Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Victor Soderstrom, D

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Soderstrom just put up 7pts in 44 games in the SHL, not too many 17yr olds are in that position and he started playing 2nd pair minutes as a 17yr old. I don't hate the player, I hate the fact we didn't use the pick to upgrade the offense.

Plus, I thought it was bad asset management to lose the 2nd round pick to move up. Especially since Krebs/Caufield/Newhook were still on the board.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The team scouts had Soderstrom as their guy. I was actually shocked the Canucks didn't take him at 10.

I highlighted forwards in my draft list but If your scouts think this kid is special then I'm okay for giving up the second to get their guy. It's a ballsy move and one we should judge Chayka's going forward (Similar to the high expectations we all set for Hayton after the last draft - which he exceeded).

I also suspect we may take on a contract to get our second rounder back tomorrow. Should be a fun Saturday.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Westerlund scored 2pts in the SHL and he's 2yrs older. No comparison whatsoever
Didn't Westerlund log more minutes than Dahlin? Wasn't that one of the talking points that year?

Means nothing to me. Both are "okay at everything; great at nothing" Swedish Dmen. That's enough reason to pass up "the chance" to move up at the cost of our second to grab him.

Again, it doesn't mean Soderstrom os doomed. Just that we are terrible at asset management and nothing about our talent evaluation history convinces me Soderstrom will be the exception to our rule of mediocrity.o

Like someone else said, "he's a fine pick at #18"

Reactions: Yandover

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Soderstrom was on my “do not draft” list for both the Flyers and the Coyotes. This list of mine was only 2 players long. I’m disappointed.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Stop statwatching and check them out sometime. They are very similar players.

Bud, I have watched plenty of both Soderstrom and Westerlund. They are not the same, not in the least. Soderstrom is shifty in the O-zone and can actually deke by players to create scoring opportunities. Westerlund has 'zero' offensive upside. He has 'zero' chance to make the NHL, none, zero, zilch.

Soderstrom will be a pro within 2yrs and he will be a very good player for us. Soderstrom is Brodin.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Bud, I have watched plenty of both Soderstrom and Westerlund. They are not the same, not in the least. Soderstrom is shifty in the O-zone and can actually deke by players to create scoring opportunities. Westerlund has 'zero' offensive upside. He has 'zero' chance to make the NHL, none, zero, zilch.

Soderstrom will be a pro within 2yrs and he will be a very good player for us. Soderstrom is Brodin.
Quit posting stats as a reason a player is better than another and maybe you’ll be taken more seriously next time, bud.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well Soderstrom did put up an impressive seven points, so I can see the reason for your optimism if you happened to catch all of them...

Reactions: Jormungandr

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Athletic’s Corey Pronman on the pick:

11. Arizona Coyotes: Victor Soderstrom, D, Brynas-SHL

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 176 pounds
Soderstrom started the season in junior but quickly moved up to the SHL level, logging significant minutes and getting power play time as a 17-year-old. Soderstrom is a great puck mover, showing high-end IQ moving the puck and ice in his veins under pressure. Sometimes he’s a little too calm, letting guys close in on him and trying to be too cute, but typically he’s efficient on zone exits. He’s smooth with the puck, but has very quick hands, and is able to make plays through defenders from a standstill and off the rush. There were several times this season his game popped with a wow-caliber skill play. For a smaller guy, his game could have more speed. His skating looks fine when he winds up and get going, but he lacks explosiveness and doesn’t have a ton of pace in his game. Despite his size, he’s a good defender. He closes gaps very well due to his IQ, using his body and stick to break up pucks, and makes a lot of stops.

Sweden’s U18 coach Magnus Havelid on Soderstrom: “He’s a skillful offensive player. He moves the puck very well. He’s a leader.”

Team Fit: In Soderstrom, the Coyotes add a highly skilled and intelligent defenseman to their system, a player who showed very well versus men this past season as a 17-year-old. He was a tough player to evaluate, as he barely played versus his peer group or in international play, but a lot of teams were big fans of his skill set. With his experience and success versus men, he’s a player who is likely not that far away from playing in the league.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well Soderstrom did put up an impressive seven points, so I can see the reason for your optimism if you happened to catch all of them...
OEL did not even play in Swedish first division his draft year. And go back to that thread on the level of outrage people had back then.

I remember seeing him in person at a world junior pretournament game and people were flbergasted that I indicated that the 18 year old OEL could likely crack the AZ blue line then.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dan Focht, Kelman, Podelsek, Sjostrom, Koeis, Eager, Samuelsson

All had the "not great at anything, but has a really high floor"-label.

Kiss of death for Coyotes ' draft day.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
OEL did not even play in Swedish first division his draft year. And go back to that thread on the level of outrage people had back then.

I remember seeing him in person at a world junior pretournament game and people were flbergasted that I indicated that the 18 year old OEL could likely crack the AZ blue line then.
So then isn't a Dahlin, OEL, Westerlund comparison a great case that playing more minutes in the SEL doesn't actually mean anything for a player's future?I
OEL didn't. Westerlund did. Dahlin played less than Westerlund. Soderstrom played more than Westerlund.

What makes Soderstrom likely to bust that mould? And again, I'm not saying Soderstrom isn't much better than Westerlund or is a bust, etc. I just think this was an awful move. Especially because we could have a Krebs and be looking at trading up in the second to nab another faller. Now we don't even pick in that round. It looks dumb no matter how we slice it.

I would trade Soderstrom in a heartbeat for an established scorer as well, so that's a double whammy looking at all the opportunity costs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So then isn't a Dahlin, OEL, Westerlund comparison a great case that playing more minutes in the SEL doesn't actually mean anything for a player's future?I
OEL didn't. Westerlund did. Dahlin played less than Westerlund. Soderstrom played more than Westerlund.

What makes Soderstrom likely to bust that mould? And again, I'm not saying Soderstrom isn't much better than Westerlund or is a bust, etc. I just think this was an awful move. Especially because we could have a Krebs and be looking at trading up in the second to nab another faller. Now we don't even pick in that round. It looks dumb no matter how we slice it.

I would trade Soderstrom in a heartbeat for an established scorer as well, so that's a double whammy looking at all the opportunity costs.

I didn't have Westerlund as a first rounder his draft year. We also didn't take him in the first round.

I can only go off of what I've seen. My views were limited of Soderstrom. What I did see was a top 4D with excellent skating. He projects well as a pro. He wasn't in my top 15. I'm not sweating the pick. I get concerns about trading up. That being said he was rumoured to likely go in the top 10 so I'm not going to get upset that he went at 11. He's a very good prospect.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Just need a couple of guys up front to ping pong the puck off of. That’s how you score on the PP these days anyway.
Probably should have gone for Krebs or Boldy then because we don't have anyone with size, balls, and hands either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad