Prospect Info: 2018 St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
It is that time of year again. I will be in attendance all four days and will do another write up on our prospects similar to the one I did last year. My full write up won't be until Friday night but I intend post updates live from the camp.

TEAM TKACHUK

36 - ROBERT THOMAS (F)
47 - SCOTT PERUNOVICH (D)
53 - AUSTIN POGANSKI (F)
56 - TY AMONTE (F)
58 - NIKOLAJ KRAG (F)
59 - MATHIAS LAFERRIERE (F)
63 - TRENTON BOURQUE (D)
65 - ALEXEY TOROPCHENKO (F)
73 - ANTON ANDERSSON (D)
81- GRANT FREDERIC (D)
83 - TANNER KASPICK (F)
84 - AUSTIN RUESCHHOFF (F)
85 - EVAN FITZPATRICK (G)

TEAM MacINNIS

1 - JOEL HOFER (G)
18 - DOMINIK BOKK (F)
33 - JORDAN KYROU (F)
37 - KLIM KOSTIN (F)
39 - MITCH REINKE (D)
45 - LUKE OPILKA (G)
51 - NOLAN STEVENS (F)
52 - ERIK FOLEY (F)
56 - HUGH McGING (F)
60 - DAVID NOEL (D)
74 - JARED THOMAS (F)
75 - TYLER TUCKER (D)
82 - JOSH DUNNE (F)
86 - FILIP HELT (F)
89 - MICHAEL DAVIES (D)

This was my write up from last year....

51 - NOLAN STEVENS (F) Strong on the puck, protects it well along the boards. Surprisingly good hands in tight and strong work ethic to collect loose pucks. Decent shot but nothing that is going to threaten NHL goaltenders, he will score goals though with his willingness to go high danger areas and battle for space. Something lacking in his game is hockey IQ. Several times during the scrimmages he would rush a play by either trying to force the pass or take a low percentage shot. His skating is good but his edgework could use a little fine tuning.
Ceiling: 3C, Energy Player

52 - ROBERT THOMAS (F) As I posted earlier I feel like this kid got better each day at the prospect camp. He definitely has some swagger to his game when he gets comfortable. He is not afraid to go for the extra move here and there which can be both a good and bad thing. I don't think it is any secret that his shot is not very good and that was demonstrated during today's scrimmage. He rarely passed up an opportunity to shoot during the scrimmage and missed the net half the time and the other half was easily saved by the goalie. He did manage to score two goals though. One a tip and the other a rebound. Despite his size he is not shy about going to those high percentage areas to find loose pucks. His skating and edgework is top notch as well as his stick handling. His passing is crisp and flat and he is very patient under pressure while he waits for the play to develop
Ceiling: 2C, Playmaking Forward

54 - ADAM MUSIL (F) This kid has energy to burn. He is dogged on the puck and IMO battles harder than anyone else on the ice during this camp. He fights hard for every inch of ice and is strong at protecting the puck along the boards. He does however lack the hockey sense to do much when he comes off the boards. His shot, passing, stick handling and skating are just average. What drives his play and makes him stand out is work ethic which I think could earn him a spot on a NHL roster at some point.
Ceiling: 4th Line, Checking Forward

63 - TRENTON BOURQUE (D) Smooth skater and well that is about it. Didn't really stand out in any other way. A late round defenseman who is going to be a very long term project.
Ceiling: AHL depth defenseman

65 - ALEXEI TOROPCHENKO (F) This kid has the size to be a true power forward in the NHL and from his play in the scrimmage that is exactly how he is going play. He was an absolute bull in the offensive zone using his body to shield the puck and make power moves to take the puck to the net. Away from the puck is where he will need to improve. Kid has top notch acceleration and can blow right past you in the neutral zone if your not ready and he is very good at finding open ice for himself. Where his game needs work is on the defensive side of things. I wouldn't say he lacks willingness to play defense but he just seems so much more invested on the offensive side of things.
Ceiling: 2nd RW, Power Forward

77 - BLAKE WINIECKI (F) Honestly there was not much that stood out about him during camp. Just very average. Underwhelming skating ability. He played very defensively responsible game during the scrimmages. He would stay high in the zone and make sure he got back.
Ceiling: Depth AHL Forward

78 - NIKO MIKKOLA (D) If there is one word I would use to describe Mikkola it would be "calm." Kid has ice in his veins he can be under pressure in the corners and he constantly makes the right play. He plays a very cerebral defensive game and has solid positioning. What he lacks is any kind of offensive game. He has a decent shot but often looks lost with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.
Ceiling: Bottom Pairing NHL Defensive Defenseman.

81 - GRANT FREDERIC (D) Honestly don't really have much to say on him. Just another warm body for the drills
Ceiling: AHL depth D-man

84 - DWYER TSCHANTZ (F) Kid has size, decent hands and shot but good god his skating is awful. I mean horrendously bad and it will probably stop him from advancing his career.
Ceiling: AHL

85 - EVAN FITZPATRICK (G) I normally don't do goalies since these camps don't really give them much of chance to showcase their skills. The one thing I will say is he drops to his butterfly too early. Tends to over rely on his butterfly.

86 - FILIP HELT (F) Another big boy who needs to fill out his frame. He gets knocked off the puck way to easy. This happened during one scrimmage and Helt got a little upset and gave Davies an extra shot at one point, so maybe a bit of mean streak. He has decent hands in open ice and is pretty good skater for his size but he seems to lack vision in offensive zone and opts to just throw his non threatening shot on goal.

87 - LUKE MCINNIS (D) The first thing you notice about him is his lack of size. This kid is really small, even on skates. The second thing you will notice is his skating, he is a very strong skater who is good on his edges. He is not shy about skating the puck out of the zone and is a pretty good stick handler. His shot is not very good which isn't surprising given his size. He is however a very good passer and has good vision during the breakout. He is going to have to rely heavily on his skating throughout his career and even though it is good I am not sure I would call it elite.
Ceiling: NHL Bottom Pairing Offensive Defenseman

88 - DEVIN BROSSEAU (F) Scored a nice goal on a penalty shot but honestly just another warm body for camp.
Ceiling: AHL Depth

32 - TAGE THOMPSON (F) He has really added a good amount of mass. He is a large boy but he doesn't really play heavy power game. One thing I noticed in the scrimmages is that he rarely goes to the dangerous areas. He looks to get the puck on the perimeter and try to beat the goalie with a clean shot which at the camp he can do I am not so sure at higher levels. During transition he tries to do to much with the puck. Numerous times he gets stripped after trying to stickhandle through opponents. Needs to use his size more to his advantage and create space for himself. All that being said his shot is amazing. He was beating goalies clean all week long and his skating has improved since last year but I am beginning to think he might be a longer term project. Honestly he was my biggest disappointment versus expectations this week.
Ceiling: Middle 6 NHL Forward

45 - LUKE OPILKA (G) Again I hate doing these for goalies. I was actually impressed with Opilka, he seemed really poised in net and moved calmly under siege. Made several good saves during scrimmages.
Ceiling: Honestly can't give one, goalies are so hard to judge.

46 - JAKE WALMAN (D) Arguably the best player at camp. He flew through his drills nearly flawlessly. During the scrimmages he drove the play from the backend. His puck retrievals and exits were clean as could be with him often skating the puck out of danger and all the way up the ice. His vision during breakout was top notch and his offensive reads were solid. He truly was heads and shoulders above nearly everyone else on the ice.
Ceiling: Top 4 Two-Way Defenseman

58 - NIKOLAJ KRAG-CHRISTENSEN (F) One thing I notice is that he plays with his head up all the way. He is good in both open ice and along the boards. He is not shy about skating through his defensive assignments and has a sneaky good shot. Needs to work a little more on his skating, specifically his edge work. He will also need to fill out his frame as he is bit of string bean right now.
Ceiling: Boom or Bust NHL Winger.

59 - KLIM KOSTIN (F) Best shot I have seen since Tarasenko's prospect camp. I think missing all that time this year may have hurt his conditioning a bit. He seemed gassed a few times throughout the week but I am not really worried about it. It is easy to see why he was #1 rated European prospect though. Kid just oozes skill, skating, stickhandling, shooting and he actually uses his large frame well. I have no idea how he was the last pick in the 1st round. The only real negative I have about him is he keeps his head down too much. I am hoping it is just nerves and him not wanting to mess up, which was kind of obvious since he would get frustrated after any slight mess up. Lastly this has nothing to do with his skill but at the end of his "teams" practice he was always the first down on the ice collecting the pucks and putting them in the baskets. Showed a lot of character.
Ceiling: Top 6 Goal Scoring Winger

60 - DAVID NOEL (D) After the first day I posted the Noel's shot was a "muffin." It must have been nerves because it was a lot better today. That however is not the thing I was the most impressed with. He plays a very simple defensive game and was very good at gap closure and stick work. Numerous times he would break up the play with a really good step up in the neutral zone or at the blue line. His breakout play needs a little work though, he will make smart play but seems very hesitant to skate the puck out himself. In the offensive zone his shot is solid but his offensive awareness seems limited to him just shooting or dumping the puck behind the net.
Ceiling: Bottom 4 NHL Defenseman

70 - AUSTIN POGANSKI (F) A solid North-South player who uses his body well to separate players from the puck. He has a sneaky quick shot but his passing needs a lot of work. His edge work is middle of the road but he will skate through a wall if need be. Not sure if he has the hockey sense to ever be more than a energy player though.
Ceiling: 4th Line Energy Forward

72 - JORDAN KYROU (F) In my honest opinion the only player at the camp that was on the same level with Walman. He excelled at nearly every drill and displayed off the charts hockey IQ. I think he registered at least one point in every scrimmage I saw and more often than not drove the play every time he was on the ice. Showed some nice chemistry with Thompson setting him up on multiple occasions. His skating and edge work is near elite and he does it effortlessly. He can stickhandle in a phone both and has the vision to find pucks in traffic. Honestly I am sitting here trying to think of a criticism of his game and the only thing I can think of is maybe working on his two way game.
Ceiling: Top 6 Playmaking Center

74 - CHARLES EDOURDO D’ASTOUS (D) I am sitting here honestly trying to remember him. I can honestly say I am not even sure he was there. I remember seeing his name but honestly can't remember him doing anything that stands out. You can take that any way you want.
Ceiling: AHL Depth Player... probably

76 - GREG MEIRELES (F) The surprise of camp in my opinion. He reminds me in a lot of ways Tyler Johnson. He just seems like a really smart hockey player who finds the right spot on the ice at all times. Not the hardest shot but very accurate, scored many goals during the scrimmages. He is on the smaller side but that doesn't stop him from engaging in the physical side of things. His skating is very good, he has both high end speed and very good edge work. He also has really good vision and the ability to thread the needle with passes through traffic. He is also a right shot. I really really hope the Blues offer him a contract.
Ceiling: NHL Top 9 Utility Forward

80 - KYLE MACLEAN (F) Everything that Meireles showed MacLean did not. He was just kind of there. He did show willingness to go to the dirty areas on the ice during the scrimmage but honestly I think the toolbox is kind of empty. He was poor to average on every drill I watched.
Ceiling: AHL Depth Forward

83 - TANNER KASPICK (F) Hard working kid who has the willingness to go to the dirty areas of the ice during scrimmages. He is a decent skater and has decent shot but the part of his game that he excels at is his passing. He is very patient with the puck and lets the play develop so he can distribute the puck wisely. Plays with a lot of energy and has a high engine.
Ceiling: NHL Bottom 6 Energy Forward

89 - MIKE DAVIES (D) I think this is the 3rd camp this kid has been to. I am pretty sure he a local kid they use for a warm body. I don't think he has any future in hockey. I really didn't focus on him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ofc this long way from now, but any idea will pre-season games broadcasted? Or will Blues yet again be the one team who doesn't broadcast their pre-season games?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I’m at the camp right now, and I’ll try to get the write ups in later.

For reference, I’ll be focusing on 6 - 7 players per day, as I’ve done for the last three years now. I have my list set up for today, but please tag me in players you would be interested in seeing. Today includes: Kostin, Laferriere, Noel, Perunovich, Foley, Hofer, Andersson, and McGing.

Reactions: OSA and stl76

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Oh, can a mod move my post in the prospects section to here? I didn’t see it until after I posted.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I’m at the camp right now, and I’ll try to get the write ups in later.
For reference, I’ll be focusing on 6 - 7 players per day, as I’ve done for the last three years now. I have my list set up for today, but please tag me in players you would be interested in seeing. Today includes: Kostin, Laferriere, Noel, Perunovich, Foley, Hofer, Andersson, and McGing.

AUSTIN POGANSKI, NIKOLAJ KRAG, MITCH REINKE, TANNER KASPICK and FILIP HELT. I wanna hear where they are at currently. Has develope at all from last seaosn? Is there any change them become NHL'ers?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Can't believe I forgot we still have Krag. Screw Tavares, we got the next Malkin here.

Mar 6, 2012
We usually like to go to one of these, but this year there are no weekend scrimmages... annoying...

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Looks like Helt, Noel and Kostin have been moved to team Tkachuk or are being kept out for other reasons.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
First group just finished up.

Standouts:
Kyrou: Kid looked like an NHLer out there. Coaches often used him to demonstrate the correct way to do a drill.

Bokk: Sneaky quick release. Can dangle in a phone booth. Not the greatest skater but solid edgework.

Reinke: Heads up player. Good skater good shot.

Foley: Not great hands but excelled at separation drills and net front rebound drills. Get a David Backes feel from him

McGinn: I kind of get the Andy McDonald comparison. Not the fastest skater but very fluid skater. Good edgework.

Stevens: Sloppy skater, good shot.

Tucker: Long way to go. You thought Jaskin's skating was bad. Decent shot though. Need to see him scrimmage.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
First group just finished up.

Standouts:
Kyrou: Kid looked like an NHLer out there. Coaches often used him to demonstrate the correct way to do a drill.

Bokk: Sneaky quick release. Can dangle in a phone booth. Not the greatest skater but solid edgework.

Reinke: Heads up player. Good skater good shot.

Foley: Not great hands but excelled at separation drills and net front drills. Get a David Backes feel from him

McGinn: I kind of get the Andy McDonald comparison. Not the fastest skater but very fluid skater. Good edgework.

Stevens: Sloppy skater, good shot.

Tucker: Long way to go. You thought Jaskin's skating was bad. Decent shot though. Need to see him scrimmage.
I say this every year, but thank you Blanick for providing us starved nuts with updates and analysis. Best we can get without being there. Much appreciated.

No luck with streams and the twitter account didn’t answer me. Last year scrimmages were on periscope so I imagine we will get that this year.

Reactions: RoarBacon

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I say this every year, but thank you Blanick for providing us starved nuts with updates and analysis. Best we can get without being there. Much appreciated.

No luck with streams and the twitter account didn’t answer me. Last year scrimmages were on periscope so I imagine we will get that this year.
Thanks from me too @Blanick - I usually get to take in one day of action but I'm going to be shut out this year. Your updates and analysis, and the ones we get from others, are very much appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->