Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 4 - To Eberle or Not to Eberle - that is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Keith would be such a great addition to the Leafs. He really could win a Norris there next year and lead the Leafs to a Cup IMO. I hope the Hawks explore a trade for one of their forwards involving Keith. I wouldn’t mind keeping him, but it would be fun to see what he could do there and help us get a good young NHL player.
Keith in any other NHL jersey would make me vomit. He'll die retire a Hawk.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If by noticeable you meant constantly being out of position and looking lost in both ends of ice , Then yeah that is Nylander

Shocking that you are arguing watching the game considering you look at stats to prove a point (which is much more your forte).

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nylander stats don't support your argument anymore then my eyes

He was far from a playoff performer and his past season in Toronto was a complete disaster given costs , etc

I would take him and his contract only if price was reasonable. Any package that involves Boqvist , Joker , Beaudin and 1st round picks is non starter

Let someone else take Nylander who is and always has been overrated on HF

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Montreal traded their first round pick for Gus, who would you select with the Hawks two first round picks?

Hawks pick at #3 = Byram

Habs pick

Depending on if they are available

RW Cole Caufield
LW Arthur Kaliyev
C Ryan Suzuki
C Alex Newhook

In that order though I suspect Caufield will go top 10 and and at least one other on list will be gone at time Hawks pick

Every draft has faller (Like Teuvo for instance) so if someone like Vasili Podkolzin drops then you grab him

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Hawks pick at #3 = Byram

Habs pick

Depending on if they are available

RW Cole Caufield
LW Arthur Kaliyev
C Ryan Suzuki
C Alex Newhook

In that order though I suspect Caufield will go top 10 and and at least one other on list will be gone at time Hawks pick

Every draft has faller (Like Teuvo for instance) so if someone like Vasili Podkolzin drops then you grab him
Not second guessing you, just looking for opinion - why wouldn’t you take Turcotte with the Hawk’s first pick, and Broberg or Seider with the Hab’s pick?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Byram has far higher upside then Broberg and Seider IMO and is likely to be in NHL sooner. Also with Seider he is not a guy I would draft at #15 as he is someone who IMO should be a picked somewhere in late 1st round not and he is another RHD

With Keith turning 36 and our lack of top flight LHD getting Byram would be great get. And with Toews (31) and Strome (22) I don't see top 6 C as big a need for organization going forward at this point

Passing up Bryam would be mistake IMO. He has everything you desire for a modern #1

Also if Hawks did take Turcotte at #3 its very possible both Broberg and York (I like York much better then Seider) could be gone by #15 as we have seen in past runs on D. Look at last years draft when Hughes was picked and then several defenders went in next few picks. Hughes , Boqvist , Bouchard and Dobson all went in a 6 pick span

Same thing happened during 2017 draft when there was a run on defenders

Foote (#14)
Brannstrom (#15)
Valimaki (#16)
Lilegren (#17)
Vaakanainen (#18)

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Byram has far higher upside then Broberg and Seider IMO and is likely to be in NHL sooner. Also with Seider he is not a guy I would draft at #15 as he is someone who IMO should be a picked somewhere in late 1st round not and he is another RHD

With Keith turning 36 and our lack of top flight LHD getting Byram would be great get. And with Toews (31) and Strome (22) I don't see top 6 C as big a need for organization going forward at this point

Passing up Bryam would be mistake IMO. He has everything you desire for a modern #1

Also if Hawks did take Turcotte at #3 its very possible both Broberg and York (I like York much better then Seider) could be gone by #15 as we have seen in past runs on D. Look at last years draft when Hughes was picked and then several defenders went in next few picks. Hughes , Boqvist , Bouchard and Dobson all went in a 6 pick span

Same thing happened during 2017 draft when there was a run on defenders

Foote (#14)
Brannstrom (#15)
Valimaki (#16)
Lilegren (#17)
Vaakanainen (#18)
Your suggestion about trading for the Habs pick is very interesting, because I would prefer the Hawks develop through the draft. So I have a few more questions.

Do you think with Gus the habs are a playoff team? Bergevin has caught a lot of heat for his trades, but there the Habs were this year, just missing the playoffs. Does Gus move the needle for them, or is he a net zero - helping in some areas, hurting in others?

If the Habs wanted more than Gus to do the trade, how far would you go? Kahun? Sikura? Someone else not named Hayden?

If the trade did come off, who among the consensus 6 - 10 picks would you be hoping to fall into your lap? For example, Dach, Zegras, Krebs, Cozens or somebody else?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
In a vacuum where team needs/composition, salary cap, role, etc. doesn't matter...yes Nylander is the better player and the guy you take given the choice between he and Kapanen if you are starting a team from scratch and have a choice of one of those two players. Nylander likely has better health and his shooting percentage probably rebounds back to norm and he is a 20-25 goal 60 point guy that plays center.

In the real Blackhawk world where Toews and Strome (unless you think last year was a mirage) seem to be penciled in as your top 2 centers going forward and you still have Anismov on the roster, the Hawks don't need a 7 million a year center. The Hawks need a right handed RW who is defensively responsible, kills penalties, has some grit that they can plug with DCat/Strome and Kapanen is a ridiculously good fit. Kapanen is not some huge physical presence, but with a lineup that has Kane, DCat, Kahun, maybe Sikura, Strome (who better be having a great offseason in the gym), and even Anisimov (despite his stature is a pretty nonphysical) he would add some grit. Hell, Kapanen's 92 hits would have had him 2nd among Hawk forwards last season. Kapanen at 3.5-4 million is a way better fit then Nylander at 7 when DCat and Stromme are likely sniffing that rate and adding to a pretty bloated forward group that already has 10.5, 10.5, 6, & 4.5 committed to 4 guys.

Reactions: bwana63

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kubalik - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Marner
Saad - Kahun - Sikura
Caggiula - Kampf - Highmore
Wedin

Keith - Jokiharju
Byram - Murphy
Gustafsson - Seabrook

Let this happen bros!

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
At this point I think it is bad asset management to keep Gus.

I have been saying this for a while. Either sign him to a 3-year deal in the 4-5 million range (unlikely he signs for that IMO) and draft Turcotte OR draft Byram and trade Gus for the best asset available. Assuming comparable usage as last year, he is going to ut up 55+ pts and price himself out of Chicago.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I like Gus more than some of his detractors but his value is tough to nail down. If we got a top twenty pick for him I’d run to the podium screaming knowing we might be trading a late blooming offensive stud.

The craziest thing about him is that as great as his point shot is he defers too much and played opposite a truly elite triggerman I think he’d be even more valuable. Kane is a lot of things. Prolific point scorer isn’t one of them.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
I anticipate the Hawks resigning Gus to a 5m AAV deal in the 5-6 year range (they like him a lot and he will want financial security after making peanuts during his career so far) and then protecting him, Keith, and Jokiharju in the expansion draft if nothing major changes. They're not just going to trade away one of their best defensemen until the kids are ready regardless if they take Byram, and as far as the expansion draft goes it makes the most sense to expose (or trade) Murphy because at that point he will only have 1 year left on his contract, so letting him go is smart asset management. This is of course assuming Seabrook's NMC isn't a problem in 2 years, one way or another, which I think is a reasonable assumption.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad