U18: 2018 U18 WJC's Magnitogorsk & Chelyabinsk Russia.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm sure this was said tongue in cheek but I have seen the same thing said a few times on these forums and on social media. These kids have lived all or most of their lives in the United States so why would they want to represent another country?

This is only obvious to an American. Living in another country doesn't by default change your cultural ackground. If your parents have a cultural background that is. Parents of those guys obviously don't.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
This is only obvious to an American. Living in another country doesn't by default change your cultural ackground. If your parents have a cultural background that is. Parents of those guys obviously don't.

Excuse me but it is a ridiculous thing to say. Living in a country isn't the same as being born, growing up and spending all your formative years in said country. These kids go to school in the US, have all their friends there. Choosing to represent the US doesn't mean they don't recognise their roots and don't feel proud about where their parents came from.

And it certainly doesn't mean that their parents don't have a cultural background. That's just obnoxious. Cultural background doesn't equal nationality. It is only one part of what makes one person's identity.

Raymond Bourque wasn't a proud Canadian because Chris decided to represent the US? Same for Brian Bellows
or Cayden Primeau.

You think Ulf Samuelsson doesn't feel Swedish?

Please. Some people embrace the country they live in for a long time and make it their own. Even if their parents or themselves come from somewhere else.

In the US the descendants of Italian immigrants – who are like the 6th or 7th generation in the US – are proud of their roots and have developed their own culture as Italian-American for example.

I think having players with Canadian, Swedish, Czech or Russian origins who want to play for the US is an illustration of how great things can be built through embracing different cultures.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Almost 1/3 players from USA team was born in other country or is a product from Europe former players:

Jack Pivonka - Michal Pivonka
Oliver Wahlstrom - his father is from Sweden
Adam Samuelsson - son of Ulf Samuelsson
Mattias Samuelsson - son of Kjell Samuelsson
Bode Wilde, Cole Caufield and Jack DeBoer - Canada roots

Cant you have your own players? :sarcasm:

They were all born here and are citizens-correct?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Last year there were the games LIVE on Youtube. Maybe also this year.

One would hope. But as I said, for the U20 4 nations tournament, Hockey Russia decided to upload video only for Russian games. Whereas for the 5 nations U18 tournament in Hameenlinna, all games were broadcast. Only Russian exhibition games have been uploaded so far, that I've found.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

These kids appear to be the sons of immigrants to the US, so it wouldn't seem to make much sense for them to play for the country that their parents left.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They were all born here and are citizens-correct?

Does not change his point though, the U.S is practically the only country to benefit from this stuff and massively so, Canada a little bit but very little.

The European hockey countries are only now starting to have to deal with the sting of this, Canada has been getting nailed by it for ages now and in far bigger numbers of course, but European fans better get used to it because it is only going to increase.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Does not change his point though, the U.S is practically the only country to benefit from this stuff and massively so, Canada a little bit but very little.

The European hockey countries are only now starting to have to deal with the sting of this, Canada has been getting nailed by it for ages now and in far bigger numbers of course, but European fans better get used to it because it is only going to increase.

Well, maybe something needs to be done to entice these players to return to the homeland, marry native born women, and then develop their sons in their country of birth. Honestly, for Canadians who seem to also pride themselves on being a nation of immigrants this argument comes across as particularly disingenuous.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The games are on the website said to start "15:30 GMT+5". That is impossible to understand for me. Is that CET 11:30 (AM)? 19:30 (7.30 PM CET)?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The games are on the website said to start "15:30 GMT+5". That is impossible to understand for me. Is that CET 11:30 (AM)? 19:30 (7.30 PM CET)?

It's three hours ahead of swedish time. So 15:30 GMT+5 (Magnitogorsk) is 12:30 CEST (Stockholm)

Reactions: Ola

Babula

May 31, 2012
just a question regarding Jake Pivonka. if he will represent team USA on upcoming whc u-18, is he unable dress Czech jersey on any of IIHF tournaments in future ?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Excuse me but it is a ridiculous thing to say. Living in a country isn't the same as being born, growing up and spending all your formative years in said country. These kids go to school in the US, have all their friends there. Choosing to represent the US doesn't mean they don't recognise their roots and don't feel proud about where their parents came from.

And it certainly doesn't mean that their parents don't have a cultural background. That's just obnoxious. Cultural background doesn't equal nationality. It is only one part of what makes one person's identity.

Raymond Bourque wasn't a proud Canadian because Chris decided to represent the US? Same for Brian Bellows
or Cayden Primeau.

You think Ulf Samuelsson doesn't feel Swedish?

Please. Some people embrace the country they live in for a long time and make it their own. Even if their parents or themselves come from somewhere else.

In the US the descendants of Italian immigrants – who are like the 6th or 7th generation in the US – are proud of their roots and have developed their own culture as Italian-American for example.

I think having players with Canadian, Swedish, Czech or Russian origins who want to play for the US is an illustration of how great things can be built through embracing different cultures.

Well, one problem is that it's often not a matter of choice, Samuelsson borthers for example wanted to play for Sweden, same with Wahlstrom, but it's impossible because of IIHF regulations. Sweden barely managed to save Nylanders for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
just a question regarding Jake Pivonka. if he will represent team USA on upcoming whc u-18, he is unable dress Czech jersey on any of IIHF tournaments in future ?
Has to play 3 years in Extraliga and then, he can switch.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, maybe something needs to be done to entice these players to return to the homeland, marry native born women, and then develop their sons in their country of birth. Honestly, for Canadians who seem to also pride themselves on being a nation of immigrants this argument comes across as particularly disingenuous.
Sounds like a great idea, any suggestions you may have for us in accomplishing this would be greatly welcomed.

I understand why you and other American fans are so laissez faire about all this, after all, you are basically the only country in hockey that benefits from this and is rarely affected by it the other way around, not surprising you would be so pro for it and easy going about it all. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you, you are the clear and only winners by a landslide.

What i find disingenuous is when American fans talk about how it is no big deal or "they should marry Canadian girls" or that "it is a wonderful example of melting pot cultures" and all that jazz when i know full well that if it was them having to deal with this they would definitely be singing a different tune, you know it and I know it.

It's understandable how Canada and other countries aren't so crazy about how it all works for us though, we are the ones getting f***ed........................you aren't.

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
Has to play 3 years in Extraliga and then, he can switch.

haha.

in Communism, Dad had to play a number of years in extraliga so he could go to nhl and now it is eventually a democracy.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I've posted this before on these boards. The problem for me is that the USA has an unfair advantage over everyone else in terms of recruitment. The NHL presently has 31 teams, 24 are American. The AHL has 30 teams total and 26 of them are American. Easy to draw conclusions from those numbers in terms of dual citizens.

It's not really traditional immigration. Players are drafted by teams to apply their trade and play where they are sent. Sure they make their life in the USA, why wouldn't they?

All USA Hockey needs to do is throw some money at them.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1