2018 UEFA Nations League

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The reason this tournament exists is that people weren't spending enough money on tickets for friendlies, and TV companies weren't willing to spend enough money to purchase the broadcasting rights to friendlies. It's not a major tournament and won't ever be, but if it generates more attention than a random friendly match it's a win for UEFA.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I am trying to figure out, what exactly was the point for this tournament?

Money.
Seedings for the current EURO qualifiers.
Seedings for the next EURO qualifiers.
Playing remotely competitive matches against top teams (for out squad anyway), instead of friendlies away to Estonia in the middle of the winter.

Was plenty at stake really.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Narratives and realities are two different things.

As an example, look at the squad and lineups Low trotted out for Germany in these games (full strength) vs the one he brought to and played at the last Confederations Cup (B team).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There's a difference between having lineups and playing like a competitive games.
It was obvious most teams didn't care.
Especially in a WC year where the players were tired.
Where were France, Croatia or Belgium?
England took is somehwat seriously because any trophy is a trophy right now. And those were the final 4 teams in the WC.
It's no coincidence the team that took this seriously were the ones crashing early in the WC.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Where were France, Croatia or Belgium?

I think France and Croatia can be excused for not putting the effort in, especially in the early games.
Both teams were filled with players who played long seasons, some winning their leagues, some the CL, and then the WC final where one team left elated and one disappointed - but I imagine both equally empty.

I can only speak for Croatia, the boys were not ready for the Spain game (6-0 destruction), physically or mentally.
They also repeatedly downplayed the competition in the media, publicly favoring old friendlies where you can test players free of pressure and have your main players rested... Playing England in an empty stadium didn't help either.
They only looked more interested for the last 2 games, but by then they'd dropped 5 points and it was too late (even when they led 1-0 at Wembley, the team was dead tired and never seemed in control of the game).

So, IMO, I think the competition can be the "League Cup" of the internationals... It's more competitive than friendlies and I imagine if you do get to the semis you may as well try to win it.

There's a lot of pros there.

Cons? Two that stand out IMO.
- seeding system is too longterm... Imagine Germany wins the WC and the next EURO, but they start the next Nations League in Division 2 - meaning they can never be a top seed - ridiculous.
- no rest for the top players if the game matters at all... Guys like Rakitic and Modric (speaking just of the Croatian guys) desperately need that rest - but they didn't get it this time around

Reactions: gary69

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Netherlands was badly lacking a #9 in these games.
Thought the game was great, the Dutch were pushing as much as they possibly could, however you were right that there was no offencive threat. Depay was solid, but nobody in the box had the talent to read his crosses or make use of them. Netherlands are having an explosion of youth, but you're seeing that majority of it is in the defencive side of the game...perhaps we're seeing a modern day Greece 2.0.

I thought Bernardo was the best player on the pitch with VvD, solid pick in the fantasy draft with him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Netherlands have a lot of attacking talent coming up, they're just young right now. They're in a transitional phase which is made a little easier by the strength of their defence and the growth of their midfield. Once de Roon is no longer in there it will be even better.

Still can't help but be annoyed about how the Ziyech situation was handled, he should be playing for us.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Netherlands have a lot of attacking talent coming up, they're just young right now. They're in a transitional phase which is made a little easier by the strength of their defence and the growth of their midfield. Once de Roon is no longer in there it will be even better.

Still can't help but be annoyed about how the Ziyech situation was handled, he should be playing for us.
Not that I am doubting you're wrong, but that's what every nation says in the history of time. I don't doubt the Dutch producing quality forward options, but when I'll see it I'll believe it and if they do it won't be as good as last generations was. Defencively though, they should be a powerhouse, perhaps they need to park the bus as Greece did in the past to be able to qualify and win some trophies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that I am doubting you're wrong, but that's what every nation says in the history of time. I don't doubt the Dutch producing quality forward options, but when I'll see it I'll believe it and if they do it won't be as good as last generations was. Defencively though, they should be a powerhouse, perhaps they need to park the bus as Greece did in the past to be able to qualify and win some trophies.
They don't need to park the bus because their midfield and defence are/will be so good. Putting that finishing touch in the final 3rd is going to be more of a problem but they'll get there.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just to be clear here...the Dutch *should* be among the best 5 sides in Europe, so it's not like we should doubt that they'll have a very good team again or may in fact already have it. They've been in the elite for most of my life. The last few years really have been an aberration. A Dutch team that's a threat to make it to the latter stages of a major tournament is the normal.

Reactions: Ajacied

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad