Salary Cap: 2019-20 cap discussion {rfa comp has been established}

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
First....who is taking Backes?

If you want to suggest trading him and keeping Heinen...fine. But IMO we’d need to add to any deal just to move him at his age and contract. And that makes the top 9 very soft. No problem if it’s him instead of Heinen, as long as the price to move Backes isn’t too much.

Second, the Krug for AA (a 30 goal scorer on a crap team, BTW) and Heinen for picks trades were suggested in order to allow the Bruins to resign Johansson.

People can crap on the idea all day long, but I find it funny how soon people forget how weak the forward group was prior to the Coyle and Johansson additions, even with Teflon Dan and his amazing CORSI and whopping 13 points between October and January.

In the end which lineup is better?

With Krug and Heinen:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Backes
????? - Coyle - Heinen
Blidh/Kuraly/Nordstrom/ Wagner

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Moore, Miller, Grizz, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon

Or
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Athanasiou
Johansson - Coyle - Backes
Fourth Line

Chara - McAvoy
Grizz - Carlo
Moore, Miller, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon

IMO the lineup without Johansson looks a lot more concerning than the one without Krug. Especially when you consider the quality of prospects at each position.

I think that there’s a much better chance that Vaakanainen or Lauzon (espy. Vaakanainen) become legit difference makers on defense to replace Krug than the forwards do in replacing Johansson.

Bash away.
Dumping the on and off again Miller and shedding his cap hit might be a better way of doing it. Some team will bite on it. They always bite on D- men. But it’s a great post.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Dumping the on and off again Miller and shedding his cap hit might be a better way of doing it. Some team will bite on it. They always bite on D- men. But it’s a great post.

Thanks.

This whole discussion was in regard to a post I made on page three, I think of this thread where I used armchair GM to do a mock roster.

In that exercise I did trade Miller for picks to free up his money.

Reactions: BAD BOY

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Saw something on Twitter today pertaining to the offseason. There is a site than takes all the salary info from CapFriendly and point production and tries to project what FA’s will get this summer.

Interesting stuff:

There's something really broken in the game if Cody Ceci gets a better contract than Brandon Carlo

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ideal offseason with capfriendlys estimate of $83 cap giving the bruins $15.778m in space.

Outgoing contracts:

- Trade Kevan Miller for a 3rd round pick, frees up $2.5m towards the cap
- Trade Backes and attach a 2nd round pick in a salary dump, frees up $6m

New cap space after trades: $24.778m

RFA/UFA’s retained:

-sign McAvoy 6y/$36m ($6m AAV)
- sign Carlo 4y/$ 19.6m (4.9 AAV)
-sign heinen 4yr/$12.5m (3.125 AAV)
- sign Johansson 3y/$13.5m (4.5 AAV)

New cap space: $6.25m

Free Agent signings:

- sign Michael Ferlund 4y/$17m (4.25 AAV)

New cap space: $2.03m

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-Johansson
Ferlund- coyle-heinen
Wagner-kuraly-Nordstrom/acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton

Rask
Halak

I’d stay far away from Ferland. Generally speaking he’s the type of player I like, but I can’t shake the feeling that he’d be another Beleskey.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’d stay far away from Ferland. Generally speaking he’s the type of player I like, but I can’t shake the feeling that he’d be another Beleskey.

Ferlund has back to back 40+ Point seasons. Beleskeys top two seasons were 37 and 32

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ferlund has back to back 40+ Point seasons. Beleskeys top two seasons were 37 and 32

I know. Just going with my gut and based on what I saw vs. Carolina last week.

He was pretty invisible, IMO.

Snapshot of course, but I’d have liked to have seen him do something in the biggest games of his season.

Reactions: TwineTickler

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
There's something really broken in the game if Cody Ceci gets a better contract than Brandon Carlo

I looked at the 3 yr. projections and it’s interesting/intriguing in many cases.

The following group of UFA at 3 yrs.

Anders Lee @ 5.51
Zuccarello @ 5.64
Kevin Hayes @ 5.62 (absurd to me)
Johansson @ only 4.4
Ferland @ 4.1 (wouldn’t touch it)

To me, Johansson is much better than Ferland and Hayes.

Surprised Zuccarello comes in higher than Lee as well.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This can’t wait until the offseason?

I imagine some posters who find no fun in this sort of stuff probably could wait till offseason or even longer. I suspect a few will pass a harsh judgement on those of us that do have fun with it and will try to belittle it without offering anything of value or will even go further to try to shut it up.

but... honestly I can have fun watching hockey games when they are on and spending hours every day just thinking about the team I love and what it might do in the future.

I assume some other fans are like me and I am happy they are having some fun here too.

we dont want to make anyone miserable... so for those of you who cant have fun, I suggest they all wait until the offseason or whenever they feel they might have something to add to the discussion

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I looked at the 3 yr. projections and it’s interesting/intriguing in many cases.

Anders Lee @ 5.51
Zuccarello @ 5.64
Johansson @ only 4.4

it almost turns me off to see some of these numbers associated with some of these players... and then the teams come to the taxpayers and tell us they cant be competitive without handouts and new arenas.

I wonder where the breaking point comes

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
it almost turns me off to see some of these numbers associated with some of these players... and then the teams come to the taxpayers and tell us they cant be competitive without handouts and new arenas.

I wonder where the breaking point comes
At the next lockout

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Anders Lee @ 5.51
Zuccarello @ 5.64
Johansson @ only 4.4

Signing Johansson would be my first choice
Anders Lee I could get behind
Ferland and Hayes I can't ,Hayes is a dope and Ferland has bad contract written all over him
Zuccarello would look good with Krejci for a few years but he probably wants 4 + years,can't do that

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I imagine some posters who find no fun in this sort of stuff probably could wait till offseason or even longer. I suspect a few will pass a harsh judgement on those of us that do have fun with it and will try to belittle it without offering anything of value or will even go further to try to shut it up.

but... honestly I can have fun watching hockey games when they are on and spending hours every day just thinking about the team I love and what it might do in the future.

I assume some other fans are like me and I am happy they are having some fun here too.

we dont want to make anyone miserable... so for those of you who cant have fun, I suggest they all wait until the offseason or whenever they feel they might have something to add to the discussion

I love this stuff. I just think the next 4-7 games have so much bearing on the plan for next season it’s hard to have any conversations. We know that Charlie and Carlo will re-up. Charlie might be a bridge. Not much to talk about there.

Heinen should re-up, but could also be a chip depending on what happens with Krug, Jojo and Backes. If the Bruins lose, all three might be back. If they win, none of them might be back. Whether all three or some or none drastically changes the rest of the conversation.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This can’t wait until the offseason?

Lol there’s like 10 days between series right now. People are just doing this to kill time because they’ve beat every other dead horse on this forum pretty much. Helps pass the time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I’m not being sarcastic, but how often do you watch Ceci play outside of when the B’s face the Sens?

I love Carlo’s game and how he has improved this year, but it appears that he will never put up much in the way of points, particularly when he is paired with a PMD like Krug. That will keep his salary lower than more offensive minded D, even if he’s better overall.

I would not categorize Ceci as an “offensive guy”, but he puts up better numbers than Carlo. Also, he has played on a dumpster fire of a team the last couple of seasons, which doesn’t do much for the stats. He has averaged 23+ minutes a game for the last three years, which is 1st pair D TOI, even if it is a bad team.

In addition, this is Ceci’s 4th contract and he’s 25/26 years old. Carlo is 22/23 and just coming off his ELC, so that’s not really a comparable situation at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Ceci got a little more than Carlo, when you look at everything.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I’m not being sarcastic, but how often do you watch Ceci play outside of when the B’s face the Sens?

I love Carlo’s game and how he has improved this year, but it appears that he will never put up much in the way of points, particularly when he is paired with a PMD like Krug. That will keep his salary lower than more offensive minded D, even if he’s better overall.

I would not categorize Ceci as an “offensive guy”, but he puts up better numbers than Carlo. Also, he has played on a dumpster fire of a team the last couple of seasons, which doesn’t do much for the stats. He has averaged 23+ minutes a game for the last three years, which is 1st pair D TOI, even if it is a bad team.

In addition, this is Ceci’s 4th contract and he’s 25/26 years old. Carlo is 22/23 and just coming off his ELC, so that’s not really a comparable situation at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Ceci got a little more than Carlo, when you look at everything.

I think I heard it credited to the red wings brain trust early in their dynasty when they said you cant pay your stay at home dmen. I think its been an unwritten rule locked in stone ever since.

I still believe carlo will score more... he skates well and his puck skill isnt too horrible.

to me... carlo looks like the type of guy you offer him a bit more long term and you get yourself a bargain as the cap keeps going up. if he was being paid based on his current play hes probably looking at a darnell nurse/Jacob trouba type bridge deal at best. but on a longer term deal I think he can argue for Jonas brodin/Jacob slavin type money

will ceci get more? I think Ottawa has to give their money to someone. if they want to keep selling tickets they better start making their fans more happy. he has a good bargaining position

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
krug will turn 29 before his next contract starts... can you name a single undersized offensive dman that didnt see his production levels drop in half between age 29 and 33?

theres been a couple undersized dmen like brian ralfalski and the guy that was just finishing up in Winnipeg last year who were good enough defensively that their teams were still playing them at 33-34 years of age... but most guys are finished by this time

I dont think krug has the defensive skill to be useful if his point totals drop in half... and if his new contract calls for a raise its going to be tough. my plan would be to offer him more money on a shorter term. im not sure how he and his agent will want to proceed

I don't think he will .... this playoff performance is his meal ticket

I'm sure he would want to stay but not at a discount or shorter years....especially when he and his agent know teams like Carolina and several other mediocre PP teams, could pay a premium to bring him in

End of the day , I think the Bruins will ride out Krug contract .... then either see if they can sign him to what the team is capable of or let him walk and use the money to shore up other areas

Worse case, Grz and Mcavoy are capable replacements to take on the offensive load imo. Have McAvoy lead the 1st unit on the PP and Grz on the 2nd unit.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I would like to see the Bruins maintain a strong core down the middle with Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle and Kuraly for several more years to come

Coyle and Kuraly sooner than later would need to be extended. I would give Coyle a 4 year deal at 4.0 million per and Kuraly a 4 year deal at 2.0 million per

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Think it’s gonna be tough to resign either ufa forward. I think Johansson is playing himself into a big payday. And I think Acciari is going to get higher end 4th line money. Bruins already have 3 4th liners under contract for next season.

Priority for offseason is the RFAs, Krug, Coyle then see if DeBrusk signs now(he probably won’t, he will want to bet on himself having a big year next year). Knowing Krug number will determine if they will need to move salary or not.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I know. Just going with my gut and based on what I saw vs. Carolina last week.

He was pretty invisible, IMO.

Snapshot of course, but I’d have liked to have seen him do something in the biggest games of his season.

No excuse but he was also hurt. I would love Ferland here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad