Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Shattenkirk signs in Tampa, 1 year/$1.75 million.

Mildly disappointed at the outcome, but it's understandable. Dude chose to go Cup chasing (not that I blame him), we're a bubble team at best right now. The annoying thing is that our RHD situation remains unsolved, Shattenkirk was easily the best "buy low" option on the market.

If there's a silver lining to be had from this, it's that this most likely takes Tampa out of any rumored Risto sweepstakes (if there actually is any). Was also thinking -- is there any chance that Tampa would entertain a deal around a guy like Cernak? They have a crapload of money tied to their top end guys, Cernak hits RFA next offseason, plus they have an upcoming top RHD prospect in Cal Foote...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Shattenkirk signs in Tampa, 1 year/$1.75 million.

Mildly disappointed at the outcome, but it's understandable. Dude chose to go Cup chasing (not that I blame him), we're a bubble team at best right now. The annoying thing is that our RHD situation remains unsolved, Shattenkirk was easily the best "buy low" option on the market.

If there's a silver lining to be had from this, it's that this most likely takes Tampa out of any rumored Risto sweepstakes (if there actually is any). Was also thinking -- is there any chance that Tampa would entertain a deal around a guy like Cernak? They have a crapload of money tied to their top end guys, Cernak hits RFA next offseason, plus they have an upcoming top RHD prospect in Cal Foote...
I wouldn't mind getting cernak but I assume they plan on finding a way to keep him.

I think the team is just going to go with fowler as our "RHD" solution and give him time to see how he does... who knows maybe itll work out.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Id like to see the line up look something like
Ritchie Getzlaf Terry
Rakell Steel Silfverberg
Comtois Henrique Kase
Deslauriers Rowney Sprong( give sprong shifts with getz/Ritchie and on PP)

Depth: Grant/Sheerwood

Lindholm Manson
Guhle Fowler
Larsson MDZ

Depth: Hakanapaa/Mahura

Itll be much easier to figure out the roster when we figure out what players will decide to get injured this year. I have a hard time not putting grant on 4th line RW.... at the same time I have a hard time thinking Terry/Sprong wont be in the starting line up. Oops forgot about shore... kinda hope we just move him for a pick... maybe get a 3rd or 4th.
This is real close to what I think we'll actually see, if not it. I might swap Kase and Terry, but that's kind of a toss up.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
there's an article on nhl.com staying Bob Murray says there will only be 3 or 4 spots for young players and that's counting defensemen....
Ah, but what is a "young" player? Given his time in the NHL already I doubt that BM would consider Spring a "young" player. And I wonder if Larson would also escape being classified as "young" given that he has already played 53 NHL games. But in the end who knows what BM really means. I expect Terry and Steele to be on the team based upon their performances the last part of last season. I think that Bob has already tipped his hand that he expects Guhle to make the team. That really only leaves open the question of whether Jones and/or Comtois start the season in San Diego. It may actually be better for them to do so if the alternative up here is fourth line duty.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is real close to what I think we'll actually see, if not it. I might swap Kase and Terry, but that's kind of a toss up.
I had kase and terry swapped at 1st... but thought it might be best to put 1 rookie per line. Comtois Henrique Terry line could be good later on in the season but idk if id be comfortable starting with it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I had kase and terry swapped at 1st... but thought it might be best to put 1 rookie per line. Comtois Henrique Terry line could be good later on in the season but idk if id be comfortable starting with it.
You can swap Comtois and Ritchie as well.
Comtois-Getz-Kase
Ritchie-Rico-Terry

Reactions: Getz2noone

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I wouldn't mind getting cernak but I assume they plan on finding a way to keep him.

I think the team is just going to go with fowler as our "RHD" solution and give him time to see how he does... who knows maybe itll work out.

They're going to be incredibly cap strapped pretty soon though.

Right now they barely have the money for Point and Erne, Vasilevskiy's extension bumps his cap hit up by a whopping $6 million per year against the cap in 2020. They get almost $7 million in cap relief via expiring contracts, but then they're looking at extending Cirelli, Joseph, Sergachev and Cernak, all of who hit RFA at the same time. They might get a few million from the increasing cap, but IMO there won't be enough cash to keep everybody. Even then a guy like Cernak might not be available, sure, but no harm in making a call to JBB? :dunno:

Regarding their veterans, all of McDonagh, Palat, Johnson and Gourde have full NTCs active, Stamkos and Hedman have active NMCs. Killorn has a full NTC active until the start of the 20-21 season, but even after that he has a 15-team no-trade list. I don't see any scenario where they deal Kucherov or Point. Can't say whether they'd pull the trigger on a buyout...

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
For what it’s worth, DB from Thefourthperiod is saying we offered Shattenkirk a multi year deal. He’s not the one who has sources there though so like I said, take it for what’s worth; likely diddily shit.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Welp, not surprised in the least. I never expected Bob Murray to figure something out with Shattenkirk. Tampa is a logical landing spot for him though.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Honestly I had forgotten about Sprong when I was thinking about this. My initial thoughs were Steel, Terry and Larsson/Guhle. I had kind of taken Steel and Terry for Locks. If they're set on that I could see them send Terry Down to let Sprong get minutes since Terry is waiver exempt still. Id be slightly annoyed at that

From a pragmatic asset POV, Sprong won't be sent down to the AHL b/c he isn't waiver exempt. He could alternate as a 13th forward, but that's taking away valuable ice time and not helpful. Surprisingly, this is a good problem to have as it appears we have talent depth at our forward positions such that Terry doesn't start at the NHL level at the beginning of the season.

It's kinda scary good to realize that the Ducks were a season or two of not having enough scoring to the prospects of adding scoring so quickly with the prospects they have in Sprong, Terry, Steel, Comtois, and Jones chomping at the bit this coming season. In the next couple of seasons, we're expecting to see Lundestrom, Zegras, and Tracey. McLaughlin, Groulx, and Janicke are making themselves more known too. It's just... wow... when you take a step back to reflect. Out of Sprong, Terry, Steel, Comtois, and Jones, only Steel and Jones were first round selections.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
From a pragmatic asset POV, Sprong won't be sent down to the AHL b/c he isn't waiver exempt. He could alternate as a 13th forward, but that's taking away valuable ice time and not helpful. Surprisingly, this is a good problem to have as it appears we have talent depth at our forward positions such that Terry doesn't start at the NHL level at the beginning of the season.

It's kinda scary good to realize that the Ducks were a season or two of not having enough scoring to the prospects of adding scoring so quickly with the prospects they have in Sprong, Terry, Steel, Comtois, and Jones chomping at the bit this coming season. In the next couple of seasons, we're expecting to see Lundestrom, Zegras, and Tracey. McLaughlin, Groulx, and Janicke are making themselves more known too. It's just... wow... when you take a step back to reflect. Out of Sprong, Terry, Steel, Comtois, and Jones, only Steel and Jones were first round selections.
I could also see Sprong tried in the top 6 on the LW.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Like static said... he could be a good target @ expansion draft.

I also think if the team isn't very good by trade deadline this year.... we may look to find a partner at the deadline this year.... specially if sam steel is lookin good at NHL lvl.

Imo
Getz has at least 3 more seasons as a top 6 center
Steel should find his spot this year and hopefully be productive
lundy/zegras could both could be mainstays as soon as next year.
Groulx is a bit more of a project.

I think Henrique will be forced out at some point.... this is the most center depth weve had coming up ever as an org.

If the ducks centers develop as hoped, Henrique will eventually move to the wing or be traded. He played wing at the end of his tenure in NJ. Those pointing to the glut of wings on the current roster need to project ahead 2-3 years. Many of those guys won't be here any longer for various reasons (flame out, trade, leaving as UFAs). Henrique's game should age relatively well and I don't have a problem if he finishes his contract in the bottom 6.

Ah, but what is a "young" player? Given his time in the NHL already I doubt that BM would consider Spring a "young" player. And I wonder if Larson would also escape being classified as "young" given that he has already played 53 NHL games. But in the end who knows what BM really means. I expect Terry and Steele to be on the team based upon their performances the last part of last season. I think that Bob has already tipped his hand that he expects Guhle to make the team. That really only leaves open the question of whether Jones and/or Comtois start the season in San Diego. It may actually be better for them to do so if the alternative up here is fourth line duty.

I think there is truth to this point. I also thing that BM will never promise or assume a roster spot to a young guy. The "ducks way" is they need to earn it. I have no doubt that many of the waiver exempt players (i.e., everyone but sprong) will go back and forth between Anaheim and San Diego. The only players who I think are safe are Steel and Terry (and Sprong because he can't be sent down).

I also think the ducks will want Comtois to spend time with the Gulls. On a skill level, he might be ready and ahead of some of the other guys (e.g., Jones). Obviously, he showed well last year when they were forced to play him due to injuries. Unless he forces the issue with a great camp, I think they'll want him to start in San Diego to polish up his game and pay his dues.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What makes you say that? Because there’s video of him doing edgework drills? 90% of the league are doing drills like that at this time of year.
he's been there like every single day follow that trainer he's doing off ice daily

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
3-4 is what I was expecting anyway. A defenseman and 2 or 3 of Comtois, Steel, Terry. I don`t see the fuss

I think this is for the most part what people think the opening roster will look like (lines could vary):

Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase
Shore-Henrique-Terry
Jones/Comtois
-Rowney-Sprong
Grant/Deslauries

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Guhle
Larsson
-Hakanpaa/Holzer/MDZ

Depending on who we're referring to as "young players", there seems to be at least 6 destined for opening night lineup. Steel, Terry, and Sprong are locks. I mean maybe an argument could be had that neither of Jones or Comtois make it? Maybe only one of Guhle/Larsson? I guess I'd say it appears having 4 is absolute given (based on current roster). Like I said, I expect at least 5 or 6, and Murray will just give some BS line that he's surprised or something. Basically, I don't believe a god damn thing he said in that article.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Id like to see the line up look something like
Ritchie Getzlaf Terry
Rakell Steel Silfverberg
Comtois Henrique Kase
Deslauriers Rowney Sprong( give sprong shifts with getz/Ritchie and on PP)

Depth: Grant/Sheerwood

Lindholm Manson
Guhle Fowler
Larsson MDZ

Depth: Hakanapaa/Mahura

Itll be much easier to figure out the roster when we figure out what players will decide to get injured this year. I have a hard time not putting grant on 4th line RW.... at the same time I have a hard time thinking Terry/Sprong wont be in the starting line up. Oops forgot about shore... kinda hope we just move him for a pick... maybe get a 3rd or 4th.

That lineup has 6 "young guys", which is kinda what I think will happen to. My comment was just saying I think Murray is full of it with the "only 3 or 4" line.

As far as the lines, I'd prefer these personally: (you left out Shore)

Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase
Jones-Henrique-Terry
Shore-Rowney-Sprong
Deslauriers/Grant

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Guhle-Hakanpaa/MDZ
Holzer

Reactions: Getz2noone

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
That lineup has 6 "young guys", which is kinda what I think will happen to. My comment was just saying I think Murray is full of it with the "only 3 or 4" line.

Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase
Jones-Henrique-Terry
Shore-Rowney-Sprong
Deslauriers/Grant

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Guhle-Hakanpaa/MDZ
Holzer
I'd rather see Larsson on the right side. Fowler's always played like crap on his off-side, but who knows how much of that was also due to his usage/expectations/partners. Hopefully JH adjusts quickly and eventually proves capable of playing 2nd pairing.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Shore and Jones swapped. Shore's puck handling definitely impressed me after we acquired him. He should be able to set up some goals for the bottom 6.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
So, very good chance I’m mistaken.
But wasn’t Henrique thought to be better at LW
In Nj before coming over??

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If, IF, DB is right about our interest in Shattenkirk, it’s kinda telling about Murray’s views on the defense. I know there was some who thought we should get a D who can help with the PK more than PP; the Shattenkirk interest and complete lack of interest in Hutton would show which Murray prefers.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase
Jones-Henrique-Terry
Shore-Rowney-Sprong
Deslauriers/Grant

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Guhle-Hakanpaa/MDZ
Holzer
I wonder if BMs comments were aimed at guys who werent on the team regulalry so potentially excluding Sprong. I had this idea earlier while at work.
Sprong-Getzlaf-Kase
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Ritchie-Rico-Terry
Shore-Grant-Rowney

Lindholm-Manson
Larsson/Guhle-Fowler
MDZ-Hakanpaa
Top 3 lines all have 1 rookie and at least 1 fully established Vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad