2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I hate to say this, but with Carlson, we should be focusing on Green if we're doing anything in free agency.

Some 4th line/13th forward guys too, preferably someone physical. I wouldn't hate Reaves, believe it or not.

I'd still prefer to fill cap space up taking a bad contract or two instead of creating our own. The talent is too thin at the top, and the middle will get bloated contracts again. Let's get a draft pick, prospect or even a roster player to eat a few years of cap dump.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I hate to say this, but with Carlson, we should be focusing on Green if we're doing anything in free agency.

Some 4th line/13th forward guys too, preferably someone physical. I wouldn't hate Reaves, believe it or not.

I'd still prefer to fill cap space up taking a bad contract or two instead of creating our own. The talent is too thin at the top, and the middle will get bloated contracts again. Let's get a draft pick, prospect or even a roster player to eat a few years of cap dump.
I think Detroit is very confident on re-signing Green since he wasnt traded at the deadline and the very weak UFA D crop this year

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Losing Archibald potentially after years of developing him in the system to be a future 4th line player for us to another team would be annoying. He brings everything we'd want in a 4th line energy guy. Give him the deal he deserves ffs.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Pettersson / xxx / Boeser
Baertschi / Horvat / Dahlen?
Leipsic / Sutter / Virtanen
Gaunce / Kerro / Eriksson
Granlund

Edler / Stetcher
Juolevi / Tanev
MDZ / Gudbranson (yuck)

markstrom
demko/nilsson

my best guess

Just curious - why do you have EP on LW? He can play LW but isn’t he at this best on RW?

Dahlen is also at his best on LW.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Losing Archibald potentially after years of developing him in the system to be a future 4th line player for us to another team would be annoying. He brings everything we'd want in a 4th line energy guy. Give him the deal he deserves ffs.
Over Brendan Gaunce..?..I'm with ya bud..

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Sutter-Dahlen
Goldobin-Gaudette-Archibald
Granlund-Gaunce-Gagner
Motte

Del Zotto-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Gudbranson
Juolevi

Markstrom
Demko

It’s ridiculous how soft this lineup is.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Over Brendan Gaunce..?..I'm with ya bud..
tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Assume the Bozak and Beagle rumours are true, and adding Reaves for some semblance of grit:

Baertschi-Horvat(C)-Boeser
Pettersson-Bozak-Eriksson
Granlund-Sutter(A)-Virtanen
Gagner-Beagle-Reaves
Motte

Edler(A)-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Tanev(A)
Pouliot-Biega
Hughes-Stetcher

Markstrom
Nilsson

- I think only one of Baertschi or Goldobin make it to training camp. I see them going in a package for a decent 2019 pick or prospect in return for taking on some salary (Hossa? Spezza?). I see Baertschi getting the edge due to some chemistry with Bo.
- I see Gaunce and Hutton being moved as well
- Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko start in Utica; will all appear by December

All in all, this roster is similar to the one from last year, albeit without the security of the Sedins eating up minutes, it also can afford to be a bit quicker. They will live and die playing a transition game which is something that Edler and Gudbranson do not excel at. I hope infusing this team with some elite playmakers (Pettersson and Hughes) will invigorate the PP1, and a more wide open league will benefit the team getting younger, faster, and more dynamic in transition. I realize this is a lot to ask for two rookies, especially one playing D, so success will probably be mixed.

Best case scenario, the Canucks take a page out of the VGK book, and spread scoring around across 4 lines, outscore their problems, all while goaltending shuts the door and challenge for a playoff spot. A likely downfall is that, like most years, the Canucks lack of depth on the blueline as well as up-and-down goaltending fails to hold up to the rigors of the NHL season. The knock on Tanev is that he can't be counted on for 82 games, but I would just like to ask "is that really so bad, and why should that be the expectation?"

The Canucks have seemingly "raised the floor" when it comes to defensive depth, however, and with the "bottom 5 (?)" defensemen all possessing similar skill sets, perhaps the key for this defense corps is to use rest and rotate them all in effectively. I am not sure why, but the NHL in particular is hung up on GP as a badge of honour when the NBA and MLB have tweaked their algorithms to incorporate rest more into their metrics (even true aces like Verlander and Kershaw break down). I am not an advanced stats zealot when it comes to the NHL, but maybe if rate stats (X/60Mins) rather than counting stats become more mainstream, the usage of players will also change as well.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Sutter-Dahlen
Goldobin-Gaudette-Archibald
Granlund-Gaunce-Gagner
Motte

Del Zotto-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Gudbranson
Juolevi

Markstrom
Demko

It’s ridiculous how soft this lineup is.
Add in the smallest draft class I’ve ever seen and it’s a bit worrisome.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
centres
horvat, sutter, gagner, granlund, gaudette, gaunce, pettersson

wing
boeser, baertschi, erikkson, goldobin, leipsic, motte, dahlen, archibald

15 forwards before free agents means basically a whole line of these guys will play for utica in addition to kero-boucher

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Imagine for a second, Canucks give Tryamkin 15million or 3 years. He buys out his own contract. He is partnered with Hughes!!

The next Chara and Krug.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
centres
horvat, sutter, gagner, granlund, gaudette, gaunce, pettersson

wing
boeser, baertschi, erikkson, goldobin, leipsic, motte, dahlen, archibald

15 forwards before free agents means basically a whole line of these guys will play for utica in addition to kero-boucher
Archibald I bet won't be back, Motte goes to Utica and Dahlen starts in Utica. As of now my guess is that Petersson basically has to play his way off of the team while Dahlen needs to play his way on at camp.
Depending on no players coming in UFA:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Gagner-Petersson
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaudette centering any of Goldobin, Gaunce and Leipsic.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Archibald I bet won't be back, Motte goes to Utica and Dahlen starts in Utica. As of now my guess is that Petersson basically has to play his way off of the team while Dahlen needs to play his way on at camp.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen
So we are basically looking at the same core comming back.minus the sedins.
So pretty much no changes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If he's healthy, I wonder if David Backes would be an option if Boston needs to dump salary.

3 years left at 6 million cap hit (though the salary is much lower) and he may be open to playing here as he tried to sign here in the past. I think a Backes + a couple picks for one of the Canucks cheap lineup fillers would suit both sides.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If he's healthy, I wonder if David Backes would be an option if Boston needs to dump salary.

3 years left at 6 million cap hit (though the salary is much lower) and he may be open to playing here as he tried to sign here in the past. I think a Backes + a couple picks for one of the Canucks cheap lineup fillers would suit both sides.

Backes signed an offersheet with Vancouver as a 24 year old coming off his 2nd pro-season when Vancouver was a lot closer to being a playoff team than they are now. With Backes having a NMC I think there is about a 0% chance he'd be willing to waive to come to this tire fire.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

virtanen on the checking line?

i think dahlen is more likely to stick than gaudette although that's a positional thing not a talent thing. i think they will send gaudette down to the ahl to keep him at centre rather than play him 9 minutes as a winger.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
virtanen on the checking line?

i think dahlen is more likely to stick than gaudette although that's a positional thing not a talent thing. i think they will send gaudette down to the ahl to keep him at centre rather than play him 9 minutes as a winger.
Well if not then it would basically be Jake on the 4th line- whereas I'd rather have him get a real look at producing in a top 9 role. With Cassels not being tendered as well I can definitely see them having Gaudette start in Utica as the 1C and then get called up. As for Dahlen like I said, I think he needs to play his way onto the team and even then with the glut of waiver eligible's we already have I could easily see him staring in Utica and being a callup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad