Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Does Henrique finish out his contract in Anaheim? I’m think yes because by the end of it he will be hard to move due to decline and price tag

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Does Henrique finish out his contract in Anaheim? I’m think yes because by the end of it he will be hard to move due to decline and price tag
Like static said... he could be a good target @ expansion draft.

I also think if the team isn't very good by trade deadline this year.... we may look to find a partner at the deadline this year.... specially if sam steel is lookin good at NHL lvl.

Imo
Getz has at least 3 more seasons as a top 6 center
Steel should find his spot this year and hopefully be productive
lundy/zegras could both could be mainstays as soon as next year.
Groulx is a bit more of a project.

I think Henrique will be forced out at some point.... this is the most center depth weve had coming up ever as an org.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Like static said... he could be a good target @ expansion draft.

I also think if the team isn't very good by trade deadline this year.... we may look to find a partner at the deadline this year.... specially if sam steel is lookin good at NHL lvl.

Imo
Getz has at least 3 more seasons as a top 6 center
Steel should find his spot this year and hopefully be productive
lundy/zegras could both could be mainstays as soon as next year.
Groulx is a bit more of a project.

I think Henrique will be forced out at some point.... this is the most center depth weve had coming up ever as an org.
Didn’t Barstool Bob make a comment somewhat recently surrounding the whole centers can play wing but wings can’t necessarily play center? There’s a possibility one of the young guys become a winger(at least part time) and Iirc Rico has spent time on the wing as well. Either way it’s great to have that type of flexibility and center prospects to get excited about.

I agree that Rico likely gets forced out in a couple of years or picked at the expansion draft.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Didn’t Barstool Bob make a comment somewhat recently surrounding the whole centers can play wing but wings can’t necessarily play center? There’s a possibility one of the young guys become a winger(at least part time) and Iirc Rico has spent time on the wing as well. Either way it’s great to have that type of flexibility and center prospects to get excited about.

I agree that Rico likely gets forced out in a couple of years or picked at the expansion draft.
I think the problem is
LW: rakell Ritchie comtois jones
RW: Kase terry silf sprong

we don't exactly have room on wing either, obviously I imagine there will be some movement of assets at some point.. but up front we are kinda packed with talent... and most of it is fairly young.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fowler has all the physical tools to be elite, but after time I got tired of waiting for that top-end defenseman to come out. This became more apparent this season when Fowler was out of the lineup due to injury as the Ducks didn't suffer without Fowler's services. Once Lindholm and Manson were re-united ("and it feels so good" lyrics in the background), Fowler eating 2nd pairing minutes was a boon.

Fowler's an offensive defenseman and he's highlighted often from the legacy media. Lindholm doesn't get much love from the legacy media and his defense was rated lower than Fowler's defense in a recent article that ranked defensemen as points matter more than preventing points, winning pucks on the defensive side, and puck movement. Lindholm and Fowler are puck movers, but they differ in how they move the puck. Fowler "carries" the puck often from blue line to blue line. He's very one-dimensional that way whereas other defensemen "push" the puck by passing it ahead to a forward. The team can play faster by thinking the game faster as opposed to finding talent that skate faster b/c those players are limited resources. I think the pressure on Fowler to carry the team's offense for defense is what has often held him back. While everyone sees the alpha physical traits, pushing Fowler to become an alpha wasn't organic. Once the org and Fowler concede his flaws, then we can better utilize Fowler's positive assets as a defenseman. To quote Bing Crosby, "You've got to accentuate the positive; eliminate the negative. Latch on to the affirmative; don't mess with Mister In-Between".

As for Montour being traded, I think everyone was blindsided by that. The return on Montour feels like we got a younger Montour and a first round pick. But at that time we traded Montour, I didn't quite understand why we made the move until you do more research. Monty was going to be a RFA after this coming season and his previous dealing with the Ducks' org were at odds since they went to arbitration. I see that POV, but still leery about trading him away. Now, with the season over, we can reflect. Monty falls similarly into the Fowler situation. If Monty were such a pinnacle piece to the Ducks' defense, then the Ducks' would be hurting without his services. Monty played six games under Bob and the Ducks went 3-3. After Monty was traded, the remaining 20 games without Monty the Ducks went 11-8-1. Yes, we did lose Monty's offense, but the Ducks weren't hurt by it - which was very surprising. Playing with only three known NHL defensemen in Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler along with whatever the Ducks had available (Guhle wasn't available much as he incurred an injury limiting his NHL time with the Ducks), the Ducks didn't pay a heavy price playing without Monty this season. Please note I identified only "this" season. Sure, it's a small scope, but 20 games without Monty is a large enough scope to say the Ducks initially wins this trade due to two assets who've yet to contribute to the Ducks org in D Guhle and F Tracey, who was just drafted in 2019.

I'm happy to have Fowler around than to not have him around. He didn't have the proper route to the NHL, unfortunately. With Bob identifying the alphas being Lindholm-Manson when he took over for the final 26 games, Fowler can hopefully organically come unto his own play and become a wonderful cog for the Ducks' blueline for years to come.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
there's an article on nhl.com staying Bob Murray says there will only be 3 or 4 spots for young players and that's counting defensemen....

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry will make it before steel I'm sure they'll have getzlaf henrique grant rowney

rakell getzlaf terry
silf henrique kase
Ritchie grant sprong
Deslauriers rowney shore

Terry is listed on the Anaheim ducks roster and steel isn't

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Terry, Steel, Jones, Sprong, Comtois, Sherwood, Guhle, Larsson. Pick your 3-4. I'll say Steel, Sprong, Guhle/Larsson.
Honestly I had forgotten about Sprong when I was thinking about this. My initial thoughs were Steel, Terry and Larsson/Guhle. I had kind of taken Steel and Terry for Locks. If they're set on that I could see them send Terry Down to let Sprong get minutes since Terry is waiver exempt still. Id be slightly annoyed at that

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Terry will make it before steel I'm sure they'll have getzlaf henrique grant rowney

rakell getzlaf terry
silf henrique kase
Ritchie grant sprong
Deslauriers rowney shore

Both are locks barring a terrible camp. That said Steel has less competition for a role down the middle than Terry does at wing and played better in the NHL last season so I can’t see him being behind Terry in terms of chances to make the team.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Continuing discussion from the previous thread. Someone mentioned that Mcdonagh is clearly better than Fowler. Really? What is that sets McDonagh in a clear category above Fowler? Someone even mentioned 20D. I admit I haven`t seen him all that much but I strongly doubt those claims.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Continuing discussion from the previous thread. Someone mentioned that Mcdonagh is clearly better than Fowler. Really? What is that sets McDonagh in a clear category above Fowler? Someone even mentioned 20D. I admit I haven`t seen him all that much but I strongly doubt those claims.
Fowler is better skater, thats bout it...ryan better across the board. I guess age fowler has him beat also

Maybe contract slightly leans towards fowler, his ends when hes 35 i think... mcdonagh will be 38 at end of contract.

Reactions: Spazkat

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

McDonagh is significantly better in his own end and is also slightly better offensively.

He had a stretch where he had shoulder issues where he wasn’t that great but bounced back last season and was taking all of Tampa’s hard matchups and excelled in those minutes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fowler is also often taking on tough matchups but I agree that Macdonagh has always been very solid there, he certainly ain`t bad there. Just I don`t think Fowler is that bad either.
Mcdonagh was -6 in their playoff sweep against Columbus and got criticism from at least a few Tampa fans I wsaw here on HF boards.
But like I said, I haven`t watched him too much. Just not convinced he is that much better than Fowler who seems to be underrated at points on here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fowler is also often taking on tough matchups but I agree that Macdonagh has always been very solid there, he certainly ain`t bad there. Just I don`t think Fowler is that bad either.
Mcdonagh was -6 in their playoff sweep against Columbus and got criticism from at least a few Tampa fans I wsaw here on HF boards.
But like I said, I haven`t watched him too much. Just not convinced he is that much better than Fowler who seems to be underrated at points on here.

Fowler hasn’t been the primary match up guy the past two seasons, he does eat a lot of minutes but the last couple of years they’ve been against much easier competition.

You also Can’t judge someone based on a 4 game sample size where the whole team was bad. He had plenty of great runs with the Rangers earlier on.

I think it’s pretty easy to say McDonagh is significantly better. The defensive gap is pretty large and offensively he outproduces Fowler also. Also Look at prior year US selections in best on best tournaments, McDonagh is always a lock as the number 2 LD for the US where as Fowler has only ever made a best on best US team once and he was the number 7 Dman.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
McDonagh is significantly better in his own end and is also slightly better offensively.

He had a stretch where he had shoulder issues where he wasn’t that great but bounced back last season and was taking all of Tampa’s hard matchups and excelled in those minutes.
Mcdonagh is a #1, top pairing at worst.

Id say fowler is more of a 3/ 2nd pairing guy.

Im surprised its even discussion worthy, outside of the time where he had shoulder issues hes been consistently amongst the top 10 area dmen.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fowler hasn’t been the primary match up guy the past two seasons, he does eat a lot of minutes but the last couple of years they’ve been against much easier competition.

You also Can’t judge someone based on a 4 game sample size where the whole team was bad. He had plenty of great runs with the Rangers earlier on.

I think it’s pretty easy to say McDonagh is significantly better. The defensive gap is pretty large and offensively he outproduces Fowler also. Also Look at prior year US selections in best on best tournaments, McDonagh is always a lock as the number 2 LD for the US where as Fowler has only ever made a best on best US team once and he was the number 7 Dman.
Of course 4 games is not a good sample size, as the whole team played bad - but that`s exactly what Fowler had all year long last year :laugh:
As for Tampa fans I heard Mcdonagh got significantly worse as the year went on but he started strong.
I wouldn`t take past achievements in this, as I know Mcdonagh has been a really solid top pair D, I`m speaking more regarding now.
For what it`s worth Fowler played more minutes past year but got injuries. I`m willing to see what next 1-2 years will bring out from Fowler with a new coach and seemingly improved training staff (that dude from the Nets)
Mcdonagh is a #1, top pairing at worst.

Id say fowler is more of a 3/ 2nd pairing guy.

Im surprised its even discussion worthy, outside of the time where he had shoulder issues hes been consistently amongst the top 10 area dmen.
I`d say Mcdonagh surely could be considered at top pair, his defense is great and he puts up points but I don`t see #1 in him personally. Well, like I said I havent been seeing him that much lately. But quick stat sheet scouting (ugh...) and some comments I red on HFboards (UGH...) doesn`t seem to imply Mcdonagh is as good as he was.
I`d say Fowler is a top 3 D for sure.

Anyway, we`ll see next few years how things play out.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

rakell getzlaf terry
silf henrique kase
Ritchie grant sprong
Deslauriers rowney shore

Terry is on the roster because he was never sent down at the end of last season, while Steel was.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
there's an article on nhl.com staying Bob Murray says there will only be 3 or 4 spots for young players and that's counting defensemen....

I call bullshit. This is just more BS like saying the Montour trade would eventually make sense. He literally moved Perry to open up a spot for a young player... he’s just saying that knowing damn well the team will start with way more young players than that. He’ll just say some garbage line like “I’m proud of them for winning spots in camp”. Not too hard when your competition is Grant, Martinsen, MDZ, etc.

Steel, Terry, Sprong, Larsson, Guhle, and one of Comtois/Jones are locks for the big club.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
3-4 is what I was expecting anyway. A defenseman and 2 or 3 of Comtois, Steel, Terry. I don`t see the fuss

Reactions: Ducks DVM

wraparound

May 17, 2014

rakell getzlaf terry
silf henrique kase
Ritchie grant sprong
Deslauriers rowney shore

I wouldn’t read too much into “official” rosters at this time of year. Terry’s only on there because his injury ended his season while he was still with the Ducks. All the other rookies had been reassigned to SD.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I call bull****. This is just more BS like saying the Montour trade would eventually make sense. He literally moved Perry to open up a spot for a young player... he’s just saying that knowing damn well the team will start with way more young players than that. He’ll just say some garbage line like “I’m proud of them for winning spots in camp”. Not too hard when your competition is Grant, Martinsen, MDZ, etc.

Steel, Terry, Sprong, Larsson, Guhle, and one of Comtois/Jones are locks for the big club.
Id like to see the line up look something like
Ritchie Getzlaf Terry
Rakell Steel Silfverberg
Comtois Henrique Kase
Deslauriers Rowney Sprong( give sprong shifts with getz/Ritchie and on PP)

Depth: Grant/Sheerwood

Lindholm Manson
Guhle Fowler
Larsson MDZ

Depth: Hakanapaa/Mahura

Itll be much easier to figure out the roster when we figure out what players will decide to get injured this year. I have a hard time not putting grant on 4th line RW.... at the same time I have a hard time thinking Terry/Sprong wont be in the starting line up. Oops forgot about shore... kinda hope we just move him for a pick... maybe get a 3rd or 4th.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad