GDT: 2018 World Junior Discussion (OILERS PROSPECTS)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Another goal for Rasanen, ties the game at 1.
Rasanen's an interesting prospect. He's not an outstanding skater and he doesn't strike me as being overly talented, but he looks like he has good hockey smarts and knows what he's doing in front of the net on the PP. He just plants himself in front of the goalie and makes himself a nuisance. He's also an elite faceoff man at this level, averaging over 64% in the tournament so far.

Possibly someone to keep an eye on in future for a bottom 6 role on the Oilers. 4 goals and counting at the WJHC isn't too shabby, certainly more than I expected out of him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rasanen's an interesting prospect. He's not an outstanding skater and he doesn't strike me as being overly talented, but he looks like he has good hockey smarts and knows what he's doing in front of the net on the PP. He just plants himself in front of the goalie and makes himself a nuisance. He's also an elite faceoff man at this level, averaging over 64% in the tournament so far.

Possibly someone to keep an eye on in future for a bottom 6 role on the Oilers. 4 goals and counting at the WJHC isn't too shabby, certainly more than I expected out of him.

He's a potential Letestu replacement, in time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't find it odd that the tourney isn't as big as it use to be, but I'd think in Buffalo itself there would be more buzz.

Their past two first rounders are playing, with Mittelstad leading the tourney. Then there is #1 Dhalin who could very well be their savior on the back end.

Just seems odd their isn't better attendance based on what Buffalo has invested in this tourney. Add that the Sabres aren't good and you'd think people would want to go.

Then again if you have all that and people aren't coming, maybe you need to start slashing ticket prices.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Alternatively, I've not been very impressed with Safin at this tournament, regardless of the article on the Oilers page trying to pretty it up as him showing a "complete" game:

FEATURE: Safin showing complete game at World Juniors

Button made a point of mentioning during the 1st period of this game that Safin started the tournament on the Czech's 1st line, and is now on their 4th line. The one good thing he's done so far in this game is make a strong move to the net that drew the penalty that the Czechs scored their 1st goal on.

Otherwise, he just looks like a big lazy Euro that has strong puck skills but shows little effort in getting the puck back when the other team has it. I'm much higher on Maksimov than I am on Safin for sure.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly if that Swiss coach was Russian I'd have to think he'd be "disappearing" in the next few days.

I can't believe a coach could be so stupid with his comments in the media. Taking shots at a particular birth year has to be one of the worse things I've heard.

A country that struggles as it is to compete and the coach comes out and pretty much makes it sound like they shouldn't even have a team. Good way to build your countries hockey program

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Even though Russia lost, I liked what I saw from Samorukov on D yesterday. He looked poised and confident with the puck, and it appeared to me like the Russian coach warmed up to him as the tournament progressed as he seemed to get increased ice time and was out on the ice yesterday when the goalie was pulled. Also made a tremendous fake shot/pass from the point that deserved to tie the game in the dying minutes, but the Russian forward deflected it off the post.

As for Yamamoto, IMO he's looked a fair bit better these past couple of games, especially yesterday where he scored a hard working goal and was passing the puck well all game. He was looking a lot more assertive than he had the first 2-3 games, and looked more like the player we saw during training camp and the first few games in the regular season.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It was cool to see Rasanen lead Finland in goals

A good article about Rasanen:

FEATURE: Rasanen gives Finland 'muck and grind' game

In the article he pretty much perfectly describes how he plays the game:

"It's nothing too flashy. No highlight reel goals, just grinding in the corners and having a net front presence, playing a good 200-foot game and winning face-offs," he said. "That's my game and if there are some goals or assists on top of that, that's always great."

Someone to keep an eye on, unlike a lot of young players he has no delusions of what he needs to do in order to succeed at the pro level. To me he looks like one of those guys that'll make the NHL and play at least a couple hundred games there, ahead of others with more talent but less dedication.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A good article about Rasanen:

FEATURE: Rasanen gives Finland 'muck and grind' game

In the article he pretty much perfectly describes how he plays the game:

"It's nothing too flashy. No highlight reel goals, just grinding in the corners and having a net front presence, playing a good 200-foot game and winning face-offs," he said. "That's my game and if there are some goals or assists on top of that, that's always great."

Someone to keep an eye on, unlike a lot of young players he has no delusions of what he needs to do in order to succeed at the pro level. To me he looks like one of those guys that'll make the NHL and play at least a couple hundred games there, ahead of others with more talent but less dedication.
I see him as a better Letestu imo. Well at least a bit more potential.

Showcor3

Sep 27, 2017
E-town, Berta

Strikes me as a 3rd line center with pk ability

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Their past two first rounders are playing, with Mittelstad leading the tourney.

A bit OT but I have to say this Mittelstad has looked very good every time I've seen him in the WJC. I am very surprised if he won't turn out to be a great player at the NHL level one day. Too bad he isn't our prospect but can't have them all I guess.

Reactions: ujju2

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
That was the most uninspired canadian team I've ever watched and surely didn't deserve to win that game. Dump and chase and lose battle every time they had the puck on their stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad