2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Don’t follow CIS hockey too closely, so I have to ask. Is there a reason so many of the top OHL grads head east to play University hockey? Are they compensated better in the AUS than the OUA?

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I was surprised how physical McGill was...they played right on the line all game, probably crossing it a couple times. Curious if that’s how they played all year or if they were just getting frustrated?

That’s 9 straight losses by the OUA at the University Cup...0-3 in ‘16, ‘17, and now ‘18.

Excited to see the Alberta/Saskatchewan rivalry up close and in person tomorrow.

Yes, another very disappointing OUA performance.

The OUA has expanded too much in the past decade, thinning out the talent pool. Let's not forget that 15 years ago Western and UQTR were regularly winning the University Cup. What we are seeing the last 5 years is the result of adding Carleton, UOIT, Nipissing, and Laurentian to all recruit from the same group of Ontario-based players. Meanwhile, the AUS has not changed, nor has Canada West, save for adding MRU. The top OUA teams simply aren't deep enough any more, and that leads to mediocre teams getting hot and making it out of the playoffs.

Let's be honest here: McGill could have very easily won tonight. And while UNB manhandled Concordia 8-1, they also manhandled the AUS runners-up 11-3 in the Championship series. UNB and Alberta are at another level. It's a convenient narrative to say "UNB crushed Concordia because the OUA is terrible, but Alberta crushed Acadia because Acadia has a bad game, and that flurry of late goals made it respectable." The reality is that Alberta and UNB have long been in a league of their own. McGill is right there with Saskatchewan, St FX, and the other runners-up.

But, the real issue is that the OUA is so thinned out that it sends one team every year that has no business being at the University Cup. That was Brock this year. The OUA needs to cut teams, not add more.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I agree Mcgill could have won that game as well. It was pretty even and they hit 3 posts.

Im not sure that adding teams into the OUA has hurt them. You have to remember yes they may have the most teams but the conference represents Ontario and Quebec. Over 80% of Canadian Population is in those 2 provinces.

The OUA has been the weaker conference longer than 15 years. Yes UQTR and Western snuck a couple of titles in the early 00's. UQTRs winning team of 2003 was more lucky than the best. You would have to go back to Yorks back to back titles in 89-90 to find that last time the OUA was a serious threat. AUS and CW also dominated the 90s

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Personally Id love the 3 Quebec Schools to join the AUS. Dont think it would happen.

Today. UNB and X anything can happen. The Vreds are the better team but no one knows how to play UNB better than X does.

Great fan support from Saskatchewan here. I know Alberta dominates the Huskies each year at Clare Drake but will they in a one game showdown here?

I dont like the arrangements of brackets. Rather see UNB and Sask on one side with Alberta, X on the other

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Don’t follow CIS hockey too closely, so I have to ask. Is there a reason so many of the top OHL grads head east to play University hockey? Are they compensated better in the AUS than the OUA?
I have interviewed numerous OHL players over the years. Most often they say that they know the AUS is a strong conference and/or they have a buddy playing on the team that recruited them.

The OUA has a self-imposed cap on individual Athletic Financial Awards, while AUS and CanWest teams will try to go right to the max. I have never heard a player mention the potentially better dollars, but I suppose it is a factor.

More importantly, the AUS coaches are tireless recruiters, and appear to take recruiting far more serious than many OHL teams.

Finally, universities in the Maritimes are not near as selective as McGill and many Ontario schools -- it is easier for an average student to get into the academic program they want.

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
Prediction Time:

3-1 X
4-2 UofA

Let’s see what happens!! UNB May have pounded them in AUS final. But hockey has a weird way of coming full circle, and hockey karma is quite a bitch sometimes. Just seems like something that could happen based on X/UNB over the last 3 seasons. UofA will beat Sask, Huskies just don’t have what it takes, if Cooke was in net then maybe. But I see a Bears and X-Men Final.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A couple of points here. Yes, McGill could have won the game. Yes, UNB and U of A are top drawer teams. Yes, the OUA sends a weak team every year. But consider that a lot of AUS players come from the OHL. These players could have stayed "home" and played. Also consider that these guys are Student-Athletes, meaning that their main purpose in life is to get a degree, Not win hockey games for disgruntled fans. If a school decides that their hockey program is under-performing that school has the option to cut the program. I would like MY team to be better, but I'm still entertained watching the games knowing that 95% of these guys are at school to get an education and playing hockey is a bonus. I realize that I am in the minority with these thoughts.

Reactions: Hollywood3

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Two factors in todays semi final #1.
Marchand can be a big factor, but hasn't been sharp in the playoffs. To his credit, X has been outshot bad in many of their playoff games. I'm sure Peddle will want to change that and the importance of this game will bring out a better effort from those in blue and white, you can pretty much bet on that.
UNB will try to sustain puck pressure and dictate the pace, from there, it's anyone's game.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
UNB 6-2 over X...close game early, but as soon as UNB pulls away the penalties add up for Stfx

Sask 5-4 over Alberta....game of the tournament. Shaky goaltending by Alberta makes for a crazy back and forth game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I also thought before the game that McGill-Sask was a pick 'em, and in my view that is how it played out. Could have gone either way; obviously the closest match so far.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
UQTR and Western winning regularily?
UQTR did win in 2001 and 2003. That's 15 years ago. They also got smoked 11-0 at U Cup in Edmonton in 2005.
Western won once right?
It's kind of like the old joke about the Calgary Flames...how do you spell dynasty in Calgary...O...N...E...!
The AUS has top to bottom the toughest Conference, Alberta and Saskatchewan in the Canada West are consistently pretty good.
The McGill team we saw yesterday was on the level of the Calgary Dinos, but less disciplined.
I didn't need to see the 2 AUS vs OUA match-ups on Thursday, as I predidcted they were blow-outs.
As for Today I am sticking with:

UNB 4- X 1
Alberta 4-Saskatchewan 2

Cheers, Stauffer in Sunrise, FLA

Reactions: TB12

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Key for UNB will be their special teams...if they play St. FX at least even on those then I really like their chances.

The first goal will be massive as well. It always is obviously, but even more so against St. FX.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Perfect start for UNB on 1st power play of the game. Then a bad neutral zone turnover by Bennett led to X's transition goal. That was followed by a careless Bouden's trip in the offensive zone which gave St. FX their first power play and a 2-1 lead.
UNB's great start was negated by a turnover and a penalty. UNB has to play smarter!

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
UNB is hella undisciplined. And X has pretty much stopped playing/attacking. Will be an interesting last few minutes and potentially OT.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I thought the first call against Pomerleau was really bad. It was just a really good body check on his part.

The tripping call against LeBlanc was certainly legit but the X player may have milked it to get the 5 minute call. I don't think he missed a shift after he finally got to his feet after the call was made.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Love that the last 3-peat will still belong to the Bears team that won 3 in a row from 1977-78 to 1979-80!

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Hate to see officials play such a role in a National Semi Final! I saw quite a few St. FX infractions in their defensive zone while UNB dominated, but not one call, somehow.
Can't really say the better team won but X is on to the final.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hate to see officials play such a role in a National Semi Final! I saw quite a few St. FX infractions in their defensive zone while UNB dominated, but not one call, somehow.
Can't really say the better team won but X is on to the final.

UNB couldn’t buy a call the last 20 minutes of that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad