Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Victor Soderstrom, D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t think he is a bA guy and he will be moved this summer. Just my opinion.
Probably means nothing but I noticed at the practice in Gilbert that Shane Doan was glued to Soderstrom. Spent a lot of time with him. Feeding him pucks for one-timers, and really just goofing and joking with him. Pumping tires. Again, probably means zero. But I made a mental note of it for some reason.

Personally I think he has improved since his last stint. Much more physical in the sense that he isn’t shying away from contact. Decision making looks to have adapted to the speed of the game fairly well. I’d like to see more games before judging him further but I do like what I’ve seen so far.
When @Grimes came over to watch this draft with me, a Soderstrom hype piece came on and I said, “this is the only kid in our range I really don’t want”. Reason being he is pure vanilla. Average size, no skills that pop, just a quiet all arounder, nobody can really pinpoint what specifically about him makes him great.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s changed.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How is he projecting? Steady 2 way #3? Depth fill in?
The problem Soderstrom has are the expectations that were set on draft day when our then GM famously informed Coyote fans that they had Soderstrom in their top 3 that draft year. He’s looking more and more like a top 4 D guy. I wouldn’t want to raise the bar of expectations any higher at this point.

Last edited:

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
How is he projecting? Steady 2 way #3? Depth fill in?
I would say a steady 2-way #4 dman who can play on the 2nd PP unit. Personally I wish he was a bit taller, but he is not undersized IMO. He is not a liability out there, but also not a game-changing type talent... at least up until this point.

Very average / vanilla... which at this point in his development isnt a bad thing.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would say a steady 2-way #4 dman who can play on the 2nd PP unit. Personally I wish he was a bit taller, but he is not undersized IMO. He is not a liability out there, but also not a game-changing type talent... at least up until this point.

Very average / vanilla... which at this point in his development isnt a bad thing.
His lack of height may be why some fans believe BA may look to deal Soderstrom at some point sooner rather than later. Right now he has limited trade value but in a year or two? on a side note, what is Valimaki going to be worth at the deadline with his $1M contract and stellar play? I know I shouldn't toss that out there but.....

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
His lack of height may be why some fans believe BA may look to deal Soderstrom at some point sooner rather than later. Right now he has limited trade value but in a year or two? on a side note, what is Valimaki going to be worth at the deadline with his $1M contract and stellar play? I know I shouldn't toss that out there but.....
Yea if it was up to me I'd try and resign Valimaki. He will be in his mid to late 20s when the Yotes are looking to be competitive and push for the playoffs. With their thin defense pipeline I would keep him if possible.

Reactions: hbk and Bonsai Tree

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yea if it was up to me I'd try and resign Valimaki. He will be in his mid to late 20s when the Yotes are looking to be competitive and push for the playoffs. With their thin defense pipeline I would keep him if possible.
I don't disagree. It will come down to arbitration comparables and the ask from the player and agent versus budget though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad