GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 12 • Group A: CAN (3) - USA (4) F/SO

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
USA doesn't send it's best team to the Ivan Hlinka.

Right, they send their B team. Just like Canada sends their B team to the Under 18 World Championship.
The true test would be the US under 18 WC team against the Canadian Hlinka team. Let’s see it.
And I know, the US under 17 team wins gold most years too. Until Canada stops splitting their team by region or into 3 colours, we won’t know who the best team is there either.
I applaud the Americans development program, and their emergence onto the World Junior stage. Still waiting for them to overtake Canada in the hockey landscape. Still no contest.

Had a blast yesterday. Americans sure know how to maximize their game day experience. Can you imagine open fires and open alcohol in parking lots in Toronto or Montreal before a game? Lmao

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Yep time will tell, things like that take time but it appears that USA hockey is beginning to produce consistently good players.

True enough.
Let’s hope since there’s no NHL’ers in this Olympics that the next World Cup is strictly best on best with no gimmicks. The US with Eichel and Matthews will be fun to watch.
Still no Team Canada with McDavid tho. ;)

Reactions: Master P

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hahaha what does this even mean?
What has a few WJC golds translated to?
Olympic gold? No
World Cups? No
World championships? No
We heard the same song and dance after the ‘96 World Cup.
The American domination is coming. Right.
Congrats on your shootout win.

Well those last 3 WJC gold medals only happened in the last 8 years. If you compared US vs Canada at the ~U25 level I think there is a pretty compelling case to say that the US could put out the better team.

If there is a 2020 World Cup that is true best on best I think the US team could arguably be the favorites. Same with the 2022 Olympics.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You are joking right? Canada / Canadian fans throw their country pride in the face of Americans all the time... everywhere whenever hockey is around. Its sickening.

GO USA BABY!!!
Only because Americans do it nonstop. About everything.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
giphy.gif

Bald eagle has let itself go.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well those last 3 WJC gold medals only happened in the last 8 years. If you compared US vs Canada at the ~U25 level I think there is a pretty compelling case to say that the US could put out the better team.

If there is a 2020 World Cup that is true best on best I think the US team could arguably be the favorites. Same with the 2022 Olympics.

I hope so.

I can’t remember the last time a best-on-best Team Canada wasn’t the overwhelming favourites.

It would be refreshing to play the underdog for a change.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Just back from Christmas travels and couldn't wait to comment.

The IIHF should be embarrassed about this travesty in Buffalo. Any organization that puts their profit motive ahead of their product and the safety of the people involved needs a good slap in the head or a big-time lawsuit. Unreal that they would play a game in the World Championship game in such a way. Hockey Canada and USA Hockey should refuse to ever participate in such a pathetic and harebrained scheme again.

I would hope that NHL players would have walked off the ice and refused to play. At least they get paid the juniors don't. These kids supply free labour so that these pricks can be kept in cigars. The greed involved in this situation makes my blood boil.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the third period and watched two players trip in ruts or holes in the ice and fall. Luckily neither were hurt, both could have torn up their knees, broken their necks falling into the boards or been seriously concussed. Look at the play here Dube was injured, just beyond belief.

When they first announced this game I was incredulous that they would actually go ahead. Mr. Fasel you owe everyone involved an apology and the promise to never ever again put your greed ahead of player safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: nucks88

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
As a Canadian from what I saw the US was clearly the better team. I don't know what happened to them against Slovakia but they rebounded today. I picked them to repeat as gold medalists and still think they will.

The US has better speed, puck control and desire than Canada. That's been evident the last few years at many under 18 and under 20 tournaments. Granted their players have a familiarity with each other because of the USNTDP.

The golden age of Canadian hockey has ended folks.
In 10 years we'll be hearing the chants USA USA a lot more.

While I don't disagree with what you say I think it only fair to point out a couple of facts. The USA is missing one top player this year, Canada is missing 5 (Girard, Patrick, Chychrun, Jost and Dubois). I'm sure that many people on this site are tired of me pointing this out however the NHL and the AHL are providing an advantage to the USA in terms of dual citizen players or offspring kids that grow up in the USA. Not just Canadians but Europeans as well.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
One last thought. Competitive hockey moved indoors for a reason. f*** this outdoor shit unless it's the beer league.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
That game was an absolute blast. The amount of complaining in here is absurd.

It was a group stage game. Both teams will move on. Fans there loved it. The players loved it. Yet people still find a way to call it the biggest tragedy in the history of the world.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
That game was an absolute blast. The amount of complaining in here is absurd.

It was a group stage game. Both teams will move on. Fans there loved it. The players loved it. Yet people still find a way to call it the biggest tragedy in the history of the world.

Why would the players say anything they are just kids.

I suggest we play the next Super Bowl outdoors in Dubai in the sand. The fans will love it.

Reactions: nucks88

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Why would the players say anything they are just kids.

I suggest we play the next Super Bowl outdoors in Dubai in the sand. The fans will love it.

Just ignore the fact that I said that it was a "group stage game." If it's a final I would agree that it's not appropriate.

And somehow we should just ignore the kids saying they had an amazing time and will have the memory for the rest of their lives. Right.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Just ignore the fact that I said that it was a "group stage game." If it's a final I would agree that it's not appropriate.

And somehow we should just ignore the kids saying they had an amazing time and will have the memory for the rest of their lives. Right.

Serious question, I'm not being a smartass or wishing to insult you but have you played any hockey?

The chances of one of these kids spending the rest of his days in a wheelchair were much higher than in a regular game (not to mention the loss of income).

It is irrelevant whether this was the group stage or the gold medal final.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Serious question, I'm not being a smartass or wishing to insult you but have you played any hockey?

The chances of one of these kids spending the rest of his days in a wheelchair were much higher than in a regular game (not to mention the loss of income).

It is irrelevant whether this was the group stage or the gold medal final.
Yes I have. Including outdoor hockey. And that is honestly a ridiculous thing to say. But you do you.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yes I have. Including outdoor hockey. And that is honestly a ridiculous thing to say. But you do you.

I grew up playing outdoor hockey exclusively.

Since you play the game then I don't see why it's so difficult for you to accept the fact that the ice was crap yesterday and made playing conditions far more dangerous than they needed to be. More than one high calibre player has lost his career to bad ice.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Your drinking to much whisky you devil:naughty: I think I might have one too!

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
While I don't disagree with what you say I think it only fair to point out a couple of facts. The USA is missing one top player this year, Canada is missing 5 (Girard, Patrick, Chychrun, Jost and Dubois). I'm sure that many people on this site are tired of me pointing this out however the NHL and the AHL are providing an advantage to the USA in terms of dual citizen players or offspring kids that grow up in the USA. Not just Canadians but Europeans as well.

Every year including this one Canada has players on its team that are born raised and trained in the USA, I don't give a f*** who their father was, the fact is they are in all intense and purposes American hockey players. When the US takes Canadian born players they are called traitors by Canadians but somehow it's okay for Canada to include 'traitors' on its roster. Interesting. But if anything indicated the impending demise of the Canadian hockey program is the fact you need to include USA hockey trained players on your team. :laugh:

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

So Foote should only be allowed to play for the US then ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad