Prospect Info: 2019-20 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #20

Who is the Flyers #20 SKATER prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Much ado about nothing.

I voted for Millard based on possible upside, but I could have voted for a half dozen players here.

It's reasonable to vote for Ginning based on his size and that big defensemen tend to mature later, in the 20s we're not talking about potential top 9/top 4 unless you're really lucky (like Strome suddenly learns how to skate) - it's not like it's inconceivable that Ginning becomes a solid physical 3rd pair guy with limited offensive skills, like about 20-30 starters around the NHL.

Frankly, I don't really care what they look like at 19, or in the CHL, if they're not uber talents, they're probably not going to be close to NHL ready until they're 22-23 years old. Same reason I would neither count on Morin or write him off, big guys like him mature late, but many never mature at all.

Kalynuk at 22 is running out of time, Attard and Ginning at 20 this season have a couple years to raise their game, especially once they hit the AHL.

NAK's first AHL season: 71g 9-9 18
Twarynski: 69g 10-14 24
Neither could translate goal scoring in the CHL to the AHL their first season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it would be nice, Attard's size and goal scoring, Millman's skating and passing!

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
There have been a lot of specifics given & you’re ignoring them. What it boils down to is you have a difference of opinion than some of us & the Flyers’ scouts.

Also, no one is claiming big=automatically good or that Ginning is going to be some kind of star. Rather, his size, strength & reach *are* defensive advantages, & we also think his hockey sense & skating are substantially better than he’s being given credit for. Which means we think he’ll play in the NHL & have a useful role (PKing, for example, is still an important thing). That’s enough to justify a vote for 20th! best prospect instead of all the haughty scoffing.

We aren’t ranking him 5, or even 9, among a very good crop. We also aren’t hee-hawing at those who rank him above Ronnie Attard, who is a year older & has one good season as an overager in the USHL, vs. Ginning who a year younger has almost logged 90 games in Sweden’s top men’s professional league plus featured significantly in 70 international games for his country.

Brush it off as meaning nothing. But clearly some people see something different.
Attard was not an overager in the USHL last year . He is a 99 born and would still be eligible to play this year as well .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad