Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Gus > Kap

All things being equal, yes. BUT Gus is going to get paid if he puts up another 60 pt season and you'll lose him for nothing next offseason. So you trade a year of Gus at 1.2 for 4 years of Kap at 4ish M assuming you sign him which has to be part of the trade. Kapanen is an elite PKer and a is a one-man zone entry maching. He's a young Frolik with more finish.

Reactions: bwana63

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
All things being equal, yes. BUT Gus is going to get paid if he puts up another 60 pt season and you'll lose him for nothing next offseason. So you trade a year of Gus at 1.2 for 4 years of Kap at 4ish M assuming you sign him which has to be part of the trade. Kapanen is an elite PKer and a is a one-man zone entry maching. He's a young Frolik with more finish.
You're assuming Gus doesn't resign here. I fully expect the Hawks to extend him this offseason at a reasonable rate (around 5m AAV) since such a contract benefits both Gus and the team. Gus gets paid and doesn't have to prove himself again next season, and the Hawks lock him up before he gets too expensive.

Note that I do not expect him to get 60 points again, but I think 45-50 points is very realistic and is easily worth 5m per year.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Maybe someone else besides me didn't know this but Anisimov's no-trade clause is completely gone on July 1 and after the Hawks pay a 2 M bonus, he'll only be paid 5 M for the next 2 seasons. It should not be hard to move that contract. He should be attractive to a team with with plenty of cap space.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
You're assuming Gus doesn't resign here. I fully expect the Hawks to extend him this offseason at a reasonable rate (around 5m AAV) since such a contract benefits both Gus and the team. Gus gets paid and doesn't have to prove himself again next season, and the Hawks lock him up before he gets too expensive.

Note that I do not expect him to get 60 points again, but I think 45-50 points is very realistic and is easily worth 5m per year.

If he gets the same deployment as last season, why do you expect his production to decrease especially since it will start from game 1?

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
If he gets the same deployment as last season, why do you expect his production to decrease especially since it will start from game 1?
I think Gus might regress a bit, plus Jokiharju will almost certainly make the roster and earn top 4 minutes at some point, reducing Gus's workload and therefore opportunity to get points. Mostly it's just me being conservative. Gus got a lot of points on the power play this season and I'm not sure he will replicate that, but I expect to be happy with his performance regardless.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
I think Gus might regress a bit, plus Jokiharju will almost certainly make the roster and earn top 4 minutes at some point, reducing Gus's workload and therefore opportunity to get points. Mostly it's just me being conservative. Gus got a lot of points on the power play this season and I'm not sure he will replicate that, but I expect to be happy with his performance regardless.

I am not a big fan of Gus's game and think that he is an empty-calorie player and the Hawks should sell high but I recognize the fact that with loads of PP1 time and being used with the top lines on seemingly every shift with a lot of O-Zone starts, he is going to rack up a lot of points. This is an offensively-gifted team and Gustafsson is a prime beneficiary of the team success. Last season, he did not start get used in that manner till around New Year's so I think any natural regression can be offset by prime usage from Game 1.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Move Gus at the draft for Tomasino.
i agree but the problem is, at what point do the Bhawks will pick Tomasino ??

i say make a trade for a 1st rounder in the mid teens ...... at that point i like Tomasino or Raphaël Lavoie.....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am not a big fan of Gus's game and think that he is an empty-calorie player and the Hawks should sell high but I recognize the fact that with loads of PP1 time and being used with the top lines on seemingly every shift with a lot of O-Zone starts, he is going to rack up a lot of points. This is an offensively-gifted team and Gustafsson is a prime beneficiary of the team success. Last season, he did not start get used in that manner till around New Year's so I think any natural regression can be offset by prime usage from Game 1.
the problem here i can't see where the Bhawks will approach the off season.

meaning are they going to keep the nucleus to continue to push for not only the playoff or more. i can see them keeping players, trading and drafting for need....... thereby missing on golden opportunities to really improve the team.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
the problem here i can't see where the Bhawks will approach the off season.

meaning are they going to keep the nucleus to continue to push for not only the playoff or more. i can see them keeping players, trading and drafting for need....... thereby missing on golden opportunities to really improve the team.

I think it is really interesting to see what they are going to do. If they take Byram then you gotta think they are not going to sign Gustafsson for long term. I know people keep talking about Byram and Boqvist paired up but I think you split them like they did Reilly and Gardiner in Toronto. Byram/Joker and Boqvist/Beaudin could be a fantastic blue line. And you could still put Byram and Boqvist together if you are down in the 3rd. Getting back to Gus, if they take Byram you wouldn't need Boqvist, Byram, and Gus who all have similar styles. Now if you can sign Gus to a 2-3 year deal then maybe but I wouldn't take that if I were him. Maybe if they overpay like 2 for 12 for the shorter term.

If they take Turcotte then resigning Gus makes more sense. Ultimately, they have to take the BPA and work the pieces around that pick. And getting to your point they could still build for future while not abandoning the present team. I have always proposed trading Gus for a young forward not draft picks. Doing something around Gus for Kapanen would still help this current team. Granted, we would need Joker to take a big step next season.

Reactions: bwana63

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think it is really interesting to see what they are going to do. If they take Byram then you gotta think they are not going to sign Gustafsson for long term. I know people keep talking about Byram and Boqvist paired up but I think you split them like they did Reilly and Gardiner in Toronto. Byram/Joker and Boqvist/Beaudin could be a fantastic blue line. And you could still put Byram and Boqvist together if you are down in the 3rd. Getting back to Gus, if they take Byram you wouldn't need Boqvist, Byram, and Gus who all have similar styles. Now if you can sign Gus to a 2-3 year deal then maybe but I wouldn't take that if I were him. Maybe if they overpay like 2 for 12 for the shorter term.

If they take Turcotte then resigning Gus makes more sense. Ultimately, they have to take the BPA and work the pieces around that pick. And getting to your point they could still build for future while not abandoning the present team. I have always proposed trading Gus for a young forward not draft picks. Doing something around Gus for Kapanen would still help this current team. Granted, we would need Joker to take a big step next season.
the best thing is, this is the best off season in yrs, esp with the news and discussion that is coming from all the opportunities that is available.

however i still maintain and would yell from the highest mountain, select the highest rated #1 d-man in the draft. the gap of them ready to start and them becoming a viable option on this team...... to me it is worth the wait. as long as the team can find a temp player. this will build on the future of this team.

the team FO needs to live on the edge of both worlds, the keeping the team on the cusp of competing and retooling.

Reactions: BHFAN92

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

You would be stupid to not sign Gustavsson long term, he is miles ahead of what Beaudin will likely ever be

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Can you show me the last 50 point UFA dman who signed for $5m per year? Especially one with very limited career earning?

If he would sign for that, Stan will get that deal done as soon as possible (July I think). But I expect that EG is going to want to go to market.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Can you show me the last 50 point UFA dman who signed for $5m per year? Especially one with very limited career earning?

If he would sign for that, Stan will get that deal done as soon as possible (July I think). But I expect that EG is going to want to go to market.

Depends how much he values playing for JC as well. Lets say he takes a 2 year extension at say 4 per, continues to build a resume and hits UFA at 30 with 4 seasons instead of 2, he’s more likely to cash in. Fits Hawks timeline as well.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
You would be stupid to not sign Gustavsson long term, he is miles ahead of what Beaudin will likely ever be

When and for how much? Seems like you want to sign him at all costs. How does it fit in with the cap and resigning Cat and Strome? Does it matter to you that several players would have redundant skillsets especially if they draft Byram? What do you know about Beaudin's upside that the rest of us don't?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
When and for how much? Seems like you want to sign him at all costs. How does it fit in with the cap and resigning Cat and Strome? Does it matter to you that several players would have redundant skillsets especially if they draft Byram? What do you know about Beaudin's upside that the rest of us don't?

Give him a 2 year extension for 4 per. Gives hawks 3 years of control. Brings him to UFA status at 30. Gives Hawks time to develop kids and Gus helps win now. Think they could expose him in expansion draft as well. Win-win for both sides.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Gus would be one more Dman to protect in the expansion draft. For that reason, I think that he is getting traded. If they sign Gus, that leaves them at 4 F and 4 D, so they'd have to leave Saad exposed. He'd only have 1 year left, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I think that there will be lots of changes this offseason. Saad, Gustafsson, Anisimov and Murphy are all trade candidates due to term.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
To me Gus isn’t a guy who you win with in the playoffs, he is too risky because of his D. Many of you will point to Torrey Krug in these playoffs however Krug has actually been solid on D and Gus is much worse. In 2016 he let us down in the playoffs in that series against the blues and I can see it again. Gus in his own zone in OT would give me a heart attack because he will give up and horrible turnover and panic like he does so often

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

I am not a Blackhawks fan but Gustavsson would be worth signing for 5-6 million for a few years even if it means sacrificing Strome. Turcotte should be drafted and help the centre depth

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Gus would be one more Dman to protect in the expansion draft. For that reason, I think that he is getting traded. If they sign Gus, that leaves them at 4 F and 4 D, so they'd have to leave Saad exposed. He'd only have 1 year left, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I think that there will be lots of changes this offseason. Saad, Gustafsson, Anisimov and Murphy are all trade candidates due to term.

Couldnt they expose Gus as long as he doesn’t get a NMC which he has no business getting on his next deal anyway

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If Gustafsson has another 60 point season (or close to it) then he will get $6M on his next contract, if not more. Can the Hawks afford that with the other players they need to re-sign going into the 2020/21 season? If you think they can afford Gustafsson at $6M – then you have a solid case for not trading him. I don’t think they can nor should pay Gustafsson $6M, especially when they still have Seabrook’s $6.8M on the books for him to play inconsistent and sometimes downright lousy defense.

If Gustafsson doesn’t score as well next season as he did last season, then what do you have? You have a guy that isn’t good defensively that you could have sold high on but now you can’t give him away and he walks away a UFA at the end of the season.

This is all predicated on the idea that the Hawks will not be legitimate Cup contenders in 2019/20 – so therefore having Gus versus not having Gus isn’t going to be the difference between being a legit Cup contender and not being a legit Cup contender. Making the playoffs in 2019/20 is important and I think the Hawks have a good shot to do so, and I admit Gus enhances the probability to make the 2019/20 playoffs. BUT – the mission should be to win the Cup and I don’t believe losing Gus to UFA after the 2019/20 season or paying him $6M to stay beyond 2019/20 helps with accomplishing the mission.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
A realistic scenario is that the Hawks trade Gustafsson at the draft for a mid to late first plus a fouth or mid tier prospect. Hard to imagine keeping him long term if Byram is drafted, a bit more likely if Turcotte is drafted. The risk of losing him to cost is very possible. And I agree, it’s unlikely any one of our current defensive prospects not named Boqvist ever scores that much in one season in his career that Gus just did.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A realistic scenario is that the Hawks trade Gustafsson at the draft for a mid to late first plus a fouth or mid tier prospect. Hard to imagine keeping him long term if Byram is drafted, a bit more likely if Turcotte is drafted. The risk of losing him to cost is very possible. And I agree, it’s unlikely any one of our current defensive prospects not named Boqvist ever scores that much in one season in his career that Gus just did.

Getting a mid or late 1st is enough

Asking for more on top of that potentially pushes teams away and kills market for Gus

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
i agree but the problem is, at what point do the Bhawks will pick Tomasino ??

i say make a trade for a 1st rounder in the mid teens ...... at that point i like Tomasino or Raphaël Lavoie.....
I think once you get to 15, a case can be made for Tomasino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad