Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
With the Ducks missing out on Shattenkirk, I wonder how aggressively they’ll now go after Priskie, if at all.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
too bad shattenkirk didn't sign here. a 2 year 2.5 mil contract fo rhim definitely would've been worth it for us.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
too bad shattenkirk didn't sign here. a 2 year 2.5 mil contract fo rhim definitely would've been worth it for us.

And probably not to him that much at all. Just one year makes a lot more sense IMO, especially on that team.

Interesting Bob was fairly aggressive on him but I don't know if it means much in terms of how much more aggressive he'd be. Guessing he was going for a bit of a home run.

Oct 18, 2011
I wonder if BMs comments were aimed at guys who werent on the team regulalry so potentially excluding Sprong. I had this idea earlier while at work.
Sprong-Getzlaf-Kase
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Ritchie-Rico-Terry
Shore-Grant-Rowney

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson/Guhle-Fowler
MDZ-Hakanpaa
Top 3 lines all have 1 rookie and at least 1 fully established Vet.
That defense is wretched

Reactions: Duck Off

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
With the Ducks missing out on Shattenkirk, I wonder how aggressively they’ll now go after Priskie, if at all.

It's hard to be aggressive when, literally, all of the teams can offer the same entry level contract. Bob can't offer him anything extra. Obviously, some recruiting is involved, but Priskie is calling the shots.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Someone asked Stephens that on Twitter on the article post, he said while he thinks there’s interest, he’s heard Bob is looking for a more proven guy. Thought that was interesting. Also said he’s not sure what level of interest he has in Risto.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
It's hard to be aggressive when, literally, all of the teams can offer the same entry level contract. Bob can't offer him anything extra. Obviously, some recruiting is involved, but Priskie is calling the shots.
Financially speaking, no, but he can make a case for the direction of the team, where Priskie would fit, guaranteeing opportunities, selling him on the city/organization, etc.
I’m no CBA expert but can’t they give him performance & signing bonuses on top of the max ELC?

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Someone asked Stephens that on Twitter on the article post, he said while he thinks there’s interest, he’s heard Bob is looking for a more proven guy. Thought that was interesting. Also said he’s not sure what level of interest he has in Risto.
Interesting, since Shattenkirk isn’t really known for his “defensive” play, more for his PP tools (lol) & the offense he could generate—not to mention him being a righty.

Most of the available RHD FA are of the “stay at home, 2-way on a good day ilk, so I doubt Bob adds one of them. Think it’s Priskie or tradesville for Bob if he still thinks it’s worth adding a point-producing (right-shot) defenseman.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting.
I`d be happy to try Priskie and I think it would make sense to go after him.

If we want more proven players - why we didn`t go after Hutton then?
There`s still Gardiner but I`d doubt we go after him, because of the money.

Getting Risto would be really cool

Reactions: wraparound

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I like the line up they used here

That 4th line is pretty unrealistic though, needs to be some combination of Grant/Rowney/Jones/Shore. I also don't see that Comtois will take Jones' spot just yet, IMO Comtois starts the season in San Diego...

Rakell - Steel - Silf
Sprong - Getz - Terry
Ritchie - Rico - Kase
Jones - Rowney - Grant/Shore
Shore/Grant

wraparound

May 17, 2014

I legit think bc of handedness & role. Hutton isn’t ‘known’ for his offensive production. Ducks are overloaded on LHD right now, far fewer *proven* RHD options after Manson—that is to say, none.

Reactions: Kalv

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The most significant development that came out of the Shattenkirk ordeal was that it’s now evident that Bob Murray is not satisfied with our defence. I think it’s too late now, unless he can get Gardiner on the cheap. I don’t see a trade happening.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'm really curious to see how Eakins deploys Ritchie. Nick played some of his best hockey while being coached by Eakins in SD during the 2015-16 season. If he doesn't improve upon last season, Ritchie might well be the asset Murray uses to acquire a defenseman. The trade would look something like the Nylander/Jokiharju swap but with both players having a bit more experience. Frankly, a Ritchie for Ristolainen trade wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anaheim would be dealing from a position of possible strength (I say possible because it depends on Rakell bouncing back, one of Comtois/Jones sticking, and two of Shore/Henrique/Kase/Sprong playing LW), addressing a front office-recognized weakness, and could absorb the difference in cap hits.

Buffalo would be dealing from a position of RHD strength, opening a spot for Jokiharju, acquiring a winger who plays a physical game unlike their other forwards (plus added familiarity with Reinhart), and receiving the more team-friendly contract in terms of both cap hit and RFA status.

Murray and Botterill will likely want to see how their respective forward/defense logjams shake out prior to making this trade, which is why I think if it does happen, it happens after the start of the season.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Gardiner won't really solve any of the D-corps issues, especially being a left-handed shot who doesn't contribute much on the PP. Risto I don't think would be a huge improvement either, defensively anyways, but he's definitely a better fit. IMO they've both been misused like Fowler in their careers - expecting them to do the heavy lifting and be top pair guys when they clearly aren't. Risto, I think, would benefit much more from a change of scenery though. Plus the Teemu proximity couldn't hurt. Does he love steak?

Would like to see Bob go after Priskie since there is definitely a case to be made for Top 4 minutes. But if he strikes out there, I don't see a trade being made until the end of training camp when he knows what he's got with the roster, unless he gets offered something stupid good.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm really curious to see how Eakins deploys Ritchie. Nick played some of his best hockey while being coached by Eakins in SD during the 2015-16 season. If he doesn't improve upon last season, Ritchie might well be the asset Murray uses to acquire a defenseman. The trade would look something like the Nylander/Jokiharju swap but with both players having a bit more experience. Frankly, a Ritchie for Ristolainen trade wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anaheim would be dealing from a position of possible strength (I say possible because it depends on Rakell bouncing back, one of Comtois/Jones sticking, and two of Shore/Henrique/Kase/Sprong playing LW), addressing a front office-recognized weakness, and could absorb the difference in cap hits.

Buffalo would be dealing from a position of RHD strength, opening a spot for Jokiharju, acquiring a winger who plays a physical game unlike their other forwards (plus added familiarity with Reinhart), and receiving the more team-friendly contract in terms of both cap hit and RFA status.

Murray and Botterill will likely want to see how their respective forward/defense logjams shake out prior to making this trade, which is why I think if it does happen, it happens after the start of the season.
I think Ritchie for Risto is a bit of a pipe dream. Risto outproduces Ritchie as a D man and its like like Ritchie is some defensive stalwart. My guess is Buffalo is asking for Steel or more likely Kase. They need to Upgrade their forwards. Ritchie just doesn't add that much there. Is he better than most of what they have? Probably but the same can be said for us and what our guys have PROVEN so far. I just dont see him oushing the needle for how they view Risto.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I think Ritchie for Risto is a bit of a pipe dream. Risto outproduces Ritchie as a D man and its like like Ritchie is some defensive stalwart. My guess is Buffalo is asking for Steel or more likely Kase. They need to Upgrade their forwards. Ritchie just doesn't add that much there. Is he better than most of what they have? Probably but the same can be said for us and what our guys have PROVEN so far. I just dont see him oushing the needle for how they view Risto.
I agree. For Ritchie to bring back Ristolainen, he'd have to continue showing improvement, which I suppose defeats the purpose of trading him in the first place. It's possible Murray thinks adding Ristolainen is still worth an improved Ritchie but the opposite would have to hold true in Botterill's eyes too.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Interesting.
I`d be happy to try Priskie and I think it would make sense to go after him.

There`s still Gardiner but I`d doubt we go after him, because of the money.

Getting Risto would be really cool

I think it’s because he wants an offensive D, which Hutton isn’t. Personally I’d love signing Hutton though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How would you guys feel about going after Vatanen in free agency next year?

His shot is pretty much gone at this point. While he’s improved a lot defensively over the years I don’t know how much gas is in the tank with him. Short term I would be fine with him in a top 4 role but I doubt he’s playing in the NHL much past 30.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
How would you guys feel about going after Vatanen in free agency next year?
I was actually thinking about that the other day when looking at next year's FAs. I'd love him back. Especially since he hasn't really done much to earn a raise off this contract. Of course that could change if he has a bounce back year since they'll use him differently now that they've got Subban. Don't think he's the offensive catalyst he was before the shoulder issues, but he's still a capable puck mover. I'd be weary of anything longer than 2-3 years though.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Plus the Teemu proximity couldn't hurt. Does he love steak?
While this is mostly OT, I'll just add that this might change sooner or later. It's speculation, but Selannes have had their estate up for sale for quite some time already. Reportedly he's also interested taking on a management role with Jokerit in Finland. He has earlier denied his interest in moving back to Finland, but could consider it if he had a nice job here. I suppose a management job with his junior, and only team he ever played for in Finland, would be nice enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad