2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Holy...So to recap, a guy with 1 year left on his contract (RNH), 1 1st round pick NEXT year, a guy who is RFA that has topped out at 54 points so far, but hasn't gotten over 35 points any other year, and a guy who has 7 games in the NHL that was drafted in 2016...traded for a top 10 player with 6 years left on a friendly deal, and we are ADDING a 3rd? Person needs to hand in their hockey fan card...

I loved that he told me that I didn't know what a fair offer was since I said it wasn't close.

I did have to give him the ROR-trade discount take, though...

Adams should counter with offering Reinhart, Risto, Mitts, and a 1st for McDavid if the Oilers actually called with that offer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I loved that he told me that I didn't know what a fair offer was since I said it wasn't close.

I did have to give him the ROR-trade discount take, though...

Adams should counter with offering Reinhart, Risto, Mitts, and a 1st for McDavid if the Oilers actually called with that offer.

Surprised he didn't say Buffalo would retain a certain % of the cap hit from Jack's contract to make sure it works for Edmonton.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Monahan would be the perfect 2C for us......and we have a playmaking winger that could ride shotgun with him (Reinhart or MoJo). Problem is, would Calgary be interest in a package that doesn't include Reinhart or Cozens?

I'd be OK doing either for Monahan.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Monahan would be the perfect 2C for us......and we have a playmaking winger that could ride shotgun with him (Reinhart or MoJo). Problem is, would Calgary be interest in a package that doesn't include Reinhart or Cozens?
I'd be a lot more interested in a 2C that can actually play defense and doesn't require babysitting by a superior player. Not to mention if Skinner is anything to go by, Krueger will probably hate Monahan's guts anyways.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Not that I go by HF boards poster opinions, but Calgary fans on their board would take Mittelstadt, Montour, and 8OA for Monahan.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why are people so high on Monahan? This guy played with Johnny Hockey, put him on with Olofsson and Johansson/Kahun and will he be so good?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why are people so high on Monahan? This guy played with Johnny Hockey, put him on with Olofsson and Johansson/Kahun and will he be so good?

An argument could be made the other way. Would Johnny G's numbers be the same with a lesser C?

Besides - Reinhart only really played & put up significant numbers with Eichel.... Doesn't mean he isn't a useful player.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

because the guy adds veteran stability to a position that we’ve been putting round pegs into square holes. He would be the best option that we’ve had in that “2C” spot since 90 was here. He also has a nice contract.

Why people are so high on him is because people believe he’s a likely victim of a team looking to re-tool their team and think he would be available.

Just because the guy isn’t some dynamic offensive player, doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful player on the roster. People need to get over the thought that we need to grab a guy that can carry a line himself, when there are only a few that could do that in the league. Find a guy who can work with others well and go with him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
An argument could be made the other way. Would Johnny G's numbers be the same with a lesser C?

Besides - Reinhart only really played & put up significant numbers with Eichel.... Doesn't mean he isn't a useful player.
Monahan is much more dependent on Johnny than Gaudreau on Monahan.

I’m not saying that Monahan is a bad player, I just not sure that he is what we need for a huge price.

because the guy adds veteran stability to a position that we’ve been putting round pegs into square holes. He would be the best option that we’ve had in that “2C” spot since 90 was here. He also has a nice contract.

Why people are so high on him is because people believe he’s a likely victim of a team looking to re-tool their team and think he would be available.

Just because the guy isn’t some dynamic offensive player, doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful player on the roster. People need to get over the thought that we need to grab a guy that can carry a line himself, when there are only a few that could do that in the league. Find a guy who can work with others well and go with him.
Again, I’m not sure that he is the player that we need for a huge price, and I’m not at all sure that Calgary will consider his trading if it is not Cozens + #8, and I certainly wouldn’t. I think we need a player who can carry his line, but even if we don’t find one, we need a completely different type of center, not a Monahan.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

If he's not a dynamic offensive player then what does he add? Because he's also terrible defensively...

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Cirelli > Monahan for Buffalo
I don't even know if you need to add the "for Buffalo" part. Cirelli is nearly 3 years younger, still has room to grow offensively, is already elite defensively and if acquired Buffalo would have the ability to control the term of his next contract instead of just inheriting the 3 years of Monahan's deal. Cirelli is at the absolute top of my wishlist this offseason.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Cirelli > Monahan

I fixed that for you.

All that being said, I would be absolutely stunned if TB trades Cirelli. People were hoping to poach Point last offseason and TB figured out how to get him signed long term.

I have a feeling that they will figure out a way to get under the cap while keeping Cirelli.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If he's not a dynamic offensive player then what does he add? Because he's also terrible defensively...

I'm not trying to tie myself to the guy or saying he's the solution, but I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of those that like the guy and why they want to go after the guy and understand why they would pursue him. IMO though, I don't think he's as bad defensively as people think he is. I think if you bump him down to face easier competition, he would be fine.

With all that said, I'm of the opinion that we should restructure our center spine to include Reinhart at #2C (top 6), and Kahun as the #3 Center, and work on finding wingers that are buried on teams to complement the centers. I'm not looking at next year as a make it or break it season, as there may be a lot of turnover with how many spots need to be filled, and not to mention some spots/roles that need to be improved upon. Take the time this year, to work Reinhart at center, let him get comfortable there. You know he's a decent to good top 6 winger at the very least. If you could turn the top 6 production as a winger into a top 6 center, and have your 2 top 6 centers locked in friendly deals long term, then it's a bonus for your team development wise. If Cozens turns into an elite center during his development, then move Sam back at wing if needed. If you can't, then you still have a solid player. Same idea with Kahun as well. You have a decent winger at the very least. If you could turn that into a really good center, then more power to you.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I fixed that for you.

All that being said, I would be absolutely stunned if TB trades Cirelli. People were hoping to poach Point last offseason and TB figured out how to get him signed long term.

I have a feeling that they will figure out a way to get under the cap while keeping Cirelli.
I think that they have a rather difficult situation. They need to sign Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak, they also can’t trade almost anyone except Killorn, they also need to fill in the press box, they have too little space under the cap. If there is a chance to get Cirelli, then we must do it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think that they have a rather difficult situation. They need to sign Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak, they also can’t trade almost anyone except Killorn, they also need to fill in the press box, they have too little space under the cap. If there is a chance to get Cirelli, then we must do it.

And what I'm saying is that there isn't a realistic chance that the Sabres would be able to outbid every other team in the league if TB puts him on the trade market.

If he is available, teams like Ottawa and NJ have way more draft picks to throw TB's way in the event that they just want help with the cap and will take futures back.

But, I bet they find a way to move one or two of the overpaid forwards with NTCs and their cap issues get resolved that way.

That is how quality teams like TB work through these issues. They don't give away high quality young players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not trying to tie myself to the guy or saying he's the solution, but I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of those that like the guy and why they want to go after the guy and understand why they would pursue him. IMO though, I don't think he's as bad defensively as people think he is. I think if you bump him down to face easier competition, he would be fine.

With all that said, I'm of the opinion that we should restructure our center spine to include Reinhart at #2C (top 6), and Kahun as the #3 Center, and work on finding wingers that are buried on teams to complement the centers. I'm not looking at next year as a make it or break it season, as there may be a lot of turnover with how many spots need to be filled, and not to mention some spots/roles that need to be improved upon. Take the time this year, to work Reinhart at center, let him get comfortable there. You know he's a decent to good top 6 winger at the very least. If you could turn the top 6 production as a winger into a top 6 center, and have your 2 top 6 centers locked in friendly deals long term, then it's a bonus for your team development wise. If Cozens turns into an elite center during his development, then move Sam back at wing if needed. If you can't, then you still have a solid player. Same idea with Kahun as well. You have a decent winger at the very least. If you could turn that into a really good center, then more power to you.

Reinhart is going to be retired and people will still be saying, "They should try him at center next season."

While I would love to see them try Reinhart at 2C, I have no faith that it is something that the Sabres will try. They obviously feel that his best spot is at RW and they aren't going to try him at C.

They would likely rather rush Cozens than try Reinhart in that spot. I mean, they felt MoJo out of position at C was a better option than Reinhart at C...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And what I'm saying is that there isn't a realistic chance that the Sabres would be able to outbid every other team in the league if TB puts him on the trade market.

If he is available, teams like Ottawa and NJ have way more draft picks to throw TB's way in the event that they just want help with the cap and will take futures back.

But, I bet they find a way to move one or two of the overpaid forwards with NTCs and their cap issues get resolved that way.

That is how quality teams like TB work through these issues. They don't give away high quality young players.
I agree that the competition for it will be quite large, but not all teams can offer top 10 draft or elite prospects, and Tampa will not require another. I’m not sure that New Jersey will want to give up its high choice and good prospects for Cirelli, they have Hughes and Hischier in the center, Ottawa may be yes, but they would probably be more interested in Sergachev or Cernak. At least Adams should at least try to find out the price and probe the soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad