is, might not fit our style well even if we can use some size in the bottom 6. I would also prefer Chmelevski when it comes to SJ prospect forwards. So maybe something like SJ 2020 2nd + Chmelevski + 2021 Pittsburgh 3rd for Killorn?
Personally I don’t touch that. Our second is almost a first, and Chemelevski is one of our better prospects, so a lot to give up for a guy who’s a 40-50 point guy and 29

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Personally I don’t touch that. Our second is almost a first, and Chemelevski is one of our better prospects, so a lot to give up for a guy who’s a 40-50 point guy and 29

That's fine. I wouldn't touch Killorn for a 2nd + True. We can do better than a 2nd and True is no better than the likes of Volkov or Joseph who we need spots for next year anyway. I would look for a 1st or the best prospect i can find for Killorn.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That's fine. I wouldn't touch Killorn for a 2nd + True. We can do better than a 2nd and True is no better than the likes of Volkov or Joseph who we need spots for next year anyway. I would look for a 1st or the best prospect i can find for Killorn.
Fair enough. You might get that anyways, who knows. Think it all depends what teams he puts on his list. Maybe Cali isn’t even an option because of the taxes

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, it's possible SJS 2nd+True isn't enough for Killorn. I'm not super familiar with True but he does bring size for the bottom 6 and has good #'s at the AHL level. If several teams are interested I could see Tampa getting a late 1st, but an early 2nd+good prospect is also reasonable. Not sure about a 2nd, 3rd and good prospect but I could see a 2nd+Chemelevski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad