2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2: Charted Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What the deuce, just made a nice post about the roster breakdown for next year on the old one. Fine I'll make another one.

Foote(925k) Point(6.75) Kucherov(9.5)
Palat(5.3) Cirelli(3.0) Stamkos(8.5)
Killorn(4.45) Johnson(5.0) Verheaghe(900k)
Volkov(800k) Stephens(800k) Joseph(800k)

Hedman(7.88) Rutta(1.5)
McDonagh(6.75) Cernak(2.0)
Sergachev(4.0) Foote(925k)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

That's 80.58 on a 20 man roster. Trade Paquette + 4th to Ottawa for one of their 2nds, trade Coburn + 6th for 2021 4th. So that leaves Gourde as the only issue. With him we are over the cap unless it goes up a full 5% which takes the cap to over 85.5M. It probably won't go up that much so he needs to go, we could buy him out to save about 2.4 next year but it's a long buyout, so we really have to force him to waive. Teams like NJ and Columbus seem like good fits but neither has a 2nd or 3rd so not sure what we could get back. Detroit could use him but they aren't in a position where he would waive for the same with Ottawa. But I think we can get him to waive and run a bunch of kids in the lower lines to make things work.

Reactions: Todd1a and Hint1k

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
What the deuce, just made a nice post about the roster breakdown for next year on the old one. Fine I'll make another one.

Hedman(7.88) Rutta(1.5)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

That's 80.58 on a 20 man roster. Trade Paquette + 4th to Ottawa for one of their 2nds, trade Coburn + 6th for 2021 4th. So that leaves Gourde as the only issue. With him we are over the cap unless it goes up a full 5% which takes the cap to over 85.5M. It probably won't go up that much so he needs to go, we could buy him out to save about 2.4 next year but it's a long buyout, so we really have to force him to waive. Teams like NJ and Columbus seem like good fits but neither has a 2nd or 3rd so not sure what we could get back. Detroit could use him but they aren't in a position where he would waive for the same with Ottawa. But I think we can get him to waive and run a bunch of kids in the lower lines to make things work.

Gourde has NTC. Coburn has NTC. Killorn will have 16 teams on his list. My guess - Killorn is going to be traded.

Foote(1) Point(6.75) Kucherov(9.5)
Gourde(5.17) Johnson(5.0) Verheaghe (1)
Volkov(1) Stephens(1) Joseph(1)

Hedman(7.88) Sergachev(4.0)
Coburn(1.7) Foote(1)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

Total ~83.4M

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gourde has NTC. Coburn has NTC. Killorn will have 16 teams on his list. My guess - Killorn is going to be traded.

Foote(1) Point(6.75) Kucherov(9.5)
Gourde(5.17) Johnson(5.0) Verheaghe (1)
Volkov(1) Stephens(1) Joseph(1)

Hedman(7.88) Sergachev(4.0)
Coburn(1.7) Foote(1)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

Total ~83.4M

Players with NTC have been traded plenty of times before. Maybe Coburn doesn't waive since he took a cheap deal to stay but I'm sure he still would prefer to be playing regularly for maybe one more contract. He is already being healthy scratched a lot right now and being a long time vet he will want to play. As for Gourde I'm sure he wants to be playing somewhere else besides on the 4th line. He's got a ways to go before he looks for a new deal but he will still want to show what he's capable of throughout, he isn't getting that chance here playing where we have him.

Everyone just throws up the NTC and doesn't consider anything else. These guys want to play and going forward they aren't going to be playing as much as they like because we have others we want to play instead of them. With guys like Johnson and Palat they have to see it too that their time is coming up soon. One will most likely be off to Seattle for the expansion draft. So these guys need to consider making a move earlier to a team of their choice if we can work out a deal. Just saying I have a NTC isn't going to get them the ice time they may want. I think Killorn has a 75% chance of being dealt myself but I would be pressing these other guys real hard about waiving.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not sure I like trading Coburn just to keep Rutta around. We know what we are gonna get with Coburn. On Rutta, I'm glad he's having a good year but that's because Hedman is a living God who can make anyone better. Dude is like the McDavid of defensemen in that regard.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Players with NTC have been traded plenty of times before. Maybe Coburn doesn't waive since he took a cheap deal to stay but I'm sure he still would prefer to be playing regularly for maybe one more contract. He is already being healthy scratched a lot right now and being a long time vet he will want to play. As for Gourde I'm sure he wants to be playing somewhere else besides on the 4th line. He's got a ways to go before he looks for a new deal but he will still want to show what he's capable of throughout, he isn't getting that chance here playing where we have him.

Everyone just throws up the NTC and doesn't consider anything else. These guys want to play and going forward they aren't going to be playing as much as they like because we have others we want to play instead of them. With guys like Johnson and Palat they have to see it too that their time is coming up soon. One will most likely be off to Seattle for the expansion draft. So these guys need to consider making a move earlier to a team of their choice if we can work out a deal. Just saying I have a NTC isn't going to get them the ice time they may want. I think Killorn has a 75% chance of being dealt myself but I would be pressing these other guys real hard about waiving.
Well, a player may agree for a trade
1) to get more money. Not our case. Florida already has no taxes.
2) to get a higher chance to win the Cup. Not our case. Tampa is already considered #1 contender
3) to get more ice-time. It's a case of a young and talented player who can get more points and better future contract. Gourde/Cobrun is not talented and already 28/34.

I don't believe Seattle is going to be a big factor considering how Vegas is doing. I don't think anyone on Tampa roster with NTC would agree for a trade because of it.

Sure GM will talk to our guys, may be someone agrees, but it's not something that can be so easily planned in advance.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Boom. Bruins lose, giving us another game at hand to cash in on. We're solidly in the race to win the Atlantic now. I know it's not worth much, but it's worth home ice vs the Bruins if we meet them, which gives us more leverage on their big line.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Hedman(7.88) Rutta(1.5)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

the money is a little low for sergachev and cirelli it’s probably going to be about a million higher each or another 500 k per year each

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I'd be surprised if more than two of Rutta, Verhaeghe, Gourde, or Volkov are on the team next year. It honestly wouldn't shock me if none of them are. Aside from the hurdle of Gourde's contract, I just don't get the long-term vibe from these players. Nothing against them, just don't see any "locks" for next season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd be surprised if more than two of Rutta, Verhaeghe, Gourde, or Volkov are on the team next year. It honestly wouldn't shock me if none of them are. Aside from the hurdle of Gourde's contract, I just don't get the long-term vibe from these players. Nothing against them, just don't see any "locks" for next season.

None of them? Who would we replace them all with?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
the money is a little low for sergachev and cirelli it’s probably going to be about a million higher each or another 500 k per year each

What do you think they each get? Sergachev I can see asking for more but it won't be more than 5M. That's what Werenski got on a 3 year bridge with similar to better numbers. Cirelli is a lot harder to find a comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad