U18: 2018 U18 WJC's Magnitogorsk & Chelyabinsk Russia.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
True, usually Canada v Russia games get good atmosphere on Russian soil.

How is this crop of U-18s for Russia?

For Canada, Lafreniere is probably the 1st overall pick at the 2020 NHL draft. The U-18s are tough for us because the CHL playoffs are still happening.
The CHL playoffs are happening for everybody. Svechnikov is in and they are leading 2-0 IIRC.

The perfect lineup would compete for gold, but there probably won't be the perfect one there too. Obviously some promising prospects there.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Canada's training camp roster was released yesterday. Can someone tell me why Alex Newhook wouldn't be included?

Newhook was omitted from the WJAC Team Canada West roster as well before he was hurt. Tried out, didn’t make it.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Ok, I was at the Team Canada Skate today.
From my vantage point there were about 20-25 scouts in attendance. I have a few observations from today. Remembering it’s only a practice and it’s early.

The best looking D on the ice was Smith. Poise, skill, patience and hockey sense.
Merkley looked good but it wasn’t game conditions so in drills defensively he was fine.
Tychonic looked ok, Bahl looked big and will be effective with big reach. The two 01’s looked a little in over their head a few times but came out looking good for the experience and Hlinka in summer.

Two forwards caught my eye.
McBain and 01 Dach.
McBain is a way better skater than I expected and worked as hard or harder than anyone. Getting out of the confines of OJHL looks good on him. Dach looked like someone who will dominate next year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes this team in a limited capacity. This will depend on who loses in CHL playoffs. Foudy has speed to burn and will be effective on large ice surface. McShane and Hillis looked Ok.
I was expecting to see more skill from Lafreniere but again he could be a bit nervous.
Could have been just today but Noel looked nervous falling and bobbling the puck many times.

Lines were for today

Lafreniere Dellandrea Noel
McBain Wauters Foudy
Fonstad McShane Hillis
Clarke Dach Krebs

Wasn’t entirely sure of D pairings.
That’s the skinny.
We’ll have to keep an eye on who gets eliminated and added on in the week to come. I got a lot of nice autographs too!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Any russia preliminary roster yet? I know they tend to wait until the last minute.

Extended roster for the U18 WJC:

GK
Daniil Isayev
Mikhail Isayev
Amir Miftakhov

D
Danila Galenyuk
Artemiy Knyazev
Anton Malyshev
Daniil Misyul
Nikita Okhotyuk
Alexander Romanov
Daniil Valitov
Yegor Zamula
Bogdan Zhilyakov
Daniil Zhuravlyov
Nikita Zorkin

FW
Grigoriy Denisenko
Pavel Dorofeyev
Ruslan Iskhakov
Alexander Khovanov
Semyon Kizimov
Yegor Kravchenko
Kirill Marchenko
Vladislav Mikhailov
Ivan Morozov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Pavel Rotenberg
Nikita Rozhkov
Nikita Rtishchev
Maxim Sorkin
Andrei Svechnikov
Oleg Zaitsev
Dmitriy Zavgorodniy
Alexander Zhabreyev

Known for a while now. Pending playoffs and injuries.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovak team lost to Östereich (Austria) 2:5! :mad:

Then 2 wins against Hungary. Both with 3:1. After every game the head coach was unhappy with forwards, not so many scoring opportunities and if, then very bad decisions.

Im feeling bad about this year.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Final roster for Czech Republic is out. Jan Šír and Jaroslav Brož were cut. Rest remains same like in post 43.

Rocklandbear

Apr 12, 2018
Rockland Ontario
The coaching staff of junior Russian national team does not consider the forward Alexander Hovanov as the candidate for team.
The junior World Cup-2018 will take place in Chelyabinsk and Magnitogorsk from April 19 to April 29.
Earlier coaching staff of Russian national team refused Grigory Denisenko, one of the strongest Russian forwards of 2000 of year of birth. Denisenko, Hovanov and Andrey Svechnikov played several years in the first three of national teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are the earlier games so early? I don't know who actually benefits from these game times.

Couldn't they have done back to backs? Start one at 6, the other at 9? How does 3:30 and 7:30 benefit anyone except the host country?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wooren

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
Slovak team lost to Östereich (Austria) 2:5! :mad:

Then 2 wins against Hungary. Both with 3:1. After every game the head coach was unhappy with forwards, not so many scoring opportunities and if, then very bad decisions.

Im feeling bad about this year.
We are more than likely to get regulated, only real excitement will be around cajkovic.
This is horrible year for Slovak hockey, why no knazko or hlavaj?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Swiss roster is out now as well:

Goalies (3): Stéphane Charlin (Genève-Servette HC), Luca Jan Hollenstein (EV Zug), Akira Schmid (SCL Tigers).

Defencemen (7): Guillaume Anex (Lausanne HC), Davyd Barandun (HC Davos), Nico Gross (Oshawa Generals / OHL), Mika Henauer (SC Bern), Janis Moser (EHC Biel), David Prysi (EHC Biel), Alessandro Villa (HC Lugano).

Forwards (13): Gianluca Barbei (EV Zug), Luca De Nisco (EV Zug), Gilian Kohler (Kootenay Ice / WHL), Julian Mettler (EHC Kloten), Valentin Nussbaumer (EHC Biel), Stéphane Patry (Erie Otters / OHL), Kyen Sopa (SC Bern), Jesse Tanner (Genève-Servette HC), Matthew Verboon (Genève-Servette HC), Mathieu Vouillamoz (Genève-Servette HC), Keijo Weibel (SCL Tigers), Gian-Marco Wetter (HC Davos), Simon Wüest (EHC Biel).

I have got to say I am a little dissapointed that neither Théo Rochette nor Noah Délemont got an invite. Their stats are better than those of half the players on this roster and they are 2 years younger than most of them. This could have been a good opportunity for them to gain some experience...

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
We are more than likely to get regulated, only real excitement will be around cajkovic.
This is horrible year for Slovak hockey, why no knazko or hlavaj?
Both Knazko and Hlavaj have been nominated I believe.

Swissfan5411

Dec 14, 2017
Swiss roster is out now as well:

Goalies (3): Stéphane Charlin (Genève-Servette HC), Luca Jan Hollenstein (EV Zug), Akira Schmid (SCL Tigers).

Defencemen (7): Guillaume Anex (Lausanne HC), Davyd Barandun (HC Davos), Nico Gross (Oshawa Generals / OHL), Mika Henauer (SC Bern), Janis Moser (EHC Biel), David Prysi (EHC Biel), Alessandro Villa (HC Lugano).

Forwards (13): Gianluca Barbei (EV Zug), Luca De Nisco (EV Zug), Gilian Kohler (Kootenay Ice / WHL), Julian Mettler (EHC Kloten), Valentin Nussbaumer (EHC Biel), Stéphane Patry (Erie Otters / OHL), Kyen Sopa (SC Bern), Jesse Tanner (Genève-Servette HC), Matthew Verboon (Genève-Servette HC), Mathieu Vouillamoz (Genève-Servette HC), Keijo Weibel (SCL Tigers), Gian-Marco Wetter (HC Davos), Simon Wüest (EHC Biel).

I have got to say I am a little dissapointed that neither Théo Rochette nor Noah Délemont got an invite. Their stats are better than those of half the players on this roster and they are 2 years younger than most of them. This could have been a good opportunity for them to gain some experience...

... Jeremi Gerber is injured

Last edited:

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Can't really complain about the nomination. Judging from the coach's comment on Jenik and his injury, I am cautiously optimistic he's gonna be ready.
Good to see some 01s in there as well. Teply isn't all that surprising, but Pytlik and Has are. Especially Has, there are 8 defensemen nominated and he's one of them. Assuming they plan to take 7 Ds, gotta think Has has a really good chance to make it.

EDIT: Forgot about Jan Dluhos. That's one player I would have expected to make the camp.
Just curious...do you consider Lauko the Czech Republic's top player and what other players who should we be looking at having a good tournament?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Leijonat.fi - U18 Pikkuleijonat jatkaa MM-leiritystään Venäjällä - Tämä joukkue matkustaa Tsheljabinskiin

Finland's camp roster in Chelyabinsk.

Goalies
1 Huhtamaa Jere, Blues Juniors Espoo
30 Patrikainen Jasper, Pelicans Lahti
31 Annunen Justus, Kärpät Oulu

Defencemans
2 Salmela Santeri, KooKoo Kouvola
4 Heinola Ville, Ässät Pori
5 Laitamäki Elias, Sport Vaasa
6 Thomson Lassi, Ilves Tampere
20 Kokkonen Mikko, Jukurit Mikkeli
25 Seppälä Peetro, KooKoo Kouvola
29 Nousiainen Kim, KalPa Kuopio
36 Honka Anttoni, JYP Jyväskylä
37 Utunen Toni, Tappara Tampere

Forwards
9 Kotkaniemi Jesperi, Ässät Pori
12 Aaltonen Leevi, KalPa Kuopio
13 Hirvonen Konsta, HIFK Helsinki
15 Nordgren Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
19 Killinen Lenni, Blues Juniors Espoo
21 Moilanen Jesse, Jokerit Helsinki
22 Lundell Anton, HIFK Helsinki
23 Petman Ville, Lukko Rauma
24 Ranta Sampo, Sioux City Musketeers
27 Tanus Kristian, Tappara Tampere
28 Siikanen Patrik, Blues Juniors Espoo
32 Suhonen Pekka, KalPa Kuopio
33 Kakko Kaapo, TPS Turku
34 Nevasaari Arttu, Kärpät Oulu
35 Immonen Severi, KalPa Kuopio

This isn't yet Finland's official U18 WJC roster.
Finland needs to cut 4 players before they can publish official U18 WJC roster.

Rasmus Kupari's parcipation to U18 WJC's isn't sure yet.
Kärpät and HIFK are still playing in sm liiga semifinals and series is tie 3-3 game 7 is tonight.
If / when Kärpät lose Kupari joins Finland's team if Kärpät goes to sm liiga finals Kupari probably miss U18 WJC's.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Oulun Kärpät goes to sm liiga finals.
Rasmus Kupari's participation to U18 WJC's looks highly unlikely

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad