Prospect Info: 2018 St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hey, don't be the judge of my emotional scars. After all, if we as Blues fans can't come together over the emotional damage this team has inflicted upon us, what can we come together on? :laugh:

On a slightly more serious response, as many people as there are who continuously bring up Rattie, there are also ones who hype the heck out of any half-way promising prospect. For all of Kyrou's obvious and amazing talents, he also has a few warts. Pointing out that not all hyped prospects pan out isn't out of bounds. Rattie may not be the best example, but the point stands. Just because a player excels in juniors is no guarantee of NHL success.

Yep. That's why it's worth addressing their specific abilities when talking about why to be excited/tempered/discouraged/etc.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Toropchenko was drafted out of Russia so the CHL rules don’t apply to him.
He just turned 19 a few days ago so he will not be eligible to go the AHL yet. He plays for Guelph Storm of OHL. Last year he started the season on fire and then slowed down to almost a complete stop and fell down the lineup. Late in the year he moved back up the lineup and caught fire again. Ended with 17g and 22a for 39pts in 66 games. So the numbers are not phenomenal my any way. I want to be clear on what my expectations for him are. I don't see him as a top6 forward in the NHL, his skill level just isn't high enough IMO. I think he could be a very good bottom six player simply due to his play style. He plays through players, wins battles and goes hard to the net with his massive size and good speed. He has already added some weight to his frame since last year, in the next few years he is able to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle there won't be many defenseman capable of stopping/moving him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yep. That's why it's worth addressing their specific abilities when talking about why to be excited/tempered/discouraged/etc.

Agreed. Specifically with Kyrou I question 3 things: 1) his defense, both positioning and compete level on D, 2) his effectiveness in board battles, both strength and willingness to fight for the puck, and 3) his ability to simplify his game without all the fancy moves but that won't work at the NHL level but still using his skating as an advantage. The third one really troubled Walman when he got looks in camp last year and in the AHL. When you can skate that well, sometimes, you get overconfident and too fancy. You can't deke someone out the arena anymore and need to learn to capitalize on the split-seconds and inches your speed gives you as opposed to the much more time and space at lower levels. His shot isn't great and isn't the fastest release, so he has needed that time and space. From my viewings where he has struggled, its when he hasn't been as succesful creating that space. But granted, I have not watched him near as much as some.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’m glad to hear about the Toropchenko praise - underrated definitely and deserves to be higher on the depth chart.

Kyrou is the next Mat Barzal. After watching Barzal with Seattle and NYI, the only difference is that Kyrou is a better skater, and Barzal is more of a thief. Kyrou will be a force in the NHL this year, and should be there opening night, IMO.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He just turned 19 a few days ago so he will not be eligible to go the AHL yet. He plays for Guelph Storm of OHL. Last year he started the season on fire and then slowed down to almost a complete stop and fell down the lineup. Late in the year he moved back up the lineup and caught fire again. Ended with 17g and 22a for 39pts in 66 games. So the numbers are not phenomenal my any way. I want to be clear on what my expectations for him are. I don't see him as a top6 forward in the NHL, his skill level just isn't high enough IMO. I think he could be a very good bottom six player simply due to his play style. He plays through players, wins battles and goes hard to the net with his massive size and good speed. He has already added some weight to his frame since last year, in the next few years he is able to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle there won't be many defenseman capable of stopping/moving him.

He’s my “under the radar” pick to go father than anybody anticipated. He has the size and speed. Now let’s see if he has the next level of skills and brains to make an impact.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
On NHL Radio, Panger mentioned Thomas had a high ankle sprain that he played through the memorial cup and the last 2 OHL playoff rounds on.

Reactions: stl76

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
On NHL Radio, Panger mentioned Thomas had a high ankle sprain that he played through the memorial cup and the last 2 OHL playoff rounds on.

Makes sense why they are holding him out. Depending on severity, these can take a while to heal (anywhere from 6-8 weeks), especially if he continued to play on it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Makes sense why they are holding him out. Depending on severity, these can take a while to heal (anywhere from 6-8 weeks), especially if he continued to play on it.
If this is true and he played on that.....Muh Gawd, he was still the best player on the ice.

Reactions: 67Blues

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'm here for the last day. If anyone else is here feel free to come by and say hi. I am on sitting on the bleachers dead center ice at the very top. Wearing a Blues navy pullover.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'm loving the reports guys! Thanks so much!

The prospect I'm most excited to hear about is the new kid on the block: Dominik Bokk

I know Kyrou and Kostin are going to be NHL players and there's a chance they will be very good ones. Their glowing reports are great but expected. The glowing reports on Bokk are fresh and I kinda feel like he's in the shadows behind the NHL ready guys. Understandably.

It's pretty awesome that we just added yet another potential top 6 forward to the mix. Another kid with silky mitts, good skating, and great offensive instincts.
I realize he probably needs at least 2 full years of development before being much of an option for the NHL. And even then he may be 3 years from being a top 6 option. However, it's so awesome to have such a loaded prospect cupboard at forward.

I love Bill Armstrong!

Edit: shirt idea when Bokk makes his NHL debut: New Kid on the Bokk!

Last edited:

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Yes very much thank you guys for all the updates.. I am sure the asylum thanks you also! the team looks very interesting in the next few years and I think Bokk may stay next year I think he will work hard over the next year to get over and on the roster still think 2 yrs away but next yr in the AHL

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
They just did a keep away drill where the coaches will send about a half dozen pucks into a scrum in the corner and they all had to battle for them. Those without a pick had to do pushups when they blew the whistle.

Kyrou
Bokk
Reinke
Foley
Came out with a lot of picks.

Reactions: stl76

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I haven't even read this thread to look at what you are all saying, but I know one of the prospects skating at prospect camp. He said Kyrou is incredible and the best player at the camp and truly believes he should be on the team next year. He thinks Kyrou and Bokk are the most skilled guys there. Obviously that doesn't include Thomas who isn't playing but it does include Kostin, Foley etc.

As for Kostin, "he apparently has the skill but he seems like he does not care." Take it how you want to.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I haven't even read this thread to look at what you are all saying, but I know one of the prospects skating at prospect camp. He said Kyrou is incredible and the best player at the camp and truly believes he should be on the team next year. He thinks Kyrou and Bokk are the most skilled guys there. Obviously that doesn't include Thomas who isn't playing but it does include Kostin, Foley etc.

As for Kostin, "he apparently has the skill but he seems like he does not care." Take it how you want to.

Interesting if true. Going to take a guess and say your talking about Josh Dunne seeing as how he is from St. Louis.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Kyrou is so smooth on the stick handling drill. Doesn't even look like he is trying. Pretty sure I saw him yawn at one point.:laugh:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Bokk shot is more finesse than power. He looks up, finds his spot and releases it quickly. Not a sniper by any means but he will keep goalies honest.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I’m here again, sorry for not posting. I have shown up, just haven’t had the time to write my reports.

I’ll try and get those out pronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad