Salary Cap: 2019-20 cap discussion {rfa comp has been established}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
a lot of you couldnt care less about cap talk... some of you do. we got a few rfa coming up for new deals. I hope we can have some fun in this thread and those who dont care about it dont need to worry. just ignore the thread. we can get things started with the rfa comp. its 4.227 mill for a second round pick. anyone think brandon carlo's agent will be asking for below 4 mill on a longterm deal? is Heinen worth a second round pick to anyone else to offer sheet him at 3 mill? McAvoy for a 1st/2nd/3rd seems a bargain. will anyone want to offer him 8 mill? I will give more opinions later, right now all we have is questions and we are in the 3rd round of the playoffs. these numbers are giving me some pause for consideration though

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716: 3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Over
$10,568,590+: 4 1sts

Reactions: sarge88

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
cap friendly is counting 20 contracts for us next year and a buyout for Seidenberg... they have us at 69.5 mill.

guys that need new contracts include
marcus Johansson, noel accairi, and seven kampfer who are ufa
Charlie McAvoy, dandon Heinen, brandon carlo who are rfa

if we sign McAvoy and carlo we would have 8 dman signed... it seems to suggest we could move one. we have vaakanainen and lauzon on elc contracts for depth so someone like kevan miller could easily be moved for some cap relief

we have 12 forwards signed {one is Oscar steen who isnt likely to make the team} so if we sign Heinen we still need 2 additional depth forwards. I suppose accari might be one... but with federic/karlsson/and even studnicka now in the system it doesnt seem wise to bring accari back if hes going to cost more then a minimum salary or require more than a 1 year deal

I would guess someone like Bjork would replace steen on the roster at around the same cap hit

if we have 69.5 mill committed and we subtract 2.5 for kevan miller after hes traded and the new cap could be 82 mill or more then we have around 15 mill to get our 3 ufa signed and add a couple depth forwards

if its 6 for McAvoy/4 for carlo/3 for Heinen and a bit under 2 for the depth forwards we are fine

if McAvoy jumps to 8 we better hope the cap is higher than 82. personally I doubt carlo or Heinen have much room to jump but McAvoy is a wildcard imo

I cant see Johansson coming back unless we are moving someone like backes/krug and clearing significant space

people who want a proven top 6 forward... I say show me the money

the smart bet is the team will prioritize getting McAvoy/carlo signed. once we know their numbers the rest of the jigsaw puzzle will make more sense.

for fans of kids... it looks like we are probably needing to dress kuhlman/Bjork/at least 1 other kid forward on an elc… and Clifton... so we should be getting quite a lot of new blood as regulars. I might have the wrong guys named here, but there are jobs at camp to be won due to budget constraints.

the expansion draft is looming for seattle so we dont want to trade away every draft exposure eligible dman in the meantime. im not sure we should be exposing one of grez/krug. probably we will need to trade one... but we will have to expose someone. keeping moore for the purpose of having someone to expose probably makes sense

keep krug/grez until one of vaakanainen/lauzon makes someone expendable {keep in mind chara wont play forever}

my guess as to who the core dmen will be going forward... McAvoy/carlo/krug as the vets and then Clifton/vaakanainen/lauzon as the kids so I would expect miller to be moved as soon as this offseason and then grezlyck before the expansion draft

krug is a scary guy to offer a long term deal to. at his age he probably cant be worth a 5-6 year deal. so... its interesting to see what might happen with him

all-in-all I say our cap is in pretty good shape. we got a cup caliber team and should be able to keep the core of it together for at least a couple years

Domenic Pazzia

Mar 30, 2019
cap friendly is counting 20 contracts for us next year and a buyout for Seidenberg... they have us at 69.5 mill.

guys that need new contracts include
marcus Johansson, noel accairi, and seven kampfer who are ufa
Charlie McAvoy, dandon Heinen, brandon carlo who are rfa

if we sign McAvoy and carlo we would have 8 dman signed... it seems to suggest we could move one. we have vaakanainen and lauzon on elc contracts for depth so someone like kevan miller could easily be moved for some cap relief

we have 12 forwards signed {one is Oscar steen who isnt likely to make the team} so if we sign Heinen we still need 2 additional depth forwards. I suppose accari might be one... but with federic/karlsson/and even studnicka now in the system it doesnt seem wise to bring accari back if hes going to cost more then a minimum salary or require more than a 1 year deal

I would guess someone like Bjork would replace steen on the roster at around the same cap hit

if we have 69.5 mill committed and we subtract 2.5 for kevan miller after hes traded and the new cap could be 82 mill or more then we have around 15 mill to get our 3 ufa signed and add a couple depth forwards

if its 6 for McAvoy/4 for carlo/3 for Heinen and a bit under 2 for the depth forwards we are fine

if McAvoy jumps to 8 we better hope the cap is higher than 82. personally I doubt carlo or Heinen have much room to jump but McAvoy is a wildcard imo

I cant see Johansson coming back unless we are moving someone like backes/krug and clearing significant space

people who want a proven top 6 forward... I say show me the money

the smart bet is the team will prioritize getting McAvoy/carlo signed. once we know their numbers the rest of the jigsaw puzzle will make more sense.

for fans of kids... it looks like we are probably needing to dress kuhlman/Bjork/at least 1 other kid forward on an elc… and Clifton... so we should be getting quite a lot of new blood as regulars. I might have the wrong guys named here, but there are jobs at camp to be won due to budget constraints.

the expansion draft is looming for seattle so we dont want to trade away every draft exposure eligible dman in the meantime. im not sure we should be exposing one of grez/krug. probably we will need to trade one... but we will have to expose someone. keeping moore for the purpose of having someone to expose probably makes sense

keep krug/grez until one of vaakanainen/lauzon makes someone expendable {keep in mind chara wont play forever}

my guess as to who the core dmen will be going forward... McAvoy/carlo/krug as the vets and then Clifton/vaakanainen/lauzon as the kids so I would expect miller to be moved as soon as this offseason and then grezlyck before the expansion draft

krug is a scary guy to offer a long term deal to. at his age he probably cant be worth a 5-6 year deal. so... its interesting to see what might happen with him

all-in-all I say our cap is in pretty good shape. we got a cup caliber team and should be able to keep the core of it together for at least a couple years

How do we feel about moving Krug for a top 6 forward? Or someone that has potenital to crack top 6 to play with Debrusk and Krejci ? We seem to have some young guys that can come up and play for cheaper.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The depth is on D, they also have guys like JFK, Cehlarik, and other prospects who can be packaged to move for a top 6 RW or package with Backes to move his contract. I love David Backes and would be hesitant to just move him in a salary dump but you have to see who ro what is available.
Assuming McAvoy takes a bridge deal of 2/3 years at 6 or 7m a year and Carlo at 3 or 4m for 3 years they are in a good position to add a top 2 RW. There are no prospects with top 6 potential (maybe Studnicka) and none ready to take the 2RW spot.

Frederic may be ready to be the 4th line center but I wouldn't mind him playing another full season in Providence

Package some of the depth prospects who may still have value and go get a Krejci a rw for a whole season. They should have the money to do so, if not, as much as I like Krug, package him for a well above average RW that needs a puck moving D. I haven't looked at rosters or players who will be UFS/RFA after next season so I do not have a player off the top of my head at the moment that fits that mold but do think Krug is very underrated on this board and could add a high quality forward.

Please do not count on prospects again to fill glaring needs on this team.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How do we feel about moving Krug for a top 6 forward? Or someone that has potenital to crack top 6 to play with Debrusk and Krejci ? We seem to have some young guys that can come up and play for cheaper.

come and play? sure

come close to replacing Krug? hell no

I think we see Miller, Moore and possibly Gryz moved from the D.

for forwards, I can see Backes being off the books, especially if they win it all. Can see him retiring into the sunset since he isnt leaving big money on the table

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wish I could be a fly on the wall or someones best friend and get some inside info... its easy for us at home to think we know more than we do, but theres always a possibility we dont know and might never know.

will a guy like krug actually sign a contract that we will feel ok offering? talent wise most of us know what we are getting with krug. hes very important to the pp. but these days, more and more undersized offensive gifted guys are popping out of the woodwork all the time. the need to overpay for one isnt nearly as great as it would have been even 4-5 years ago.

will krug test ufa before he signs? will anyone else go 6-7 years? is that what krug needs in order to be happy? at home, we might think we know these answers but its not us that will decide.

I know there are people here saying they dont feel comfortable paying Heinen 3 mill... and that is there right. theres always 2 options in a case like this for a team. pay or part ways. how much would Heinen be willing to give the team a 'deal' in order to stay? again, its not something we can know all the answers if we arent on the inside. ultimately, if the team feels a guy like Bjork or senyshyn or kuhlman can slide into heinens hole in the lineup and provide a similar result for an elc type payment then the answer becomes easier for the team. Heinen is not now nor will he ever be a 'core' part of this team {or probably any nhl team} He is a supporting piece of the puzzle and it wouldnt be wise to harm more important parts of your team by overpaying/overcommitting to any support piece.

is 3 mill on a 2-3 year deal an overcommittment? its the same price we were paying peverly/Kelly many years ago when the cap was a fraction. can Heinen be as important to the team over the next couple years as they were?

my gut says that if these players are reasonable then both are in the teams plans moving forward. we have a cup winning group put together now. the most important parts are older and wont last forever. the best bet is to keep the teams chemistry as much as possible for the short term and immediate future. make our bet on our kids being able to fill holes and make improvements to the lineup at a price we can afford. use the trade deadline for short term adds in places where the kids havent filled whatever cracks we have in the lineup

maximize the amount of winning we are able to do while Bergeron/marchand/rask stay at the top of their game and then rebuild when our window closes

Domenic Pazzia

Mar 30, 2019
come and play? sure

come close to replacing Krug? hell no

I think we see Miller, Moore and possibly Gryz moved from the D.

for forwards, I can see Backes being off the books, especially if they win it all. Can see him retiring into the sunset since he isnt leaving big money on the table
That’s a good point! But I rather get something for him now before he leaves. I don’t think I can accept paying him 7 million a year .

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Boston will sign Carlo and McAvoy (and, according to McKenzie, a deal with Carlo is more or less in place), and I don't see any team submitting an offer sheet to Heinen.

Where it gets interesting—and I mentioned this in the NHL thread here—is if Boston decides to submit offer sheets to some players out there, especially if they get some money off the books (e.g., Miller, Backes and/or Krug). Sweeney could make a play for Kapanen in the range that would cost only a second-round pick. Having another right-shot RW would fill a big hole. Maybe Sweeney could even shoot for the moon and send an offer sheet Marner's way. He's worth fourth (probably low) first-round picks, and it would really stick it to a division rival, even if Marner does stay in Toronto. I doubt that Boston would target Marner and that he would want to leave the Leafs, but the Bruins would have nothing to lose and, potentially, so much to gain in such a scenario.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Boston will sign Carlo and McAvoy (and, according to McKenzie, a deal with Carlo is more or less in place), and I don't see any team submitting an offer sheet to Heinen.

Where it gets interesting—and I mentioned this in the NHL thread here—is if Boston decides to submit offer sheets to some players out there, especially if they get some money off the books (e.g., Miller, Backes and/or Krug). Sweeney could make a play for Kapanen in the range that would cost only a second-round pick. Having another right-shot RW would fill a big hole. Maybe Sweeney could even shoot for the moon and send an offer sheet Marner's way. He's worth fourth (probably low) first-round picks, and it would really stick it to a division rival, even if Marner does stay in Toronto. I doubt that Boston would target Marner and that he would want to leave the Leafs, but the Bruins would have nothing to lose and, potentially, so much to gain in such a scenario.

The Kapanen contract would be matched. I have no problem giving up picks for established players but you have to make sure you are going high enough in your offer and targeting a team that won't be able to match the offer. Matt Tkachuk is somebody I would give 4 first for in a second. But Calgary has plenty of cap space and would probably match any deal. Kyle Connor could be a target, young 30 goal scorer and Winnipeg may have cap issues after signing Laine. Mikko Rantanen? Pastrnak becomes your number two right winger and Rantanen your number one, that top 6 wins at least one cup, maybe two, well worth 4 picks and the 10m plus it would cost to sign him but why would Colorado let him go? Brayden Point, fixes long term center concerns, and you hurt a rival. Tampa would match but he would be worth an offer sheet.

If you do make one of these moves you can recoup some of your picks by moving Krug, getting back 1 or maybe 2 first round picks or a 1 and a 2.

I think all of the players I mention would get their offer sheets matched but any one of them would be a great addition to the Bruins.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Let the UFAs walk. Buy-out or trade Kevan Miller. Re-sign Heinen, McAvoy, and Carlo. Wouldn't mind getting an extension done with DeBrusk on July 1st either. Stay out of free agency outside of two-way contracts to fill up the system.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Heinen-JFK/Studnicka-Coyle
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
JFK/Studnicka/Kuhlman

Frederic needs another year in the AHL, Steen should start there as well.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Moore/Lauzon/Zboril

Wouldn't be opposed to moving Krug for a 2nd line RW if they think Urho is ready to go. One of Heinen/Bjork/Frederic/JFK/Studnicka could also be trade bait in this scenario. Do anything you can to keep the championship window open before Bergeron/Marchand/Krejci decline imo. If that's the case:

DeBrusk-Krejci-Trade
Heinen-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-JFK/Studnicka-Wagner
Nordstrom/JFK/Studnicka/Kuhlman

Chara-Carlo
Urho-McAvoy
Grzelcyk-Miller
Moore/Lauzon/Zboril

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Let the UFAs walk. Buy-out or trade Kevan Miller. Re-sign Heinen, McAvoy, and Carlo. Wouldn't mind getting an extension done with DeBrusk on July 1st either. Stay out of free agency outside of two-way contracts to fill up the system.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Heinen-JFK/Studnicka-Coyle
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
JFK/Studnicka/Kuhlman

Frederic needs another year in the AHL, Steen should start there as well.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Moore/Lauzon/Zboril

Wouldn't be opposed to moving Krug for a 2nd line RW if they think Urho is ready to go. One of Heinen/Bjork/Frederic/JFK/Studnicka could also be trade bait in this scenario. Do anything you can to keep the championship window open before Bergeron/Marchand/Krejci decline imo. If that's the case:

DeBrusk-Krejci-Trade
Heinen-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-JFK/Studnicka-Wagner
Nordstrom/JFK/Studnicka/Kuhlman

Chara-Carlo
Urho-McAvoy
Grzelcyk-Miller
Moore/Lauzon/Zboril

signing debrusk would probably screw us on tracking... might be ok with krug and chara both in last year but it could also bite us at trade deadline time

no rush to resign debrusk… guy with his talent isnt going to take a home town discount. I wouldnt want to pay him like a 30goal/60 point guy until hes done it... so a 1 year prove it deal when he expires is fine unless he had a breakout season next year

sooner or later he will get paid... but lets wait

giving a guy a 7-8 year deal when hes around 24/25 is ideal. giving it as 21-22 is much riskier and ends up costing a team much more in the long run

the Bergeron model is one most teams should try for... a shorter term second deal and earlier ufa. Bergeron will end up being one of the best bargain players of the cap era

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The Kapanen contract would be matched. I have no problem giving up picks for established players but you have to make sure you are going high enough in your offer and targeting a team that won't be able to match the offer. Matt Tkachuk is somebody I would give 4 first for in a second. But Calgary has plenty of cap space and would probably match any deal. Kyle Connor could be a target, young 30 goal scorer and Winnipeg may have cap issues after signing Laine. Mikko Rantanen? Pastrnak becomes your number two right winger and Rantanen your number one, that top 6 wins at least one cup, maybe two, well worth 4 picks and the 10m plus it would cost to sign him but why would Colorado let him go? Brayden Point, fixes long term center concerns, and you hurt a rival. Tampa would match but he would be worth an offer sheet.

If you do make one of these moves you can recoup some of your picks by moving Krug, getting back 1 or maybe 2 first round picks or a 1 and a 2.

I think all of the players I mention would get their offer sheets matched but any one of them would be a great addition to the Bruins.

Could Toronto match an offer on Kapanen, though, especially if they sign Marner to @ $11 million per season? I doubt that the Leafs can afford to keep all of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson, even with letting a guy like Gardner walk. Maybe Toronto could also deal one of Kadri or Nylander to make things work, but I feel that they're going to lose at least one of their young wingers.

As for Kyle Connor, well... . Anyway, I think that Winnipeg would keep him over one of Ehlers and Laine.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'd like to see Johansson back if the money is right. I wouldn't give him more than 2 years tho.

McAvoy and Carlo are the priority.

I think they will sign Acciari since Wags and Kuraly are still under contract and most of the guys in Providence are more offensive minded versus grinders.

Other than this, ask me again closer to the draft

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'd like to see Johansson back if the money is right. I wouldn't give him more than 2 years tho.

McAvoy and Carlo are the priority.

I think they will sign Acciari since Wags and Kuraly are still under contract and most of the guys in Providence are more offensive minded versus grinders.

Other than this, ask me again closer to the draft
I like Acciari but I think Blidh could fill his spot if Acciari is looking for more than 1.5. If he wants that much I would go after Tanev who has a better all around game and can move up a line maybe two if needed short term.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Could Toronto match an offer on Kapanen, though, especially if they sign Marner to @ $11 million per season? I doubt that the Leafs can afford to keep all of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson, even with letting a guy like Gardner walk. Maybe Toronto could also deal one of Kadri or Nylander to make things work, but I feel that they're going to lose at least one of their young wingers.

As for Kyle Connor, well... . Anyway, I think that Winnipeg would keep him over one of Ehlers and Laine.
I would keep Connor over both but where Winnipeg drafted Laine and if you believe that he will be come more consistent they couldn't let him go as he could become a top 5 goal scorer in the league.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
E82A89EB-B249-4D0D-BEA4-67D4E03B6BD1.jpeg

We will be fine for next season cap wise
We will need to move Miller or Moore for cap space...if we can’t unload Backes

We will most likely trade Miller and Keep Moore

Because Moore will be kept so he can go to Seattle in 20-21 in the expansion draft

I could see Krug traded if they win the cup and can’t agree to an extension this summer but if we don’t win the cup Krug is staying

And I still think Backes could be moved to a salary floor team having already been paid 23 of his 30 million

If we can move Backes we would have 10 million to play with and could bring back Mojo or sign someone for Krejci or Bergeron wing if they don’t trust the kids

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
View attachment 225667

We will be fine for next season cap wise
We will need to move Miller or Moore for cap space...if we can’t unload Backes

We will most likely trade Miller and Keep Moore

Because Moore will be kept so he can go to Seattle in 20-21 in the expansion draft

I could see Krug traded if they win the cup and can’t agree to an extension this summer but if we don’t win the cup Krug is staying

And I still think Backes could be moved to a salary floor team having already been paid 23 of his 30 million

If we can move Backes we would have 10 million to play with and could bring back Mojo or sign someone for Krejci or Bergeron wing if they don’t trust the kids

I'd kill for that, but honestly the chance of getting Charlie at $5m per is probably 0.1%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad