GDT: 2018 World Junior Discussion (OILERS PROSPECTS)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was in his spot on the second US goal. The defenseman had to commit to him which opened up the lane to the front of the net. But he wasn't much in terms of creative offensive plays.

He was drafted 22nd overall. This is a kid we're going to have to be patient with. People pencilling him into depth charts next season are getting a little ahead of themselves.
Id hope he would be at least as good as he was this year. He doesn't even look like the same player. Kid is still 2-4 years away from the NHL.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Yamamoto looked, well he looked like nothing, invisible. Behind the play. Never in a good spot. No hustle. Picking a player that small is always risky as if they dont score they are useless. Hope he bounces back in a big way.

Not sure I agree with your assessment, I like how he wasn't on the perimeter, threw a few hits and thought he was around the puck a ton. They all looked like they were skating in quicksand with the amount of snow on the ice.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Id hope he would be at least as good as he was this year. He doesn't even look like the same player. Kid is still 2-4 years away from the NHL.

Yeah, he's definitely going to benefit from a year in the minors. Hopefully the Oilers don't have him pencilled into the lineup next year, going to need at least a 1 year stop gap.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Watching Yamamoto play, it's unbelievable to me how he managed to score 42 goals in the WHL last year.

3 games into this tournament, and I can't think of a single moment where I thought "Wow, that was a skilled play by Kailer!". He does some good things and he's pesky to play against, but right now he looks more like a 3rd line annoyance than a top 2 line danger the other team has to worry about.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Watching Yamamoto play, it's unbelievable to me how he managed to score 42 goals in the WHL last year.

3 games into this tournament, and I can't think of a single moment where I thought "Wow, that was a skilled play by Kailer!". He does some good things and he's pesky to play against, but right now he looks more like a 3rd line annoyance than a top 2 line danger the other team has to worry about.
it happens to all players ,one season they are dominate the next season they are have bad scoring slump.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Agreed. He looks terrible imo. He looks like a marginal 1st rounder at best. And to think many thought he should stick in the Show is funny

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

I'd agree with this. He is a non factor on that US team and has basically been a non factor since his return to the WHL. Opposite of what he was supposed to do going back. Very disappointing frankly. Taking a flier on a 5'7 player is just that - a flier. There's a reason why there's only a few tiny guys playing in a mans league. Going to be a seriously uphill battle for him to ever make the show if he keeps this effort up.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I find I actually very depressing watching so many other teams propects flourishing in this tournament and the Oilers having so few contributors.... The WJC would be so exciting if we had a couple studs playing. Sad seeing CGY and WPG plYers playing key roles, seeing goalies that were available to be picked And passed on... The oilers pipeline is basically completely dry - has to be the worst in the NHL. Unreal considering all these years of drafting so high. So many wasted picks past round 1 nevermind the round 1 disasters.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I find I actually very depressing watching so many other teams propects flourishing in this tournament and the Oilers having so few contributors.... The WJC would be so exciting if we had a couple studs playing. Sad seeing CGY and WPG plYers playing key roles, seeing goalies that were available to be picked And passed on... The oilers pipeline is basically completely dry - has to be the worst in the NHL. Unreal considering all these years of drafting so high. So many wasted picks past round 1 nevermind the round 1 disasters.

Oilers best eligible player for this tournament is playing in our top line. Can’t be disappointed for that thing at all.

Reactions: oilers'72

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

The toughest part for me is seeing it's the same teams every year with a new crop of dynamic talent - the Blues and Lightning always seem to have guys taken in later rounds that are major players in this tournament.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Samorukov looks half decent.

Ostap looking decent.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Samorukov looks half decent.

Ostap looking decent.

Exactly. Things aren't that bad. Drafting has been much better under Bob Green. Part of the romance of the WJC is that a good chunk of these players likely won't become big name NHL players anyway. Member Patrice Cormier, Jason Botterill, Justin Pogge, etc.?

Benson should be playing for Canada, Maksimov should probably be playing for Russia, but they like to limit their amount of CHL guys.

Puljujarvi is still eligible as well.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but Rasanen doesn't have a strong/weak side taking faceoffs. He flips his stick around and takes them as if he were left handed when he's on that side of the ice. Its really interesting to watch, and if he can keep it up and have the same success that could be very useful for the team down the road.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad