Patriots/NFL 2018 Season VI - 11-5 - Next up Chargers - January 13th 1 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Bruins have a better chance winning the Cup this year than the Pats winning it all
I disagree.

There are no clear cut favorites in either conference. Every contender has issues.

AFC
KC: has been a shell of themselves offensively since the Hunt stuff, and their defense is putrid.
Patriots: Haven't played a complete game on both sides of ball all year. Talent is there defensively to put a string of games together, but will the offense show up?
Houston: Great defense. Watson is a legitimate QB, but prone to mistakes. They have a massive depth issue at WR behind Hopkins, and their ground game is mediocre.
Ravens: Great defense, but Jackson can't throw accurately and I doubt they can win 4 games with him having to run the ball 10ish times a game.
Chargers: They are probably the most complete team in the AFC right now, but barring a miracle, they are a wild card. Could they win 3 road games in the Super Bowl? Sure. But they'd have to win potentially at both Arrowhead and Gillette in back to back weeks to do so. And there's always the late game Phillip Rivers factor.
WC6: Titans won't win a playoff game. Indy could, but they certainly aren't going into Arrowhead, Gillette, or even Houston and beating any of those teams. Maybe next year. Steelers are a mess.

NFC
Saints: Jeckyll and Hyde offensively lately. Homefield will help them a lot. Should be NFFCG at worst.
LAR: Offense has dissappeared lately. Goff has been terrible. Defense is still great, but have been exposed a bit lately.
Chicago: If Trubisky can limit mistakes, they are a scary out. That defense is great.
Dallas: Who knows which Dallas team will show up. If they get Elliott and Cooper playing like they have of late, they could be dangerous, but as a whole they are unremarkable.
Seattle: They've come on of late. Not the same team that will crush people with defense and do enough offensively. They are the definition of wild card. Not sure what to expect from them.
Minn/Phi: Eh. Minnesota could stay in a game with defense, but Cousins' career primetime issues are pretty telling at this point. Philly? Meh. They do look better with Foles, but they aren't anything close to last year.

Point is, the entire NFL is wide open. There are probably 6-7 teams that have a realistic shot at winning it, and no true buzzsaw team this season.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I disagree.

There are no clear cut favorites in either conference. Every contender has issues.

AFC
KC: has been a shell of themselves offensively since the Hunt stuff, and their defense is putrid.
Patriots: Haven't played a complete game on both sides of ball all year. Talent is there defensively to put a string of games together, but will the offense show up?
Houston: Great defense. Watson is a legitimate QB, but prone to mistakes. They have a massive depth issue at WR behind Hopkins, and their ground game is mediocre.
Ravens: Great defense, but Jackson can't throw accurately and I doubt they can win 4 games with him having to run the ball 10ish times a game.
Chargers: They are probably the most complete team in the AFC right now, but barring a miracle, they are a wild card. Could they win 3 road games in the Super Bowl? Sure. But they'd have to win potentially at both Arrowhead and Gillette in back to back weeks to do so. And there's always the late game Phillip Rivers factor.
WC6: Titans won't win a playoff game. Indy could, but they certainly aren't going into Arrowhead, Gillette, or even Houston and beating any of those teams. Maybe next year. Steelers are a mess.

NFC
Saints
: Jeckyll and Hyde offensively lately. Homefield will help them a lot. Should be NFFCG at worst.
LAR: Offense has dissappeared lately. Goff has been terrible. Defense is still great, but have been exposed a bit lately.
Chicago: If Trubisky can limit mistakes, they are a scary out. That defense is great.
Dallas: Who knows which Dallas team will show up. If they get Elliott and Cooper playing like they have of late, they could be dangerous, but as a whole they are unremarkable.
Seattle: They've come on of late. Not the same team that will crush people with defense and do enough offensively. They are the definition of wild card. Not sure what to expect from them.
Minn/Phi: Eh. Minnesota could stay in a game with defense, but Cousins' career primetime issues are pretty telling at this point. Philly? Meh. They do look better with Foles, but they aren't anything close to last year.

Point is, the entire NFL is wide open. There are probably 6-7 teams that have a realistic shot at winning it, and no true buzzsaw team this season.
Great post and I hope you are right.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We've been accustomed to the last 8 or 9 years where the Pats have been far and away favorites to get to the conference championship or Superbowl. Now they're not, but they're still a team that has a legit shot to get there. If this was 1999 in the Pete Carroll years, we'd be doing backflips over the fact that the Pats are 10-5 and in a position where they even have a shot at making a run. But after 17 years in the Brady era everyone is just muttering that this team sucks and has been a constant failure.

I'm not one of those people who ramble on about how they watched Hugh Millen go 1-15 while sitting on a frozen metal bench at Sullivan Stadium during a blizzard, so you punk millennials should take your first round loss and like it, but it is funny how perspective can change so dramatically over time.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
^ Definitely.

The way I described it to co-workers, all Vikings game is that through most of the Brady era, the expectation is to make it to the Super Bowl, at the minimum. Anything less was a disappointment.

That's not the case this year. They'd be exceeding expectations making it to the Super Bowl, even if they get both games at home I think.

Orr2Neely8

Apr 15, 2010
Raynham
We've been accustomed to the last 8 or 9 years where the Pats have been far and away favorites to get to the conference championship or Superbowl. Now they're not, but they're still a team that has a legit shot to get there. If this was 1999 in the Pete Carroll years, we'd be doing backflips over the fact that the Pats are 10-5 and in a position where they even have a shot at making a run. But after 17 years in the Brady era everyone is just muttering that this team sucks and has been a constant failure.

I'm not one of those people who ramble on about how they watched Hugh Millen go 1-15 while sitting on a frozen metal bench at Sullivan Stadium during a blizzard, so you punk millennials should take your first round loss and like it, but it is funny how perspective can change so dramatically over time.
Love this post !!!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We got Dan Fouts today

ramsey_no.gif

Reactions: JRull86

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
Is it me or does the video feed suck right now? I’m on Verizon Fios. When I switch to Redzone it’s clear, CBS feed is terrible.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I like the short passing game a lot. The WR screen to Hogan was a classic Patriots play that they haven't really run all year. Letting the WRs run with the ball has always been better for us than trying to complete long passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad