Patriots/NFL 2018 Regular Season - 1-0 - On to Jacksonville 9/16 4:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
In 2008 I was sitting on the Green Monster for Jason Bay's 1st game for Boston and Alan Embree came in to pitch for Oakland. The guys behind me started to boo him, and when we asked them why they would boo a guy from the 2004 team who never did anything wrong here and was let go by the team they thought the question was ****ing crazy and booed more. Then they were ********s to us.

My crazy friend wanted to throw them off the Wall, and I think we probably should have.
Of all the ex-players from Boston sports teams to boo, I don't think Alan Embree even cracks the top 1000.

That literally might be one of the stupidest things I've heard.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The whole moving adventure was a massive mistake. Spanos is legit one of the worst owners in sports for that. He couldn't extort the city of SD to build him a stadium, so he carelessly rushed into LA just to beat the Raiders there without any real forethought. The whole situation caused a major percentage of San Diego fans to renounce their support for the LA Chargers, and they're not exactly growing any new fans in the LA area since everyone in the city is a Raiders fan or a transplant from elsewhere, and Orange County (where they could've gotten a foothold) is still Rams territory from their years in Anaheim. And the new casual fans have to choose between the aging team which has historically underperformed with Philip Rivers at the helm or the young exciting team with Todd Gurley and a recent #1 draft pick franchise QB in Goff (not to mention the best defense in the NFC). Obviously the Rams are the choice meat there. It's going to be a massive failure and I am willing to wager that within 20 years the Chargers will have been sold and moved again.
I still don't understand why the NFL allowed them to even move in the first place.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I still don't understand why the NFL allowed them to even move in the first place.

They didn't have much choice. The stadium is crumbling and nobody was willing or able to help foot the bill for a new one. They may end up building an MLS stadium there, but that's only because it will be a fraction of the cost and will be shared with San Diego State.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They didn't have much choice. The stadium is crumbling and nobody was willing or able to help foot the bill for a new one. They may end up building an MLS stadium there, but that's only because it will be a fraction of the cost and will be shared with San Diego State.
I meant to LA.

I get the Chargers originally played in LA, but they had nowhere near the prestige that the Rams and Raiders did/do. They had to have know no one in LA would give a shit about them, especially after getting the Rams back the same year.

Not sure where I'd have put them, but LA wouldn't have been on that list.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

They should have sent the Chargers to Vegas and had the Raiders return to LA.

Or, you know, let their owner Spanos and his net worth of 2.3 billion pay for his own f***ing stadium in San Diego.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Okay, I'll complete the circle....

Why are we rooting against any of those four guys exactly?

I understand why people might root against a player that left the team under bad circumstances, but:

Patricia left to become a HC

Butler got benched in the SB and his contract was up.

Jimmy G was traded.

Solder was a FA and got a big payday the Pats weren’t going to give him.

I don’t get it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I understand why people might root against a player that left the team under bad circumstances, but:

Patricia left to become a HC

Butler got benched in the SB and his contract was up.

Jimmy G was traded.

Solder was a FA and got a big payday the Pats weren’t going to give him.

I don’t get it.
So far the only fans in here that are rooting against them is the poster who put up the image of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRull86

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you think I am actually rooting against those players than you're a true to life moron.

I'm not being sarcastic here, but what were people supposed to think? You posted that photo, which was pretty obviously taking a large amount of pleasure in the ex-Patriots struggles last week.

There was no comment, just the photo.

Going off of that post, one would not be a "true to life moron" (whatever that is) to think you were rooting against the people in the picture.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Maybe putting a few thoughts under the picture would have clarified your position on your feelings about said players?

I could have but I really had no thoughts on it. As mentioned above I was sharing something. Something I found interesting. Have no ill will towards any of those people. They all did what was best for them.

Professional sports is a crap shoot for players. They wanna maximize their younger years to make the most they can but they also dont want to be seen as unloyal or greedy.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I could have but I really had no thoughts on it. As mentioned above I was sharing something. Something I found interesting. Have no ill will towards any of those people. They all did what was best for them.

Professional sports is a crap shoot for players. They wanna maximize their younger years to make the most they can but they also dont want to be seen as unloyal or greedy.

The sharing, the literal act of sharing the photo, IS the thought. That was you communicating, just with an image instead of words. Seemed pretty obvious you were laughing at them. If that wasn't what you meant you did a bad job saying what you meant.

Talk gooder.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

No thoughts. Then keep it to yourself

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
At least the meme didn’t mention Amendola, who possibly had a worse game than any of the others. Mocking him after all he did for us would’ve been heresy (then again, so should at least three of the ones actually in the picture).

I want them to succeed personally, but I don’t particularly want the Giants, 49ers or Dolphins to win championships.

Reactions: VegasPatriot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad