OT: 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Are you watching the Olympics?

• Total voters

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I understand not wanting to put the health of your players at risk, but in the long run having the very best hockey talent on display for worldwide audiences is good for the game long term. Many, many people only watch hockey during the Olympics. If they like what they see, might become NHL fans.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We somehow beat Canada at hockey AND curling on the same day.

Well, bye guys, it's been fun, but the world's ending!

Reactions: Murf

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The women's game was good last nice , congrats on the win. Not sure I understand reffing in the women's game but I don't mean that it effected the outcome, just have no idea what the rules are sometimes??? The shootouts goals were really good but I still really hate them. US was a deeper team than Canada and that really showed in OT. Canada shortened the bench to compete and looked gassed because of it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The women's game was good last nice , congrats on the win. Not sure I understand reffing in the women's game but I don't mean that it effected the outcome, just have no idea what the rules are sometimes??? The shootouts goals were really good but I still really hate them. US was a deeper team than Canada and that really showed in OT. Canada shortened the bench to compete and looked gassed because of it.

From what I understand the IOC rulebook is slightly different from the NHL one. For example, Poulin's shoulder to Decker's head would have been called in the NHL, likely with a misconduct, but IOC only allows for a five-minute major and only at the referee's discretion. I'm thinking the other penalties on both sides were down the same path.

I hated that it went to a shootout. Now that 3-on-3 hockey exists in the NHL, that's what they should have gone with. I despise shootouts in the Olympics, the soccer World Cup, anything that has final-level meaning to it.

...that said, the goals by Daoust and Lamoreaux make me wish they were playing for the Coyotes. Absolutely SICK mitts, and they make our recent efforts look as lazy and half-assed as we feel like they are.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Poulin one was bizarre as even if you ignore the head part checking is illegal anyway??? How was that not a body check???

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Uh huh. The NHL absence gives them an excuse, but let's see the media (and HFboards) reaction should Germany hold on.
You take HF Boards reaction as indicative of Canada??? Canada is much more concerned with how both curling teams got shut out rather than how our European hockey players are doing. I'm sure the Country would have celebrated a Gold medal but in reality there is few who will care that they don't win. NHL absence as an excuse?? It's literally why few people care.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
You're right, no one cares now...just heard 3 million Canadian TVs change the channel.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You're right, no one cares now...just heard 3 million Canadian TVs change the channel.
You are starting to make yourself look silly by stating that 3 million tv's are on right now(or just turned off) in Canada to watch this game. Not much more than that watched Sochi Gold medal game. I know it's fun to think you have turnabout as fairplay but you are out to lunch if you think Canada wil implode or start soul searching Klinkhammer et al can't win Olympic Gold.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
You are starting to make yourself look silly by stating that 3 million tv's are on right now(or just turned off) in Canada to watch this game. Not much more than that watched Sochi Gold medal game. I know it's fun to think you have turnabout as fairplay but you are out to lunch if you think Canada wil implode or start soul searching Klinkhammer et al can't win Olympic Gold.

I don't think Canada expected to beat Russia. We're talking abut losing to Germany.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't think Canada expected to beat Russia. We're talking abut losing to Germany.
I think Canada expected to beat everyone but the Country will be bothered little if they had lost every game. This isn't Nagano which had outrage and the National calls for a Hockey Summit.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Come back happening...TVs back on?
This is the first game I have watched of this Olympics, only up for this one as I played late night hockey and never sleep well after. I'm not a fan of the large ice or the international rules. When the NHL gets to this style of hockey(it's getting close) I will have watched my last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad