2018 whl bantam draft

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So the Oil Kings took Guenther, despite Lambos being the consensus #1 overall.

Anyone with the lowdown on Guenther? Why the EOK would go that direction instead of Lambos?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Look at the top 10 players and their birth locations and where they ended up. Most were taking by their home town teams. They really are guessing on where these kids will end up. You have a 5'8 Def player and a 6'2 player. who will be the better player in 3 years. All they can do is get a best guess. But at home they can keep a eye on their product. imo

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Look at the top 10 players and their birth locations and where they ended up. Most were taking by their home town teams. They really are guessing on where these kids will end up. You have a 5'8 Def player and a 6'2 player. who will be the better player in 3 years. All they can do is get a best guess. But at home they can keep a eye on their product. imo
Agree here. Will the 6'2 160lb player fill out or can the 6'2 195lb player develop their skating. Gambles all of them.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Great post. And I am on the opposite end. Our boy got cut from Peewee AA in Edmonton. There was politics involved to some degree, but we decided to tell him to get motivated by it. After one two years in the gym, he goes to club level, then MMAAA then MAAA and listed in the WHL. Our costs with training and fees (Not including the equipment which is same for both) is around $8000 per year.(That is base because if you travel extra or go to provincials you are out of pocket.)

I know of higher end players that get reduced rates to play in CSSHL. That means their fees are covered by those that are mid/lower level CSSHL players. Have we considered CSSHL, sure. But our opportunity came at the club level, and we are going to stay with the club. At MAAA in Edmonton, they have games at the same rink every Saturday and Sunday so the bunch of scouts are there every single game.

Club hockey has an issue in Bantam with top players migrating to the CSSHL, because you have to make a team on merit and money isn't the issue. I know of families near the start of the season get offered discounted spots just so they can get filled by the CSSHL teams. There are problems with both sides. Families just have to find the fits for themselves and hope their kids develop to the best of their abilities.

Totally agree. I dont think its as cut and dry as some seem to think. I couldn't afford the academy cost, but we made it work as that was what we deemed the best fit for our son. And yes, some higher end do get discounted rates and others "pay to Play", this is very true.
But we feel we did the right thing this season and our boy was drafted in the third round today, a lot having to do with his academy training.
We loved the program, but we are unsure of what he will be doing this year, so for us we have to get back to the drawing board and figure out what the best route would be. As said above, if there is no room for him on the prep midget team at the school he is at now. So do we play Elite 15's? Or do we make the move back to club hockey and try out for Midget AAA? I know we will think it through and hopefully do whats best for his development.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Best player goes 18th to Kelowna, the rich get richer, but hard to blame them when 17 other teams allowed Wong to drop that far.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Totally agree. I dont think its as cut and dry as some seem to think. I couldn't afford the academy cost, but we made it work as that was what we deemed the best fit for our son. And yes, some higher end do get discounted rates and others "pay to Play", this is very true.
But we feel we did the right thing this season and our boy was drafted in the third round today, a lot having to do with his academy training.
We loved the program, but we are unsure of what he will be doing this year, so for us we have to get back to the drawing board and figure out what the best route would be. As said above, if there is no room for him on the prep midget team at the school he is at now. So do we play Elite 15's? Or do we make the move back to club hockey and try out for Midget AAA? I know we will think it through and hopefully do whats best for his development.
I guess I know he is one of two kids, guessing the goalie. ;) Congrats, it is a long road. There is Elite 15s but club has MMAAA. It is only the really top 15 yo that play MAAA. Year before last our Lethbridge drafted players both played MMAAA. (Also if you don't have an advisor, I can recommend one.)

Reactions: Maddox

Steele

Jan 4, 2018
Suprised to see some of the names drafted. Since I'm from the St.Albert area, I went out to some of the CSSHL games this year. A couple kids from the NAX and Delta teams went undrafted, who I thought were surefire picks. Then I see some of the kids who I've never heard of because they played in a league with inferior competition. Any thoughts on why that happened?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Suprised to see some of the names drafted. Since I'm from the St.Albert area, I went out to some of the CSSHL games this year. A couple kids from the NAX and Delta teams went undrafted, who I thought were surefire picks. Then I see some of the kids who I've never heard of because they played in a league with inferior competition. Any thoughts on why that happened?
NAX had everyone drafted that was .5 PPG or more other than Jack Parker. Who was missed?

Steele

Jan 4, 2018
He’s not that small.

Attachments

• 3F012436-AD15-4FF1-949D-F38A3D2ABDF5.png
    3F012436-AD15-4FF1-949D-F38A3D2ABDF5.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 14

Steele

Jan 4, 2018
Have to remember some of these kids are physically more mature than others. Wouldn’t be surprised if a top pick this year turns out to one of those guys.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Have to remember some of these kids are physically more mature than others. Wouldn’t be surprised if a top pick this year turns out to one of those guys.
I don't disagree about size. All the kids develop vs their weaknesses. He just falls on the level of really small. Probably why he was passed up.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
a few other items on why some players did not get selected. Its possible they have already decided to go college if they are not a top 20 and they decided when they speak to the GM's will take a player less skilled , but more a of a% of playing in the WHL. over half the DGA Green was not selected, and either goalie. But this does leave the door open to attend any WHL camp they like or get invited too.

No Coach can teach two items. Size or heart. Many teams went with size since its a sure thing.
I would like to see how many players were drafted 5'9 and under. Then look and see how many were Def and Goalies, Those who were have enough heart to take a chance.

Heart is standing in front of your goalie , knowing you are going to get hit, speared, punched,
then You can really tell when the puck goes into the corners and who glides in and who skates the entire way. Those 3 extra strides make a difference.

You cant compare teams or leagues. If a goalie has great numbers , is it him or the def in front of him. According to the Scouts It was Delta Green Def. 6 of the 8 were selected and no goalies.
So look for a team where the goalies were selected with lower GAA. and few Def selected.

Yes it takes time. But with some detective work you can see what they saw.

NAX,RHA.YALE all had well balanced teams. DHA had Def , BWC had goalies and were either high picks or very low. in the end it really does not matter. ( but try telling the players who were high on WEHP and not selected)

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
World 03 Select Tournament update Both the Western Canadian and Pacific Selects lost in the Semi Finals. Not bad for 36 Teams around the world. The Finals are Russia ( Who played a few years back in the Miami Belle Tire Tournament and East Coast Ontario ( with a few from Little Caesars)

That Russian team is very good.

Thats all for the 03's.

Summer break

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Saw Degraves play a couple times and he's uber smart and skilled. He also looks like he's 10 years old, and is likely in for a major growth spurt. I gotta think it's college concerns, cause I can't imagine a team not taking a flyer in the 12th round or so.

04goaliedad

May 2, 2018
As a father of a kid in the CSSHL, for one season so far, I would agree that just the league itself does not set these players aside from the other clubs. We loved the program, loved the discipline our boy developed with the demanding daily schedule, loved the development, as well as the team dynamics. Education in our program was not any different or of a higher level than his previous school, although I hear there are some academies with a higher level of education. The program allowed our boy to excel, which he very may well have excelled just as much in his local club. I gotta say, the no evening hockey was a huge bonus! But the fact is, talent and skill is talent and skill, whether you are playing in a tumbleweed rolling town, or in the AMBHL, or the CSSHL. Its easy to reflect on this when you evaluate how many scouts are travelling all over the province (Country) to watch these kids. I can remember the season before last, my boy played for an Edmonton AMBHL club and an out of town team was visiting, a team where the scouts had the opportunity to watch them in Edm as it cut a couple hours of travel for them. This was one of the top teams in the league, there were easily 100 scouts at this game. They knew where the talent and skill were. As for CSSHL being a rich mans league, yes its costly but its not all the well to do making the commitment. Parents will do what it takes for their children, not just in hockey, in life. Many of us not so rich parents in the CSSHL made it work whichever way possible, to give the kids what they and the families felt was the best opportunity for development etc at the time. Am I a die hard CSSHL believer? Not really the case, but like I said above, my boy developed and grew in more ways I could have ever imagined in this league this year. Will we go back? Possibly, but it all depends on the opportunities he has with their midget program. If there isn't a spot for him on the midget prep team, he may tryout for midget AAA in the city.

Very well written!

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
Best player goes 18th to Kelowna, the rich get richer, but hard to blame them when 17 other teams allowed Wong to drop that far.

Did the rich really get richer? It's a long shot he'll ever play in the dub if he's already committed to a college.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yeah he's committed to Denver, and IF he ever shows up, it won't pay off for 3-4 years. And that's IF he does show.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah he's committed to Denver, and IF he ever shows up, it won't pay off for 3-4 years. And that's IF he does show.

As with WHL, BCHL and every other league including NCAA. At this age its a verbal only, Can not sign till 10th grade. Plus there is now another issue, since he made a verbal. the coach of Denver is now gone. So the Verbal does not mean anything. This part is of NCAA is no different, a Coach could love a player offer him the world. then the next day be gone, and the new coach could have a different agenda.

Who knows if he will still go to Denver. The World Select had over 45 Coaches from the NCAA all looking at players from Canada and the USA.

Men's Ice Hockey | 5/4/2018
Twitter@DU_Hockey
JIM MONTGOMERY NAMED HEAD COACH OF DALLAS STARS

Jim Montgomery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->