2018 UEFA Nations League

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Was their wall in the net?
Wasn’t a great strike by any means. Keeper misread it and was frozen.

Switzerland probably unlucky to be behind at the half.

Shaqiri best player on the pitch, Bernardo has been very good as well.

Joao Felix let down a couple of times by poor touches, particularly nearing halftime as a Ronaldo cross found him alone with the keeper but he skied it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wasn’t a great strike by any means. Keeper misread it and was frozen.

Switzerland probably unlucky to be behind at the half.

Shaqiri best player on the pitch, Bernardo has been very good as well.

Joao Felix let down a couple of times by poor touches, particularly nearing halftime as a Ronaldo cross found him alone with the keeper but he skied it.
Shaqiri seems like the type of player that needs to have a team built and playing for him in order to be at his best.

Surprising about Felix as his touch and composure are two of his best attributes, nerves?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Shaqiri seems like the type of player that needs to have a team built and playing for him in order to be at his best.

Surprising about Felix as his touch and composure are two of his best attributes, nerves?
Ya they are definitely looking to give the ball to Shaqiri and looking for him to be the catalyst at every opportunity.

Felix probably nervous. First cap and all. I could see him being replaced by Jota at some point in the second half.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Swiss appeal for a penalty at one end and while waiting for a stoppage in play for VAR, ref calls for a penalty at the other end. Goes to VAR and calls a penalty back at the other end in favour of the Swiss. Converted. Tied at 1-1.

I don’t think it was a penalty, even after watching the replay but the ref was quick to make the decision after he viewed it.

Trying to find a clip on twitter which hasn’t been posted, but twitter universe seems to also think the wrong call was made.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So basically Swiss shouldn't have had a penalty, but get one and it cancels out the penalty that would have been had as a result of the next play for Portugal?

That's fun.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So basically Swiss shouldn't have had a penalty, but get one and it cancels out the penalty that would have been had as a result of the next play for Portugal?

That's fun.
This was always one of the worroes about implementing video review.

Trips over his own leg too

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Decent game, the Swiss were a lot more competitive today than they were in that WC qualifier a few years ago where they pretty much parked the bus from the start

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
D8ZRBbiXYAEYRYa.jpg

Wondering if van Dijk and Wijnaldum will have a CL hangover for this game. The starting line-up is annoying. Babel and de Roon over other options (namely Promes, van de Beek and Vilhena) are pretty horrible. de Roon might be the slowest midfielder I've ever seen.

Still like the Netherlands to win it but having those two is going to hurt.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Don't judge him on these games. De Roon is a very serviceable CM, but he just doesn't fit in this Oranje when they already play with two CM's in Wijnaldum and de Jong. He's been very impressive in his role playing for Atalanta, who might lose him to Napoli during the summer.

That said, I think a midfield such as:

----------------- van de Beek -----------------
------------ De Jong - Wijnaldum -----------

.. makes much more sense.

I also think Stengs would've played where Babel plays now if he never got that season long injury. As good as Babel and de Roon have been for their respective squads this year, Oranje should aim for more quality, even if it means that quality is still very inexperienced.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
de Ligt and de Jong have been overrated (in terms of their current quality) based on this season and Ajax's run. They're super talents but are still far from currently elite.

Also I don't know that Cillessen has ever saved a penalty before.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
A very rare one. Not sure I caught him slipping like that this season. I think Oranje is the better of the two sides so far, but it's still close at 1-0.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
de Ligt and de Jong have been overrated (in terms of their current quality) based on this season and Ajax's run. They're super talents but are still far from currently elite.

Also I don't know that Cillessen has ever saved a penalty before.

de Jong has been playing really well though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
de Jong has been playing really well though.
Not really...he's dwelling on the ball a lot, gives a few really unsafe passes and has put them under pressure from doing it. Even the play leading up to the goal all the pressure on the backline was brought on by de Jong. Extremely talented but still takes a lot of time to make decisions sometimes and has a somewhat predictable pattern of play (and is very one footed).
They have been but it seems it's an outrage to claim it.
Is this in reference to my post?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Right.

De Jong and De Ligt are already among the top of their positions. This sudden surge of Ajax and Oranje isn't a coincidence.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not really...he's dwelling on the ball a lot, gives a few really unsafe passes and has put them under pressure from doing it. Even the play leading up to the goal all the pressure on the backline was brought on by de Jong. Extremely talented but still takes a lot of time to make decisions sometimes and has a somewhat predictable pattern of play (and is very one footed).

Is this in reference to my post?
Yes it is. I agree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad