GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 12 • Group A: CAN (3) - USA (4) F/SO

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I hope the players and fans there enjoyed it because I didn't enjoy the game on TV. Puck bouncing all over, couldn't ring around the boards at all, Canadian coaches chitter chatting all day with the refs hoping for snow to build up even further and protect their lead (cmon you know its true), constant stoppages to clear the ice, the silly switching sides halfway through a period, terrible camera angle...etcetc. Not something you want to see in a tournament setting.
Far and away, the best thing about that mess yesterday was none of the kids suffered a serious injury. That's a pretty sad take from a should have been marquee matchup.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Hilarious how insecure the Americans are in this thread. Two straight wins against Canada in a shootout and you guys start showboating and saying Canada’s heyday is over. Truth is, your country is 10 times more populous and you still barely produce as many players. Let it sink in that a country less populous than California is producing as much talent as your entire country :laugh: you guys must be so proud...

Except that there's more registered hockey players in Canada than the US. Hockey is the main sport in Canada. It's where your top athletes go and there's very little competition from any other sport.
On the other hand, in the US our best athletes go to the NFL, the NBA, and the MLB. Even soccer takes a lot of them away from the pool.

The US only has 555,175 players. You're lucky that hockey is seen as a throwaway sport by most of Americans.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Oh ok. Got it. This is the game you're referring to, right???

"US wasn't close to as good as Canada"

Beats them 5-1

Hahahahaha
Ha
Hahahaha
Haha
Hahaha

They played twice and won 1 game each.

US got lucky in that game. Just because a dog crap team gets lucky doesn't make them better.

So yes I am talking about that game and yes the US wasn't close to as good as Canada.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Except that there's more registered hockey players in Canada than the US. Hockey is the main sport in Canada. It's where your top athletes go and there's very little competition from any other sport.
On the other hand, in the US our best athletes go to the NFL, the NBA, and the MLB. Even soccer takes a lot of them away from the pool.

The US only has 555,175 players. You're lucky that hockey is seen as a throwaway sport by most of Americans.

Could anyone imagine f***ing Marshawn Lynch playing hockey for one second?

Reactions: Insomniac99

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
USA outplayed Canada most of the game and deserved to win. Formenton's undisciplined chin music on Norris and Comtois penalty cost Canada the win.

Norris should have had a penalty as well, but that's just the way it goes , things get missed.
I think it was a good game despite the conditions and would have preferred the conditions not play a part in the quality of hockey we could have seen. Looking forward to the rest of the tournament

Go Canada Go.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Could anyone imagine ****ing Marshawn Lynch playing hockey for one second?

It would never get old watching him do this on a zamboni after Team USA motorboated Team Canada

marshawn-driving.gif

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They played twice and won 1 game each.

US got lucky in that game. Just because a dog crap team gets lucky doesn't make them better.

So yes I am talking about that game and yes the US wasn't close to as good as Canada.

Lol your replies literally got me smiling ear to ear. You can't fake this kind of disillusionment.

I guess by your logic, every USA victory over Canada has been lucky. We must be the luckiest hockey nation in the world.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It is just insane to think about if some of the better athlete's in the US chose hockey instead of football and basketball.
Its true ... been saying this for years. Need the icetime, practice, expensive equipment to get better though,,,
Football, Baseball you can work on a lot of skills with not very much. But athletically ... no question

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lol your replies literally got me smiling ear to ear. You can't fake this kind of disillusionment.

I guess by your logic, every USA victory over Canada has been lucky. We must be the luckiest hockey nation in the world.

Not really the luckiest nation in the world considering the wins are so rare.

I wouldn't say everyone is luck some are ref based.

And last night in the shoot-out it isn't like that took insane amounts of luck shoot-outs are luck based by nature so of course it came in to play when a vastly inferior team wins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If population was the deciding factor, China and India would be hockey powerhouses.

But...it's not. And they're not.

They easily could be if they actually, you know, played hockey.

If you don’t think population has an impact then I don’t know what to tell you.

Canada hits well above our weight in hockey because we are obsessed with the sport. If we had ten times our current population it would be interesting.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Not really the luckiest nation in the world considering the wins are so rare.

I wouldn't say everyone is luck some are ref based.

And last night in the shoot-out it isn't like that took insane amounts of luck shoot-outs are luck based by nature so of course it came in to play when a vastly inferior team wins.

The next 20-30 years might prove painful for you as Canadian dominance of the sport erodes somewhat. The US, Sweden, and Finland have all made great strides at the junior level and Olympic dominance (if the NHL ever returns) will be less of a given in the post-Crosby era. We've still got a ways to go but it's encouraging to see more parity among multiple nations with each passing year.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY

Canada hits well above our weight in hockey because we are obsessed with the sport.

The point is that population alone is irrelevant. The only relevant number is the number of people playing the sport in that country. Our 320 million people is not any sort of advantage over Canada in hockey because more people in Canada play hockey than the US.

If we had ten times our current population it would be interesting.

Yeah, and if we had 10 times the interest in Hockey in the US, Canada would never see another Gold medal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The next 20-30 years might prove painful for you as Canadian dominance of the sport erodes somewhat. The US, Sweden, and Finland have all made great strides at the junior level and Olympic dominance (if the NHL ever returns) will be less of a given in the post-Crosby era. We've still got a ways to go but it's encouraging to see more parity among multiple nations with each passing year.

Why would it be painful?

Canada is still producing more players than all the other countries combined, the top players are still mainly Canadian and we are still getting results internationally better than any other nation.

I know US fans have spent the last 30 years telling us to watch out, but until it actually starts happening on the ice I will be just fine.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009

Canada hits well above our weight in hockey because we are obsessed with the sport. If we had ten times our current population it would be interesting.

Population without context is meaningless. US is a diverse country where a small portion of the population has a rink in their town, is in a region where pond hockey is a possibility growing up, or even in a location where many people follow/ever hear about the NHL. A large population and stronger economy represent a threat, but it takes time to develop another sport and dominate on the global stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad