Moore/Clifton/Vaakanainen

Leaves about 2.7 in cap space

What "picks" is Heinen dealt for?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What "picks" is Heinen dealt for?

So...on armchair, I couldn’t find a way to input the return when you trade the rights of a player.

I’d hope for a 2 or 3 but the main point for me is upgrading with Athanasiou, who I feel would solidify the top 6, giving DK and JDB a guy who can open things up with his speed.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
krug will turn 29 before his next contract starts... can you name a single undersized offensive dman that didnt see his production levels drop in half between age 29 and 33?

theres been a couple undersized dmen like brian ralfalski and the guy that was just finishing up in Winnipeg last year who were good enough defensively that their teams were still playing them at 33-34 years of age... but most guys are finished by this time

I dont think krug has the defensive skill to be useful if his point totals drop in half... and if his new contract calls for a raise its going to be tough. my plan would be to offer him more money on a shorter term. im not sure how he and his agent will want to proceed.

Fair enough.

It’s all speculation based on our likes/dislikes/experiences, etc.

Maybe there’s a pull for Krug to go home long term and he’d take less $$ for more years in Detroit than he might elsewhere.

Maybe I’m entirely wrong.

Playing fantasy GM is fun, but futile, especially when you throw your thoughts and opinions out there for hundreds to see, when they all have different thoughts and opinions.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So...on armchair, I couldn’t find a way to input the return when you trade the rights of a player.

I’d hope for a 2 or 3 but the main point for me is upgrading with Athanasiou, who I feel would solidify the top 6, giving DK and JDB a guy who can open things up with his speed.

You can sometimes write in your return. I remember doing that when I would mess around with the ACGM.

Reactions: sarge88

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Nope, bad over payment for a third line defensive winger. If he is as great as some on here feel we should be able to add a quality piece trading him.

A third line defensive winger who has averaged .50 points per game over his career and you don’t want to pay him $3m? What a world

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Fair enough.

It’s all speculation based on our likes/dislikes/experiences, etc.

Maybe there’s a pull for Krug to go home long term and he’d take less $$ for more years in Detroit than he might elsewhere.

Maybe I’m entirely wrong.

Playing fantasy GM is fun, but futile, especially when you throw your thoughts and opinions out there for hundreds to see, when they all have different thoughts and opinions.

in 40 some years I never once predicted a trade man for man exactly as it went down... but I still get fun all these 40 years later playing at home gm.

mike green will turn 34 this year and is in the last year of his current 2 year deal in Detroit. he hasnt had more than 36 points in season any of his 4 years in Detroit but they are still paying him 6 mill anyhow

green had more than 40 points in a season once since he was 25... and they still are paying him anyhow

I think the redwings have an appetite to pay an offensively gifted dman that is shakey at playing defense... and krug has been much much better than green over the past 8-9 years. greens deal expires after next year... krug can step right in for them.

but are they going to trade for him now? they arent a playoff team now... they are very cap challanged… and they got green still

I think you are looking at a bigger trade then krug for one of their forwards.

the other worry is anathisiou just had a 30 goal campaign and will be a rfa after this season. I definitely want him, but he will cost. 30 goal guys ask for 5 mill and above on their contracts.

maybe Detroit bites on something like

green
anathisiou

for
krug
Heinen
and a prospect like blidh or someone of that ilk that is on the cusp of playing...

Detroit gambles on the risky prospect of extending krug but has a couple down side guarantees that can help them a bit with their rebuild.

we end up short term with a lesser pp qb to replace krug as we hope one of the kids like McAvoy or grezlyck can up their game in that department

for next year the deal is probably revenue neutral for us... and then moving forward if we can replace krug with one of the cheap kids it probably helps us with our cap.

Reactions: sarge88

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
in 40 some years I never once predicted a trade man for man exactly as it went down... but I still get fun all these 40 years later playing at home gm.

mike green will turn 34 this year and is in the last year of his current 2 year deal in Detroit. he hasnt had more than 36 points in season any of his 4 years in Detroit but they are still paying him 6 mill anyhow

green had more than 40 points in a season once since he was 25... and they still are paying him anyhow

I think the redwings have an appetite to pay an offensively gifted dman that is shakey at playing defense... and krug has been much much better than green over the past 8-9 years. greens deal expires after next year... krug can step right in for them.

but are they going to trade for him now? they arent a playoff team now... they are very cap challanged… and they got green still

I think you are looking at a bigger trade then krug for one of their forwards.

the other worry is anathisiou just had a 30 goal campaign and will be a rfa after this season. I definitely want him, but he will cost. 30 goal guys ask for 5 mill and above on their contracts.

maybe Detroit bites on something like

green
anathisiou

for
krug
Heinen
and a prospect like blidh or someone of that ilk that is on the cusp of playing...

Detroit gambles on the risky prospect of extending krug but has a couple down side guarantees that can help them a bit with their rebuild.

we end up short term with a lesser pp qb to replace krug as we hope one of the kids like McAvoy or grezlyck can up their game in that department

for next year the deal is probably revenue neutral for us... and then moving forward if we can replace krug with one of the cheap kids it probably helps us with our cap.

Not bad. However, with Green being Rhd, you're surely not paying him 6 mill to play on the bottom pairing with Mac & Carlo on the top 4. Unless of course, you play Green on his off side??

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Anyone who has paid any attention know that Bruins power play is one of the primary weapons of the team. Bruins aren't going to Stanley Cup final without Krug. I think I'd get a suspension if I shared here what I think of trading him for Mike Green.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
krug for athanasiou is a deal I have toyed with myself... usually I feel we would have to sweeten it but we have sweetners. Detroit has enjoyed having green there. I think they wont mind having krug there. I like that idea

miller to California also makes sense to me... asking a second seems ambitious but the pick isnt really that important. get whatever you can. maybe throw in a warm body to make the pick better? we got lots of warm bodies

Heinen out... basically for athanasiou in... it feels like an upgrade to me... I can get behind that.

keep backes 1 more year... hes easier to trade next season... keep moore so we can expose him in expansion draft... you havent mentioned Bjork but if hes healthy hes going to win a spot out of camp like he did the last couple years. im very ok with lauzon as the 8th dman on the depth chart...

all in all I like your gameplan here. I tend to think we wont trade krug so I dont see your plan happening, but I like it. I could easily get behind it

Except, it wouldn’t be AA for Heinen.

It would be AA for Heinen...and Krug, which is most certainly NOT an upgrade.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

A 2nd or 3rd? Surprised it wasn’t for a bag of pucks.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Anyone who has paid any attention know that Bruins power play is one of the primary weapons of the team. Bruins aren't going to Stanley Cup final without Krug. I think I'd get a suspension if I shared here what I think of trading him for Mike Green.

Exactly.

Let’s trade 60 pt 28 year old Krug for 33/34 year old 30 pt Mike Green. Oh and why we are at it, let’s pay Green more money than we paid Krug.

My eyes are bleeding right now looking at some of these trade suggestions.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not bad. However, with Green being Rhd, you're surely not paying him 6 mill to play on the bottom pairing with Mac & Carlo on the top 4. Unless of course, you play Green on his off side??

I think you are mostly paying green to play pp... mac and carlo are going to want 45 min of game time... if 5 mins more are pp time you have green taking very occasional shifts at 5 on 5.

the lefty shooters figure to be chara he wants close to 20... grez and moore dont really handle 20 but when you figure we go with only 1 dman on the PP usually it could almost work out.

obviously you wouldnt want to pay green 6 mill but its for 1 year only... kind of like a playoff rental we rent at the beginning of the year.

in this plan Clifton gets the short end of the stick... moving to the 7 hole.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Except, it wouldn’t be AA for Heinen.

It would be AA for Heinen...and Krug, which is most certainly NOT an upgrade.

well... if you read what I wrote the concern I have is getting stuck giving 29 year old krug a 5+ year contract. my trade idea isnt krug for anyone... its 1 year of krug being added to Heinen to bring back athisiou {maybe I can learn to spell his name if hes here}

basically we have vaakaninen and lauzon who I have faith in to inherit krug and chara's spots. im bringing green back because Detroit has cap issues and we should get a pp QB for a year if we are giving one up. basically a 1 year rental

trades have to take into account both team's needs which include cap management and overall game plan.

I made several posts here that say I believe krug will stay... but im hoping he will agree to a contract we can deal with when I say that. my trade idea is based on us being forced to make a trade because krug and his agent might ask for term.

rather than crap on someone elses trade idea, I always wonder why some of you dont hypothesis your own as a better solution. I know the idea of trading Heinen makes you hurt so I wont blame you for not liking any proposal with him in it. I have theorized I could propose heinen and a 7th round pick for connon McDavid and a first round pick and chances are you wouldnt like it

maybe ill try that this summer and put my theory to the test

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Saw something on Twitter today pertaining to the offseason. There is a site than takes all the salary info from CapFriendly and point production and tries to project what FA’s will get this summer.

Interesting stuff:

I cant see many logic problems here based on comparables… but theres always special circumstances that allow surprises to happen. most surprises are never less than expected.

I think a couple contracts in the list are going to be much higher.

all in all though, whoever did this list is usually much the same methodology I have been using the past few years and I estimate my accuracy around 90%. I would guess this list will wind up around 90% accurate too. it might scare some people... but its where the league is headed

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Trading Krug for Athanasiou?

Nope. This thread is ridiculous. Heinen for picks and we keep Backes? Ew.

First....who is taking Backes?

If you want to suggest trading him and keeping Heinen...fine. But IMO we’d need to add to any deal just to move him at his age and contract. And that makes the top 9 very soft. No problem if it’s him instead of Heinen, as long as the price to move Backes isn’t too much.

Second, the Krug for AA (a 30 goal scorer on a crap team, BTW) and Heinen for picks trades were suggested in order to allow the Bruins to resign Johansson.

People can crap on the idea all day long, but I find it funny how soon people forget how weak the forward group was prior to the Coyle and Johansson additions, even with Teflon Dan and his amazing CORSI and whopping 13 points between October and January.

In the end which lineup is better?

With Krug and Heinen:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Backes
????? - Coyle - Heinen
Blidh/Kuraly/Nordstrom/ Wagner

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Moore, Grizz, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon

Or
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Athanasiou
Johansson - Coyle - Backes
Fourth Line

Chara - McAvoy
Grizz - Carlo
Moore, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon

IMO the lineup without Johansson looks a lot more concerning than the one without Krug. Especially when you consider the quality of prospects at each position.

I think that there’s a much better chance that Vaakanainen or Lauzon (espy. Vaakanainen) become legit difference makers on defense to replace Krug than the forwards do in replacing Johansson.

Bash away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon Eric

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Saw something on Twitter today pertaining to the offseason. There is a site than takes all the salary info from CapFriendly and point production and tries to project what FA’s will get this summer.

Interesting stuff:

Where did you get this from. For some reason my phone won’t let me scroll down and I’d like to see it

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We have a week off what else are we supposed to do?

Lol fair.

I do think what happens next series will effect what they do. I think if they win, that Sweeney will more wiggle room to maybe move some guys with an eye towards the future. Without knowing that hard to have the tough conversations about guys like Krug. Or crap, if they win maybe Backes takes his July 1st bonus and retires. Just hard to really have any realistic conversation without that info.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lol fair.

I do think what happens next series will effect what they do. I think if they win, that Sweeney will more wiggle room to maybe move some guys with an eye towards the future. Without knowing that hard to have the tough conversations about guys like Krug. Or crap, if they win maybe Backes takes his July 1st bonus and retires. Just hard to really have any realistic conversation without that info.

Still a good time killer during this down time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ideal offseason with capfriendlys estimate of $83 cap giving the bruins $15.778m in space.

Outgoing contracts:

- Trade Kevan Miller for a 3rd round pick, frees up $2.5m towards the cap
- Trade Backes and attach a 2nd round pick in a salary dump, frees up $6m

New cap space after trades: $24.778m

RFA/UFA’s retained:

-sign McAvoy 6y/$36m ($6m AAV)
- sign Carlo 4y/$ 19.6m (4.9 AAV)
-sign heinen 4yr/$12.5m (3.125 AAV)
- sign Johansson 3y/$13.5m (4.5 AAV)

New cap space: $6.25m

Free Agent signings:

- sign Michael Ferlund 4y/$17m (4.25 AAV)

New cap space: $2.03m

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-Johansson
Ferlund- coyle-heinen
Wagner-kuraly-Nordstrom/acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton

Rask
Halak

Ad

Upcoming events