Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I want Seguin signed as much as anyone, but this summer Kucherov signed an 8x$9.5 deal in a no-tax state, while scoring more points in the last 2 seasons and being one year younger, so maybe let's pump the brakes on overpaying Seguin too quickly?

8x$10 is fair, more than that and Seguin is just being greedy, especially considering that age-based stats tells us that this last season was probably his peak and he will be more likely than not to decline from here on out.
Kucherovs includes RFA Years, wildly different scenario.
TB is also a perennial Contender, so it would make sense for him to take a discount.
Seguin has no RFA years to buy out, and Dallas isn't/hasn't been anywhere close to contending for his tenure

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Stars aren't that far away from making the PO, which is all the GM really wants, using the "anything can happen" mantra. If Tyler wants to stay, the difference (especially with taxes, etc.) between $10M here and $11M somewhere else is nominal. I believe a discount is in order especially to a non stacked team that does have some potential.

I do agree that something has to be done to change the losing culture before we can be really good, and our two highest paid players are hopefully the guys to do it.

If you were going to bring in one grizzled vet who is associated with winning, who would it be?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If nill is still trying to land Karlsson than he would likely be waiting to see how it pans out before giving seguin a huge contract . If they get Karlsson , seguin would be more likely to sign a cheaper deal .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
he would sure be excited about playing this year for the Stars. Imagine the old "trade our worst for the best" scenario, and adding EK in place of Pollack (or probably Honka who would get traded in the deal) makes for a nice D upgrade, and with EK, some offensive pop, too.

On the forward side, imagine replacing Shore, Ritchie, Smith, etc. with Patches or some similarly skilled forward. Seems like those two changes would rocket us up the team power rankings. Of course, we thought that in nearly every off season since Nill has been here.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
he would sure be excited about playing this year for the Stars. Imagine the old "trade our worst for the best" scenario, and adding EK in place of Pollack (or probably Honka who would get traded in the deal) makes for a nice D upgrade, and with EK, some offensive pop, too.

On the forward side, imagine replacing Shore, Ritchie, Smith, etc. with Patches or some similarly skilled forward. Seems like those two changes would rocket us up the team power rankings. Of course, we thought that in nearly every off season since Nill has been here.

According to Portzline we're on Panarin's preferred destination list. Either one of Panarin or Karlsson and I'm happy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Panarin is harder to acquire, based on CBJs needs and their current position in the league.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
According to Portzline we're on Panarin's preferred destination list. Either one of Panarin or Karlsson and I'm happy.
The rumour was that he wanted to be by the coast. The other teams on the list are the New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, and Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if Radulov has a major pull on Russians wanting to play in Dallas.

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Nill is playing with fire a little here, but I understand why. If a GM goes around overpaying players (even your second best player) by a million or two you get into a bad situation. I’d be okay with Seguin at 11, because of how much leverage he has in the situation.

On another note, I’m 100% on board with waiting while we go after Breadman/Karlsson. Do you want to be rich and play on a contender? Or do you want to be slightly more rich and play on a bubble team. Tampa has gotten players to take discounts. Even Winnipeg has gotten their players at cheaper rates (mostly RFA’s but the point stands).

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill is playing with fire a little here, but I understand why. If a GM goes around overpaying players (even your second best player) by a million or two you get into a bad situation. I’d be okay with Seguin at 11, because of how much leverage he has in the situation.

On another note, I’m 100% on board with waiting while we go after Breadman/Karlsson. Do you want to be rich and play on a contender? Or do you want to be slightly more rich and play on a bubble team. Tampa has gotten players to take discounts. Even Winnipeg has gotten their players at cheaper rates (mostly RFA’s but the point stands).

You would think Nill would have had those discussions with Tyler's agent....."We'll take care of you, but we are also trying to strengthen the team around Tyler, Jamie, Klinger, etc." shouldn't be to hard for Tyler to take, unless of course, he sees it as chipping into his $11M.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone have interest in Brock Nelson? He's a ufa next year, probably wouldn't be too expensive. Deal wouldn't preclude a Karlsson acquisition.

I'd be disappointed if we ended up with Nelson out of all the available UFAs this summer. So many better options available

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Thing to remember when talking Panarin- if you move Honka for him, suddenly you’re stuck giving Polak regular minutes.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thing to remember when talking Panarin- if you move Honka for him, suddenly you’re stuck giving Polak regular minutes.
Not really, there is other Defenseman that could play a meaningless role such as Heatherington, or Bayreuther that could handle small doses of 3rd pairing duty

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
You would think Nill would have had those discussions with Tyler's agent....."We'll take care of you, but we are also trying to strengthen the team around Tyler, Jamie, Klinger, etc." shouldn't be to hard for Tyler to take, unless of course, he sees it as chipping into his $11M.
I agree. If Nills goal is to possibly try and land Karlsson or someone else and is having to watch his money you would think he would’ve talked to Seguin and his agent about this already. Obviously he hasn’t though... Than what does the GM do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad