Patriots/NFL 2018 Regular Season - 1-0 - On to Jacksonville 9/16 4:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Imagine going from the Patriots to having the Jets hang 48 on you in your home building?

Like half of that is directly Matt Stafford's fault through interceptions. What a garbage QB he is.

The Jets under Bowles really haven't been as bad as their record has indicated. They might push 7 wins if things go well for them this year.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
The three highest played QB’s (not named Rodgers) all had stinkers. Carr in particular I never understood. He had one of the best o-lines and two very good (although somewhat drop-prone) WR’s, and mustered above average to good (not great) statlines.

I guess the hype came from the amount of comebacks he made that one season, but those are highly situational and not necessarily indicative of any QB quality (at least with a small sample size). He may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Edit: Rodgers’s extension hasn’t kicked in yet, and neither has Matt Ryan’s, otherwise you could throw the latter in there as well.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The three highest played QB’s (not named Rodgers) all had stinkers. Carr in particular I never understood. He had one of the best o-lines and two very good (although somewhat drop-prone) WR’s, and mustered above average to good (not great) statlines.

I guess the hype came from the amount of comebacks he made that one season, but those are highly situational and not necessarily indicative of any QB quality (at least with a small sample size). He may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Edit: Rodgers’s extension hasn’t kicked in yet, and neither has Matt Ryan’s, otherwise you could throw the latter in there as well.

It doesn't help the NFL culture of every new contract has to be the 'highest ever'. So you get a lot of good to average QBs getting paid dumb money.

Reactions: Fossy21

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Imagine going from the Patriots to having the Jets hang 48 on you in your home building?

Belichick did not seem unhappy when Matt Patricia left for Detroit.

Mitch Albom: Detroit Lions play lousy, get lousy support

Before the game, his first as an NFL head coach, Matt Patricia bounced excitedly between his husky players, slapping their helmets and shoulder pads, as if he might join them in the field of battle. Bearded, stocky and dressed in all black, he looked like a guy who would serve you a hearty stout in an Irish pub, or captain a runaway pirate ship. He was feisty and fiery and ready to go, and the home crowd was, too.

And then the game started.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Dez sounds sexier than Corey Coleman, but from what I'm reading Dez's weaknesses (route running, separation) are the things the Patriots value the most in receivers. Dez is more of a size & strength guy to win contested balls, which are the types of throws Brady doesn't like to make (unless it's Gronk against an undersized safety).

Coworker of mine believes Dez wants to be on the Pats cuz of course a SB chance and Redskins to stick it to the Cowboys.

Read some Twitter thing that 2 weeks ago the Pats were meh on Dez but nothing new has been said.

I mean a 1 year deal with incentives and crap I would make that deal. If I am Dez I wanna play with GOAT

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
As far as this next sunday goes, I'd wish you guys and the Pats luck, but the thing is, I don't think they'll need it.

Loathe as I am to admit it, the Jacksonville team is pretty much the same kind of team they were last year; they're even worse is Fournette is hurt. Vanilla offense relying on the defense to play out of their minds (and stay on the field longer than they should). They're lucky they were able to hold the Giants back as much as they did.

That said, Jags are still better than everybody else in the AFC south. Not that that's saying much....

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Did anyone watch (parts of) the Dolphins game? I only just thought to check up on Amendola, and saw that he was targeted three times on 3rd down and didn't manage to convert either of them (coming a yard short once, where Tannehill proceeded to throw an incompletion in the following down), and of course Butler intercepted a pretty poor throw to the end zone where Danny fell down. He's the player of those who left to whom I wish the most luck, with all the restructured contracts he took for the Pats - would be a shame if he fizzled out. If Miami misuse him and he somehow end up back in NE, that would be fine, but he is getting up there in years.

As far as this next sunday goes, I'd wish you guys and the Pats luck, but the thing is, I don't think they'll need it.

Loathe as I am to admit it, the Jacksonville team is pretty much the same kind of team they were last year; they're even worse is Fournette is hurt. Vanilla offense relying on the defense to play out of their minds (and stay on the field longer than they should). They're lucky they were able to hold the Giants back as much as they did.

That said, Jags are still better than everybody else in the AFC south. Not that that's saying much....

Good luck to you too! Ever since I started watching football I've wanted the Jags to do well. Definitely the most likeable team in that division.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Dez is more of a size & strength guy to win contested balls, which are the types of throws Brady doesn't like to make (unless it's Gronk against an undersized safety).

He didn't seem to mind throwing those to Moss back in the day.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
He didn't seem to mind throwing those to Moss back in the day.

Moss (at 30) ≠ Dez (at 30)

Randy did come off an arguably worse season, though, so who knows.
I still think TB would love to air it out, he was (I think) the best deep ball passer last season, and near the top the year before that (when Hogan led the league in yards per reception, with a significantly higher catch ratio than most guys around him).
They were still smart throws, but I think Dez would find a way to get into position where Tom is comfortable throwing it there. Nothing to lose by getting either guy, and I hope Coleman excels.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget, Zach Hammill was a first round draft pick too.
I don’t think like that

They are as different as night and day

Hopefully for him and us Pats fans he can find success here

He was spectacular in college and his rapid demise is pretty crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad