Prospect Info: 2018 St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Thanks for all the reports. Moved away last year, and this is definitely one week I miss STL.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I went to the scrimmage today, wanting to see Reinke. He was on the ice, but nothing notable either way in the short time I saw him.

Bokk was impressive, fast and good hands. Kyrou was impressive, as he was last year. Foley looked slow. McGing was an exciting player, quite small but very shifty as some other member called him.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
I've been hard on Foley the last two days but he impressed me today, probably because I didn't get to see him do skating drills, but he's got good power moves to the net, excellent board play always coming out with the puck.

Stevens was one I was really excited for and he's been average for me, but like Foley I liked what I saw today, showed some good hands skating through the seam of the dmen, found the soft areas in the slot for a goal and other chances

I"ve also been a little tough on Kostin and while I still think he has several areas to improve on I did like his patience and offensive awareness waits for plays to open up instead of rushing them, good passer, but wish he'd let it rip more often or ever actually

LaFerriere was very impressive for me today, wasn't high on him when picked or after the first day, but he's growing on me, struggled receiving a few passes, but showed solid playmaking and hands

Bokk-I keep coming back to him but he's a slippery dude, can puck handle for days and is a thief, big knock was defensive abilities and maybe so in the dzone getting lost from time to time, but dude can pickpocket anyone...dare I say he looks a lot like Datsyuk...not saying he becomes that but think that skill set, I was high on him before the draft now I'm drooling over him

We all have high hopes for Kyrou and watching him today shows me he's NHL ready, he looked as if he was playing half speed or lack of trying and still out skated everyone like it was nothing

Tucker was awesome today! Showed some jump into the o zone plays great positioning not afraid to stand players up and take the body, Day 1 showed me kid can't skate hardly at all, last two days scrimmages show me kid can play but definitely needs a full time skating coach

Big disappoints for me so far is Poganski and Krag was hoping to see them stand out having gone through this before, but they are a disappearing act, hardly ever notice them.

Reactions: Blanick

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Every time I get excited about Kyrou, I go look at Rattie's stats to bring me back down to Earth.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I've been hard on Foley the last two days but he impressed me today, probably because I didn't get to see him do skating drills, but he's got good power moves to the net, excellent board play always coming out with the puck.

Stevens was one I was really excited for and he's been average for me, but like Foley I liked what I saw today, showed some good hands skating through the seam of the dmen, found the soft areas in the slot for a goal and other chances

I"ve also been a little tough on Kostin and while I still think he has several areas to improve on I did like his patience and offensive awareness waits for plays to open up instead of rushing them, good passer, but wish he'd let it rip more often or ever actually

LaFerriere was very impressive for me today, wasn't high on him when picked or after the first day, but he's growing on me, struggled receiving a few passes, but showed solid playmaking and hands

Bokk-I keep coming back to him but he's a slippery dude, can puck handle for days and is a thief, big knock was defensive abilities and maybe so in the dzone getting lost from time to time, but dude can pickpocket anyone...dare I say he looks a lot like Datsyuk...not saying he becomes that but think that skill set, I was high on him before the draft now I'm drooling over him

We all have high hopes for Kyrou and watching him today shows me he's NHL ready, he looked as if he was playing half speed or lack of trying and still out skated everyone like it was nothing

Tucker was awesome today! Showed some jump into the o zone plays great positioning not afraid to stand players up and take the body, Day 1 showed me kid can't skate hardly at all, last two days scrimmages show me kid can play but definitely needs a full time skating coach

Big disappoints for me so far is Poganski and Krag was hoping to see them stand out having gone through this before, but they are a disappearing act, hardly ever notice them.

I agree with a lot of this and I'll add a few notes.

Poganski has decent speed and a quick release but has only one move when it comes to offense. He gets the puck, drives the outside lane and tries to take the puck to the net but he has neither the size of speed to pull the move off so he usually ends up circling around the back of the net.

Laferriere was all over the place today, he has knack for finding the soft areas on the ice but as @bluesfan3109 said he fumbled way too many passes for my liking. A shifty skater whose shot is accurate but not very hard.

Toropchenko: Why is the kid not being talked about more? He doesn't have the best hands and lacks a little bit of finish but he creates more offense than anyone else on the ice in the scrimmages thus far. Yes more than Kyrou, more than Kostin, more that Bokk. This kid skates like the wind and uses his body to go through defenders. Consistently wins puck battles in the corners and takes every puck hard to the net. If Tage Thompson used his body the way Toropchenko does he would be our #1 prospect. Just sayin.

Reinke: Kid shows pretty good offensive instincts. Constantly jumping up into the play and does a good job distributing the puck both during transition and in the offensive zone. Not afraid to go down below the dots to help create offense. Needs to work on his shot a little bit.

Bokk: He is so slippery and a thief. He is a slippery thief. Nice of @bluesfan3109 to steal my Datsyuk comparison. :D

Noel: Showed a bit more of his offensive instincts today but I think his bread and butter is defense. I find his defensive positioning very solid and has a smart defensive stick. On numerous times over the last few days I have seen him calling out assignments to other players on his team. Very vocal.

Stevens: He has long stretches where you barely notice him followed by one or two nice plays and then another long stretch. He has a quality NHL level shot but rarely finds himself in position to use it. His skating could use some work as well. It is not terrible, just a little sloppy especially with his edgework.

That's all I got for now. I will have my full write up sometime tomorrow night.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yea, Kyrou is so much faster than Rattie, they're not comparable at all. There was zero chance of Rattie making the Blues at the same age. In his second and third professional years, the Blues played so many garbage players and reclamation projects ahead of Rattie because he couldn't stick. The potential was there, but he never developed after graduating junior and he was the type of player that needed to keep developing. Getting faster, more tenacious, better defensively - the dude needed to evolve somehow and never did. Rattie had adequate skill, but Kyrou's gifts are a clear notch above.

I'm not saying you should go buy a Kyrou sweater tomorrow, but Blues fans as a group are so fond of various versions of "Yea, but Ty Rattie..." crap. Hrkac, Reasoner, Harry York, Andronov, Schwarz, Bacashihua, Sejna, Toivonen, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev, every Blues fan seems to have SOME young player that sticks in their craw as apparently so overrated and disappointing that they're frickin' scarred for life over it. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Toropchenko: Why is the kid not being talked about more? He doesn't have the best hands and lacks a little bit of finish but he creates more offense than anyone else on the ice in the scrimmages thus far. Yes more than Kyrou, more than Kostin, more that Bokk. This kid skates like the wind and uses his body to go through defenders. Consistently wins puck battles in the corners and takes every puck hard to the net. If Tage Thompson used his body the way Toropchenko does he would be our #1 prospect. Just sayin.

I'm with you!

This kid stood out last year IMO. He was paired with Kostin then, but I still noticed him when Kostin got all the attention.

I hope I can make it tomorrow.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm with you!

This kid stood out last year IMO. He was paired with Kostin then, but I still noticed him when Kostin got all the attention.

I hope I can make it tomorrow.

So does it look like Toropchenko will be seasoning for another year in the OHL or is he ready to step into the AHL to develop - I'm assuming he's not ready to push for a roster spot out of camp yet.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So does it look like Toropchenko will be seasoning for another year in the OHL or is he ready to step into the AHL to develop - I'm assuming he's not ready to push for a roster spot out of camp yet.

He just turned 19 a few days ago so he will not be eligible to go the AHL yet. He plays for Guelph Storm of OHL. Last year he started the season on fire and then slowed down to almost a complete stop and fell down the lineup. Late in the year he moved back up the lineup and caught fire again. Ended with 17g and 22a for 39pts in 66 games. So the numbers are not phenomenal my any way. I want to be clear on what my expectations for him are. I don't see him as a top6 forward in the NHL, his skill level just isn't high enough IMO. I think he could be a very good bottom six player simply due to his play style. He plays through players, wins battles and goes hard to the net with his massive size and good speed. He has already added some weight to his frame since last year, in the next few years he is able to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle there won't be many defenseman capable of stopping/moving him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I agree with a lot of this and I'll add a few notes.

Poganski has decent speed and a quick release but has only one move when it comes to offense. He gets the puck, drives the outside lane and tries to take the puck to the net but he has neither the size of speed to pull the move off so he usually ends up circling around the back of the net.

Laferriere was all over the place today, he has knack for finding the soft areas on the ice but as @bluesfan3109 said he fumbled way too many passes for my liking. A shifty skater whose shot is accurate but not very hard.

Reinke: Kid shows pretty good offensive instincts. Constantly jumping up into the play and does a good job distributing the puck both during transition and in the offensive zone. Not afraid to go down below the dots to help create offense. Needs to work on his shot a little bit.

Bokk: He is so slippery and a thief. He is a slippery thief. Nice of @bluesfan3109 to steal my Datsyuk comparison. :D

Noel: Showed a bit more of his offensive instincts today but I think his bread and butter is defense. I find his defensive positioning very solid and has a smart defensive stick. On numerous times over the last few days I have seen him calling out assignments to other players on his team. Very vocal.

Stevens: He has long stretches where you barely notice him followed by one or two nice plays and then another long stretch. He has a quality NHL level shot but rarely finds himself in position to use it. His skating could use some work as well. It is not terrible, just a little sloppy especially with his edgework.

That's all I got for now. I will have my full write up sometime tomorrow night.

I want to be very careful in this Noel comparison because it could easily be misconstrued, but the last time I remember a dman being super vocal on ice like that was when Parayko was first coming up. I think it just shows good hockey IQ, but maybe just as importantly, good leadership to be able to take control of the ice and direct traffic so to speak while also taking care of your own responsibilities too. “I’m doing x, but it only works if you are also doing y, so instead of hoping you can read my mind I’ll just tell you to do y.” That’s where the comparison ends, I’m not saying Noel is the next Parayko by any stretch of the imagination.

Noel seems to be a guy with a lot of really good tools, who is also really raw. At times I’ve heard people marvel at his shot, his skating, his physicality, his leadership, and his defense... but never all at the same time. With him, Blais, and Laferriere, that seems to be the trend of what we’re looking for in the Q. The hope with all of them is that with added strength and experience, we’ll see them take some big steps and outperform their draft pedigree. Blais is certainly blazing (l-o-l) the path there.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yea, Kyrou is so much faster than Rattie, they're not comparable at all. There was zero chance of Rattie making the Blues at the same age. In his second and third professional years, the Blues played so many garbage players and reclamation projects ahead of Rattie because he couldn't stick. The potential was there, but he never developed after graduating junior and he was the type of player that needed to keep developing. Getting faster, more tenacious, better defensively - the dude needed to evolve somehow and never did. Rattie had adequate skill, but Kyrou's gifts are a clear notch above.

I'm not saying you should go buy a Kyrou sweater tomorrow, but Blues fans as a group are so fond of various versions of "Yea, but Ty Rattie..." crap. Hrkac, Reasoner, Harry York, Andronov, Schwarz, Bacashihua, Sejna, Toivonen, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev, every Blues fan seems to have SOME young player that sticks in their craw as apparently so overrated and disappointing that they're frickin' scarred for life over it. It's pathetic.

Hey, don't be the judge of my emotional scars. After all, if we as Blues fans can't come together over the emotional damage this team has inflicted upon us, what can we come together on? :laugh:

On a slightly more serious response, as many people as there are who continuously bring up Rattie, there are also ones who hype the heck out of any half-way promising prospect. For all of Kyrou's obvious and amazing talents, he also has a few warts. Pointing out that not all hyped prospects pan out isn't out of bounds. Rattie may not be the best example, but the point stands. Just because a player excels in juniors is no guarantee of NHL success.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
He just turned 19 a few days ago so he will not be eligible to go the AHL yet. He plays for Guelph Storm of OHL. Last year he started the season on fire and then slowed down to almost a complete stop and fell down the lineup. Late in the year he moved back up the lineup and caught fire again. Ended with 17g and 22a for 39pts in 66 games. So the numbers are not phenomenal my any way. I want to be clear on what my expectations for him are. I don't see him as a top6 forward in the NHL, his skill level just isn't high enough IMO. I think he could be a very good bottom six player simply due to his play style. He plays through players, wins battles and goes hard to the net with his massive size and good speed. He has already added some weight to his frame since last year, in the next few years he is able to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle there won't be many defenseman capable of stopping/moving him.

The work that the advanced stats guys have done on prospects typically dotes on Toropchenko. He is really good at gaining ice, i.e. carrying the puck, and that alone is a valuable asset. He has trouble finishing his chances, but he has shown flashes where he looks Kostin-esque too, so who knows if he will find that skill.

I see him as a bigger, meaner, Russian Scotty Upshall right now, and for a 4th rounder we should be thrilled if that’s what he amounts to (Uppy was a top 10 pick, after all)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad