Blue Jays GDT: 2018 v1| Next: Sun, Apr 8 | @Tex | 3pm ET/12pm PT | Garcia vs Hamels

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Jacoby Ellsbury is another one. I drafted him in the first round after his 30-30 season he was an injured ravaged nightmare the whole season. He was 27 and looked like he was about to come into his own as a power/speed demon and has never remotely come close to those numbers. It was a real lesson.

I had Ellsbury when he had the 30-30 year.

Ike Davis I took two years in a row expecting him to breakout. Matt Moore was another player I almost always took.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not sure if you're watching the game with sound or not. But Buck and Pat said early in the year the Rangers bullpen has thrown a lot of pitches and Banister was trying to milk some innings out of Moore.

Ballsy move on a pitcher that's only averaged 6+ innings per start once in his career and even anecdotally has always felt like a quick-burning, high-pitch-count guy.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Alvarez and Hutchison never got the broader praise that the Rangers used to get for their pitching prospects.

Or the Orioles with Gausman, Hunter Harvey, Matusz, Bundy, Britton, and Matt Hobgood over the last few years (Hobgood being a little earlier than the rest)

True, but the premise of my post was really that one of the big problems with trying to build around arms is that they tend to breakdown far too quickly for a team to build any sustainable success.

Right behind the guys I mentioned were of course the lansing 3, Norris, Upper Deck, and Cardona.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Not sure if you're watching the game with sound or not. But Buck and Pat said early in the year the Rangers bullpen has thrown a lot of pitches and Banister was trying to milk some innings out of Moore.

No I do have it muted right now, that would seem to make sense as to why Moore was out so long.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
How do you 4 pitch walk Morales?

Last at bat Moore threw him 6 pitches all above the strike zone and Morales still managed to get out.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Ballsy move on a pitcher that's only averaged 6+ innings per start once in his career and even anecdotally has always felt like a quick-burning, high-pitch-count guy.

It's a "ballsy" move by a manager to try and get four innings or more out of his starter?

Moore is no ace, but I don't think it's completely nuts for Banister to try and milk a few innings out of him with a tired bullpen early in the season.

Should also note: Rangers don't have a day off until the 12th.

Then again, if they're tanking, just leave Moore in there to take one for the team.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Literally just have to stand there. These Rangers pitchers cant throw strikes. Facing 3 lefty starters in a row... could be a big offensive weekend for us on Saturday and Sunday too. Just need our pitchers to be good enough and it could be a good weekend.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
True, but the premise of my post was really that one of the big problems with trying to build around arms is that they tend to breakdown far too quickly for a team to build any sustainable success.

Right behind the guys I mentioned were of course the lansing 3, Norris, Upper Deck, and Cardona.

Cardona was a weird one. For all the (mild, but still) hype he got, he was always pretty bad. For basically the whole time he was in the system I liked Tirado more than him. Of course, the fact that I liked Tirado at all says a lot about my eye for random pitchers :laugh:

It's a "ballsy" move by a manager to try and get four innings or more out of his starter?

Moore is no ace, but I don't think it's completely nuts for Banister to try and milk a few innings out of him with a tired bullpen early in the season.

Should also note: Rangers don't have a day off until the 12th.

Then again, if they're tanking, just leave Moore in there to take one for the team.

It's ballsy for you to have much hope that you're going to get pen-saving innings out of a guy whose entire history is basically built around coming out of games early. Granted you can't really always pick and choose when you want or need to give the pen a day off, but one would think that knowing the pen needs some rest, and knowing that Moore is probably the last guy who you can expect to give them that, maybe they should've called up the Texas version of Chris Rowley or Todd Redmond or whoever so that you can have a longman come out of the pen and absorb the extra 2-4 innings that you're probably not getting from Moore.

Though I suppose Chavez probably already is that guy on their roster. That said, he also pitched 2 innings 2 days ago.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anybody know that that breaking news alert was? I was in the washroom and heard it come on Sportsnet and didn't hear the details. Seems really weird for a breaking news alert on a sports channel.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Anybody know that that breaking news alert was? I was in the washroom and heard it come on Sportsnet and didn't hear the details. Seems really weird for a breaking news alert on a sports channel.
I didnt see it, but I'm guessing it might be about the Junior team bus that crashed.

pretty sad.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

A junior hockey team's bus was involved in a serious accident, multiple fatalities.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Buck and Pat keep saying Colon will end up in this game to save the bullpen. Why not keep using Chavez if he keeps getting guys out? I know he pitched recently, but he has been a starter. Isn't it better to wear out one guy than a bunch of them?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
giphy-4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad