OT: 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Thread

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
  • 1928 – Finished in 9th place
  • 1932Won bronze medal
  • 1936 – Finished tied in 5th place
  • 1952 – Finished in 8th place
  • 1956 – Finished in 6th place (United Team of Germany)
  • 1960 – Finished in 6th place (United Team of Germany)
  • 1964 – Finished in 7th place (United Team of Germany)
  • 1968 – Finished in 7th place
  • 1972 – Finished in 7th place
  • 1976Won bronze medal
  • 1980 – Finished in 10th place
  • 1984 – Finished in 5th place
  • 1988 – Finished in 5th place
  • 1992 – Finished in 6th place
  • 1994 – Finished in 7th place
  • 1998 – Finished in 9th place
  • 2002 – Finished in 8th place
  • 2006 – Finished in 10th place
  • 2010 – Finished in 11th place

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Lol great look for hockey ..
Germany vs a banned Country for gold ...

Hope Bettman and the owners are happy :) . I know they likely do not care

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Germany wins, although not that big of an upset imo.

Tbh I’m even surprised Canada got this far into the tournament when 37 year old Rene Bourque was their best forward.

Reactions: DXStriker

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is terrible hockey.. it's just a bunch of rejects.

However, all of these rejects would be better D than Alzner.

Yeah. I’ve seen people trying to make this German story out to be like the Miracle on Ice. There is no team like the Red Army in this tournament and it is what you said, a bunch of teams of rejects.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Why would they care? The Olympics are an enormous money machine that get all the financial returns, the NHL puts up all the risk. I wouldn't want my players going either.

Reactions: sandviper

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Curling (outside of mixed doubles) and hockey have been such a let down this year

Homan was the biggest surprise considering she went undefeated at the worlds last year with pretty much the same field .

They just could not get anything going , good thing for them they are still young and have another 2 or 3 trys at it .

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, the games are more exiting to me when Canada isn't an automatic gold winning juggernaut. That said, this roster could have been better. There are so many Canadians doing well in AHL/KHL/SHL/NCAA/junior that could have been included.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

They likely think it's schadenfreude. And in a way it is. "Don't wanna play ball with us at all, huh, IOC? Well there's what you get for your gold medal game!"

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Honestly, the games are more exiting to me when Canada isn't an automatic gold winning juggernaut. That said, this roster could have been better. There are so many Canadians doing well in AHL/KHL/SHL/NCAA/junior that could have been included.
How in the WORLD is this more exciting than watching some of the greatest teams EVER assembled in the history of hockey play WELL and borderline dominate other super well constructed and talented teams filled with, you know, the best players in the world at their sport, lol

Boy i knew i had to soak in that 2014 Team Canada and REALLY enjoy what i watched because i cant believe it turned out the NHLers werent coming in 2018 i really didnt think it would happen, complete bummer and let down that they couldnt figure something out

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
How in the WORLD is this more exciting than watching some of the greatest teams EVER assembled in the history of hockey play WELL and borderline dominate other super well constructed and talented teams filled with, you know, the best players in the world at their sport, lol

Boy i knew i had to soak in that 2014 Team Canada and REALLY enjoy what i watched because i cant believe it turned out the NHLers werent coming in 2018 i really didnt think it would happen, complete bummer and let down that they couldnt figure something out

Like I said, personal preference. When I watch a stacked Canada completely dominating and suffocating inferior opposition, it isn't very exciting. There was no real feeling that they have a shot at losing.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Like I said, personal preference. When I watch a stacked Canada completely dominating and suffocating inferior opposition, it isn't very exciting. There was no real feeling that they have a shot at losing.

VS USA gold medal game 2010, 3-2 W (no habs)
VS USA Semi-Final game 2014, 1-0 W (1.5 habs)

i dont know if you can watch better hockey than that..

but i do understand you to a certain degree, but 8-0 wins vs latvia are expected.. even the 2018 canadian olympic team ROLLED over a couple lesser countries this year

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm fairly certain our Juniors were better than this.

Just drop the WJHC every 4 years and let the kids become Olympians Put the amateur back into the Games.

That is a great suggestion, or like it is in soccer, under 23 years old.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Germany is going nuts over their win against our beer league guys. It is hilarious.

Not only was the hockey of very bad quality, but the jerseys were the ugliest I've seen for every nation. I mean, even Germany was horrendous.

Reactions: Rapala

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I wish this Craig McMorris would be a hockey guy. he would be great in the booth for laughs. He makes snowboarding the most exciting sport in the world. he's hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad