2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Welcome Brother Dekker, House Lightning embraces your stronk beliefs in the Charts. Our sermons are non contextual but powerfully strong. Let us clasp our hands and rejoice in prayer to the Holy Charts.
The main difference between the both of us, Sir, is that I've haven't missed a Lightning game since 2014. Not a single one. So the few times I use the advanced stats, do not ever believe I'd ever think advancing any for/against Cooper agenda. It's, as far as I can objectively control, backed by eye-test.
Truly yours, Brother Dekker.

EDIT : Forgive me whether your post was sarcastic. I'm just a sensitive weirdo ;)

Last edited:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
So, let's cut the crap. Since december, 1st (9 games played) the Lighting sits at 5v5 in :
1st in CF% (+ 6% above #2)
1st in SF% (+3% above #2)
1st in xGF%(+4% above #2)
1st in SCF%(+5% above #2)
1st in HDCF%(+1% above #2)

Most of #2 are different teams.

The question will ever remain until playoffs time is coming (IF WE MAKE IT) whether Cooper is the right coach to gain the Big Prize. That being said, these last 9 games might be the most dominant possession Tampa team I've seen in the Coop era so far. The problem ATM, and we all know it, is goaltending, to not name him.

Sidenote : Sergachev is becoming a #1 right before our eyes IMO

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
So, let's cut the crap. Since december, 1st (9 games played) the Lighting sits at 5v5 in :

The question will ever remain until playoffs time is coming (IF WE MAKE IT) whether Cooper is the right coach to gain the Big Prize. That being said, these last 9 games might be the most dominant possession Tampa team I've seen in the Coop era so far. The problem ATM, and we all know it, is goaltending, to not name him.

Agreed

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Lines up with what we've been seeing. We've been dominant in both wins and losses. We haven't cashed in on as many scoring chances as we have in the past, but we've been scoring enough that it shouldn't be a problem. We shouldn't have to score 4 goals every game to have a chance.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Lines up with what we've been seeing. We've been dominant in both wins and losses. We haven't cashed in on as many scoring chances as we have in the past, but we've been scoring enough that it shouldn't be a problem. We shouldn't have to score 4 goals every game to have a chance.

There's a 5v5 aggressiveness in the offensive zone I've not seen so far. It's a small sample size, but I truly hope Cooper might have finally understood that his "safe is best" bullsht just doesn't work here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's a 5v5 aggressiveness in the offensive zone I've not seen so far. It's a small sample size, but I truly hope Cooper might have finally understood that his "safe is best" bullsht just doesn't work here.

Even so, it seems like we're getting the best of both worlds right now. It's not realistic to expect us, or any team, to give up just a couple of good scoring chances on any given night, especially not while generating any kind of offense. But we've been keeping those chances pretty low. It's just every high quality chance is beating Vasy at the moment, or at least most of them. Meanwhile, our own high quality chances are getting turned away a little more often than we're used to, and Vasy is getting outplayed regularly by his opposing goalie. Our team is good enough to make the playoffs despite the handicap, but that's really the reason why we're not up with the Bruins at the top of the standings. We're not getting the saves our opponents are getting.

Richard Cranium

Aug 17, 2019
Not that it will happen, but what if Cooper gets fired soon and then they go on to win the Cup this year; does he still get his name on it??

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
giphy.gif

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
When was the last time JBB had a press conference or was seen talking about the state of the team? Seems likes it been a LONG ass time since we've heard from him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
When was the last time JBB had a press conference or was seen talking about the state of the team? Seems likes it been a LONG ass time since we've heard from him.

Usually he does 3 start of training camp and all star break is the second then the final one after the season.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Then he can answer for why this insane roster never won a cup, and why he kept Cooper on with the window closing. That happens, he should be fired too.

That’s what might happen! But is brisebois willing to admit that he made a mistake by signing cooper to the extension by firing him not even one year into his new contract?

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
That’s what might happen! But is brisebois willing to admit that he made a mistake by signing cooper to the extension by firing him not even one year into his new contract?

I'm starting to dislike JBB as much as I do Cooper. I think this all boils down to ego, JBB doesn't want to make a move that confirms he was wrong. So, he basically stands around and does nothing while the most talented roster in the league, and one of the most talented rosters ever, crashes and burns.

It seems a bit too soon, maybe, but I'm strongly leaning towards thinking JBB just doesn't have a damn clue what he's doing and completely lacks the ability to accurately evaluate a roster.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm starting to dislike JBB as much as I do Cooper. I think this all boils down to ego, JBB doesn't want to make a move that confirms he was wrong. So, he basically stands around and does nothing while the most talented roster in the league, and one of the most talented rosters ever, crashes and burns.

It seems a bit too soon, maybe, but I'm strongly leaning towards thinking JBB just doesn't have a damn clue what he's doing and completely lacks the ability to accurately evaluate a roster.

Yep I think it does boil down to ego and he flat out refuses to fire cooper because of it.

Reactions: ultra63

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think we will have players leaving after game monday and walk out for holiday and evaluation on tuesday...

I personally think JBB will do his job and figure out the glaring question....

has the team (vets tuned him out) thing is 7 years is a long time is a reason why coaches dont last this long.... Doesnt mean he is bad coach just means his MESSAGE whatever that is.... is no longer getting through....

i think this will be a 50/50 thing at this point

4 teams in 10 years won the cup firing a coach at this point in season....

2 of those coaches won coach of year the year before..... hockey is a sport that has the quickest finger on firing coaches is like 38 in 10 years i think by this time frame of year...... is 30 and less in other 3 major sports !!!!!

I do feel JBB does his job and does and eval.....

I personally feel the message is not getting through especially to vets anymore.....

We will see if JBB does the right thing IMHO if he doesnt he makes himself exposable in this scenario so why would you do that???

id love to bring in adam oates or even chris chelios as assistant coaches and new people that players should respect for winning cups legacy etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad